Spike Camp

Please Help ID This Rifle

Please Help ID This Rifle
« on: September 02, 2022, 02:41:24 PM »
Hello,

New member here.  Someone passed away and left this rifle to me.  I thought it was a Weatherby as I have never seen one.  When I sent the pictures attached to Weatherby, they informed me this is not a Weatherby.  I was directed to this forum from another forum.

Basically I was told by Weatherby this is a 1940s/1950s Mauser-like action with a generic wood stock, in 7 mm WBY, made to look like a Weatherby.  Can someone please help me ID this?  Thank you.

Re: Please Help ID This Rifle
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2022, 09:06:24 PM »
I think it is exactly as they said, a rifle based on a commercial 98 Mauser action on a “Weatherby style” stock. Not a bad rifle though!
JK

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2022, 09:50:41 PM »
Good chance it is a Roy Weatherby conversion he built before the advent of the Mark V.  He often rechambered Mauser actions to his calibers.  Nice rifle!
BPH

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2022, 10:09:08 PM »
It's not a Weatherby.SN and 7mm WBY script is not right.No diamond in the grip cap.What does the butt pad have printed on it?Stock is too straight.Not enough drop in the comb.It's just not right.Not even for a Southgate garage gun.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2022, 11:47:12 AM »
I've been a Weatherby fan since the early '70s, but backthen they were above my pay grade.  In the late '70s I built a .22-250 and a .257 Ackley using Mauser Mark X actions and I put them in Fajen semi-inleted stocks.  They were my "poor man's" Weatherbys.

The stock in question looks a lot like the Fajen ones that I have, like this one on my .22-250.
NRA Endowment Life Member

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2022, 03:01:04 PM »
Thanks all for the responses.  Dug into this more and it appears this is a Santa Barbara Spanish made rifle.  There appears to be an "Rx" or "Ry" stamp on the barrel along with the number "69" and a torx like symbol.  Is this a decent rifle to hand load, hunt and shoot with?  I own a 30-06 from a different company and it's a newer model.  I was invited on a elk hunt out west.  Would this make a good elk rifle?  What about deer back east?

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2022, 03:04:28 PM »
More pictures

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2022, 06:55:49 PM »
Santa Barbara Mauser actions were a good commercial action. 7mm Weatherby is a great elk caliber! Should be great for an elk hunt out west.
JK

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2022, 05:40:52 AM »
Santa Barbara Mauser actions were a good commercial action. 7mm Weatherby is a great elk caliber! Should be great for an elk hunt out west.
Thank you!

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2022, 10:09:08 AM »
The 7mm Wby cartridge is my favorite Weatherby chambering. Looks like you got a nice rifle. Have you scoped the bore or at least looked down it? I handload for mine.
JW

I like rifles with wood stocks

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2022, 06:49:50 PM »
Thank you for all the responses.  Any issue as to why this rifle will not handle the 7 mm mag loads?  I've seen varying opinions regarding the questionable strength of the action's steel, and different sized "rings"?

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2022, 02:26:52 PM »
If its a large ring Mauser 98, I don't see why it wouldn't handle magnum pressures. If you have any concern about that, I would have it inspected by a qualified gunsmith. The fact that someone built this into a 7mm Wby and presumably used it, makes me think you should be fine.
JW

I like rifles with wood stocks