Spike Camp

Crushing bottleneck when bullet seating

Crushing bottleneck when bullet seating
« on: September 06, 2022, 04:40:07 PM »
I just got a 30/378 and have heck of a time bullet seating without squishing the neck down into the case most will work but some stick. I I used case chamfer and started a tipping a small amount of sizing wax inside of neck after I put my powder in and seams to help. What am I doing wrong please help

Re: Crushing bottleneck when bullet seating
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2022, 06:10:41 PM »
Tell us about your dies and how you set them up, sizing and seater.
Any man who would compromise his freedom in pursuit of safety deserves neither freedom or safety...BF

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2022, 10:31:02 AM »
Is the brass new? Have you checked neck thickness. Older brass that has been reloaded several times may have flowed forward enough to increase neck thickness. If possible check the dimensions of the seating die to insure that the die isn't to small. If you are using .378 brass that has been necked down, that would be your problem. One other thought, can you borrow a seating die from a friend to try?

257 Shooter

• 257 Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2022, 02:37:12 PM »
Your seating die is likely not adjusted correctly and it’s trying to crimp as the bullet is being seated. Back it out a few turns and readjust the bullet seating stem.

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2022, 09:27:54 PM »
Your seating die is likely not adjusted correctly and it’s trying to crimp as the bullet is being seated. Back it out a few turns and readjust the bullet seating stem.

Bingo!!!