Spike Camp

Discuss the Weatherby Mark V® Ultramark™

Discuss the Weatherby Mark V® Ultramark™
« on: July 27, 2007, 12:26:31 PM »
The Ultramark™ is the bridge between the legendary Mark V® Deluxe and a custom-built rifle-a beautiful representative of the gunmaking craft.

Komninos

Re: Discuss the Weatherby Mark V® Ultramark™
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 03:54:34 AM »
My Weatherby Ultramark is in 270 Weatherby - this is not listed as part of the available calibres- how come?

There is also no provision for the 224 Weartherby - some people like me do have them .

GrampaDavie

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 07:29:59 AM »
Hmmmmm....Not the most popular topic around, it seems... ;)

However, the question about the 270 Weatherby not being listed as an Ultramark is a good one.  Especially so since the 2010 Weatherby Catalog lists only the 257 & the 300 as being available calibers then, parenthetically under the Mk V Ultramark headline, states that the "(.257 Wby Mag, .270 Wby Mag, 7mm Wby Mag, and .340 Wby Mag are available throught the Weatherby Custom Shop)".  I have only seen this statement in the printed Catalog.  I've not seen it on this site.

How are they available?  As extra cost Customs or as standard priced special order Ultramarks?  I've tried to make an Ultramark using the "Upgrade" & "Design Your Own" featues & can't get anything that resembles an Ultramark that is anywhere near the MSRP of the Ultramark shown on this site.

Come to think of it, exactly what is the difference between the Ultramark and the Deluxe that makes the Ultramark the bridge from the Deluxe to a Custom?  All I can see is the stock on the Ultramark being a higher grade wood than the stock on the Deluxe.  Is there anything else that differentiates the 2 rifles?

Please do not think I'm trying to difficult & trying to disparage Weatherby in any way.  I'm just a bit confused about this & would like some answers to my questions to alleviate that confusion.

Thanks for any help you can give me.... :)

GD 

cmaes

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 10:03:10 AM »
Grampadavie,
I just recieved my new ultramark in 257 with a zeiss 4.5x14x50 on top of it. I have other weatherby's, mark V deluxe, lazzermark, accumarks, and even a europa. The new ultramark by far is the best looking of them all, (just a great looking piece of wood). As far as the difference between them, It's all in the wood. It shoots no better or worse then any other wood stock mark V I own.

GrampaDavie

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 10:15:14 AM »
cmaes,

You've answered one of my questions by saying that the difference is all in the wood.  Considering the price difference it must be one outstanding piece of walnut.  Best of luck with your new 257, with the Zeiss it sounds to me like you've got a winner, and thanks for the reply.  I appreciate it.

Now if I could only find out if a 270 would be anywhere near the same price you paid... ;)

GD

GrampaDavie

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 02:44:51 PM »
I called the Weatherby Custom Shop and asked about how someone could get an Ultramark in a caliber other that .257 Wby Mag or .300 Wby Mag. since anything other than either of those calibers is NOT a production rifle.  I was told that  you have to order it through the Custom Shop. 

I was told that you can do it on this site using the "Design your own Weatherby" selection in the Custom Shop menu. In Part 1 - START - click in your choice of left or right handed, then "High Gloss" for the Metal work.  Next, in section 2,  "Weatherby Barreled Action" choose the code for the caliber you desire, such as HGB270WR6O - (the last two are the number six and the letter O, BTW) - to get the one you want.  Then skip all the next steps until you get to Step 6 - "Stocks"" and chose code #6250 - Ultramark #2.  Finish by continuing to the end. 

The person I talked to recommended that you go to any Weatherby Stocking Dealer & give him the 2 codes from above, for the barreled action and the stock, and he/she can price it and order the rifle for you.

I suppose you could also print out the results & take it to a stocking dealer.  Simple enough and either way would probably work... ;)

And, cmaes, you are right.  The difference between the Deluxe & the Ultramark is the stock wood.  All I was told is that Weatherby gets it from Northern California.  Claro Walnut, I guess.

I didn't get the name of the person that I talked to in the Custom Shop. My thanks to him again for being so courteous and helpful.

GD
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 02:47:16 PM by GrampaDavie »

Diavolicchio

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 04:40:43 AM »
I'm betting when you price out the custom caliber model, you're going to find that Weatherby adds a surcharge of at least a couple hundred dollars just to do custom work.  And this would be above and beyond the cost of the actual customization.

If someone on here actually takes the time to price out a different caliber of the Ultramark than the .257 or the .300, would you mind posting the break down in costs you're given?    Thanks.

John

GrampaDavie

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 06:07:44 PM »
$1,801............HGB270WR60 - .270 Weatherby Magnum - # 2 Contour - 26"

$1,172............6250 - Ultramark # 2 Stock

$2,973............Sub Total

$495...............CSCF1901 - Custom Shop Completion Fee #1 - Accuracy testing, etc

$195...............CSCF1902 - Custom Shop Completion fee # 2  - Assembly, Clean up, etc

$3,663.............1 through 4 above = MSR as of the date of this post

$3,029......MSRP on this site on this date for a .257 Wby Mag or .300 Wby Mag Ultramark

I'd have done this before, but I thought everyone would know that there would be a premium paid for the service.   I also thought they'd price it out themselves...;)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 06:12:35 PM by GrampaDavie »

Diavolicchio

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 12:17:11 AM »
It's nice Weatherby does custom work, but it's a damn shame they gouge you this much for doing it.     Leupold has a remarkable 'custom shop'. . .

https://customshop.leupold.com/custom_shop.php

. . . where they'll do pretty much anything you like, and they simply charge you the extras for each scope customization.    This whole business about Weatherby charging an additional $690 in customization fees just for bothering with your job leaves a bad taste in my mouth.   

Sure, charge something.    But a flat fee of $690 per gun, just for the inconvenience?   C'mon, folks. . .

John
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 12:20:03 AM by Diavolicchio »

GrampaDavie

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 08:31:32 AM »
Checking the Custom Shop again we find that you can modify a production rifle into a pretty good imitation of a custom rifle... ;D ...  This, to me, is where the non-production Ultramark could be built since it really is a simple stock upgrade to a "near custom" & not building a true custom.  IF the Ultramark stock was offered there you could get the following:

$1,828.........HGB270WR6O - .270 Wby Mag #2 barreled Action (normal part of the menu)
$1,172.........6250 - Ultramark #2 Stock (from the Build your own menu)
$3,000.........Sub Total

$55.............CBA2901 - Barreled Action Mod Completion fee (from the Upgrade menu that is only applied normally when some mod has been done to the rifle's action, etc...used here to get the dollar amounts a bit more in line...could be used also only for the Ultramark Upgrade or the $$$ for the Stock could be raised in the upgrade section)

$3,055.......MSRP (proposed)

$3,029.......MSRP of production .257 Wby Mag and .300 Wby Mag MK V Ultramark as of this date.

A bit better, IMO, but probably too low to actually achieve the GP desired to justify building it.  The price of the Stock could be increased by an amount to cover the amount required and still come in well under the customers cost of doing it as a "Build Your Own" Custom & look a lot better to a prospective customer.

This is not posted to criticize.  Simply as an observation and a possible suggestion.... :) 

Any comments?

« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 05:58:57 AM by GrampaDavie »

GrampaDavie

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 12:26:32 PM »
OK, if no one else will comment, I will... :P

This is still my dream Weatherby even if I have to pay extra for it in .270 Wby Mag.

Since it will go through the Custom Shop I may as well get exactly what I want and run it through for a few minor changes to make it even better... ;D

Gonna get it in .270 Wby Mag w/a high gloss 26" #2 chrome moly Krieger custom fluted barrel.  Please be so kind as to true the bolt face and reciever face after checkering the bolt knob and damascening the bolt & follower.  Then hand hone the action.  Make it even prettier by installing all of this good stuff in a Royal Ultramark #2 Stock.  I know your now gonna charge an extra $1K+ in fees, but that's fine.  This is a dream after all.... ;)

Hmmmm.....it seems I've gone out of the Ultramark into a true Custom.  Sounds OK to me.  I hope that Ed and the folks in the marketing dept realize that this is only a dream and not an order.... :D

GrampaDavie

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 01:27:30 PM »
FYI,

the Barreled action is now $1,837.  This makes the total @ $3,699.

Everything else seems to be the same.....:)

GrampaDavie

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 09:34:18 PM »
As of the date shown on this post the price is still $3,699.00.  I hope it stays at this price.  Or goes lower... ;D 

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 09:53:24 PM »
GrampaDavie:Sounds like you have an itch that needs to be scratched  ;D.Are you getting one?
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

GrampaDavie

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 07:40:36 AM »
GrampaDavie:Sounds like you have an itch that needs to be scratched  ;D.Are you getting one?
Not in this lifetime, Roger, unless I can convince the family that something is required for my major B'day in July (# 70).  I know my son is a bit of a gun nut, maybe I could convince him that an S2 Vanguard itch-scratcher is needed in the family.  Or a used Deluxe MK V from GI.  They even have some very handsome new ones, still in the box, for well under $2,000.  We'll see.

Until then I'll keep on dreamin'..;) 

« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 07:43:04 AM by GrampaDavie »