Spike Camp

Mark 5 super predator vs vanguard

Grouchy

• Life is too important to take serious" Groucho
    • View Profile
Re: Mark 5 super predator vs vanguard
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2022, 08:32:36 AM »
Looking at Barnes manual, the 45, 50 and 53gr bullets will stabalize in a 1 in 12. I have loaded the 50 gr. TSX and had good luck in both my AR's. I wouldn't hesitate to use those on anything I would hunt with a .223.

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2022, 10:58:24 PM »
I had a couple of super predators in 223, and your right they did have 1-12" twist barrels. Both were very accurate with 50-55gr bullets, nothing heavier.

Rob

Did you find that you were limited in any way or you were satisfied with 50-55gr bullets

nope, I prefer 40-55 gr bullets in my 223's. There is at least a dozen 223's around here, about every truck has one in it.
They are used for predator/pest/ varmint control.  If  want to shoot heavier bullets I prefer using 24 cals.

Depends on what you want to do with the 223, if you just want to shoot around at the range or do some varmint hunting out to 300 ish yards then bullets up to 55grs will do just fine. Also 55gr 223 ammo likely the cheapest you will find. If you want to shot farther out then you will be better with a rifle with the faster twisted barrels so it will shoot the heavier bullets.

Rob

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2022, 04:42:55 PM »
A lot of considerations, how much are they asking for the MKV super predator master ?   that would be my first question ,  my second question  is what are you planning on doing with the rifle i.e target shoot for fun, use it for hunting ? combination of both ?  and do you re-load ?  Nothing wrong with shooting the lighter weight bullets made for 1:12 or 1:14  twists 40 to 55 gr a little heavier in some rifles,  VS  Vanguards 1:9 twist and heavier bullets,  we have guns that shoot 50 gr to 68 gr in 1:9 twists pretty darn well.  heavier bullets generally higher b/c's at slower velocities which basically means past a certain distance the higher b/c bullets will take over with less bullet drops ,  there are always exceptions.  Just food for thought if using it for anything larger than small game  coyotes on down in size, especially at greater distances  400yds or a lot  more,   I would go with the Vanguard and it's heavier bullets.  Some people use 223's for deer I think it's a little too lite personally but people still use then and that's OK for them.  If you don't re-load at this time and place you are kind of at the mercy of ammo availability and what either rifle likes or dis-likes.   If you re-load done deal you can fine tune your loads on either gun.  You can always buy both at different times if needed. 
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 04:45:54 PM by zoniezonie »