Spike Camp

Michigan DNR to require on line reporting of all Deer Harvest in 2022

A freind just sent me A link. That starting this hunting season.  All deer killed in MI. Must be registered on line. With all your Information and scanning your license by phone and even locating the kill sight on a provided map. You also must tell them where you purchased your license.  Or if your at the kill sight just let them know and it will mark your location.
Heck they could be waiting for you by the time you drag it to your truck. Things are moving pretty fast these days.
Mark

Grouchy

• Life is too important to take serious" Groucho
    • View Profile
Re: Michigan DNR to require on line reporting of all Deer Harvest in 2022
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2022, 01:50:14 PM »
Crazy! It seems they are forcing you to have a smart phone.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2022, 01:59:26 PM »
If they can't take your gun from you they'll make it where you don't need one.That's where we're headed
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2022, 04:14:33 PM »
Suppose you are in a no service area with your smart phone? Do they want your phone number when you get a permit so they can track you?  :)

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2022, 06:14:46 AM »
Kevin
You don't have to report it at the kill site. But you can by smart phone. I know I won't.  You can wait and do it from your home computer. MI gives you A successful deer hunter patch if you bring them in so they can check the age and for TB in some areas. This won't replace that. But it must be so they get A real accurate number of the harvest. Along with funding out more about you of course.
Mark

kmoore

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2022, 08:56:27 AM »
Oregon has being doing that for years. You can think its big brother going to get you . But its a much better way to know a number of kills in a unit vs old school and guessing. Oregon law is you need to report by phone or on line before the 1st of the year. Idaho says 10 days after a kill or season ends. They just ask for the unit number. I have hunted where you mark on a map the kill site before leaving the unit. If your hunting legally, I don't think its a big deal. I don't know about other states, but in Oregon most game is surveyed by flights over the land and counted, then the numbers are estimated. That data is used to determine the number of tags to be sold the next year. That's a far cry from hard data on the real number of hunters and kills. Anyone think the number of bear or cougar sighted by air is anyway a real or even close number of what's on the ground.
 BTW, in Oregon for bear counts in western Oregon they also use a bear bait method. That involves placing peanut butter bait balls about the size of baseballs with dye in it. There placed in the same place year after year. Bears harvested are checked for dye stains on their gums against unit and year color. Bear and cougar kills have been required to be brought into a stations and checked for decades. In the end the wildlife people are taking the word of the hunter where it was taken from. All in all it will produce better data for future hunts.           
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 12:15:13 PM by kmoore »
kmoore

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2022, 10:06:10 AM »
In Maryland, we had to check the deer in at a fairly local check station taken during regular season.  The one closest to my dad's farm in Dorchester county was a general store. We could take 5 deer of either sex in each of the 3 seasons,bow, gun and muzzle loader.  When we were doing crop damage permits, no check in was required. The stations were closed after regular seasons. DNR was counting the road kills as well. There is a one mile section of US Rte 113 just south of Berlin, Md. where the average was 1 deer a day road kill. There was no online or smart phone tracking.

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2022, 07:39:11 PM »
In Maryland, we had to check the deer in at a fairly local check station taken during regular season.  The one closest to my dad's farm in Dorchester county was a general store. We could take 5 deer of either sex in each of the 3 seasons,bow, gun and muzzle loader.  When we were doing crop damage permits, no check in was required. The stations were closed after regular seasons. DNR was counting the road kills as well. There is a one mile section of US Rte 113 just south of Berlin, Md. where the average was 1 deer a day road kill. There was no online or smart phone tracking.
Now you can check all game in on line in MD ;D
TD