Spike Camp

Help With An Old German Mark V Trigger Group

Help With An Old German Mark V Trigger Group
« on: October 10, 2022, 07:44:32 PM »
Hi All,

Apologies if this has been covered before. I am new to the forum. I'm trying to help out a relative who wanted help with his grandfather's Mark V chambered in 300 Weatherby Magnum. It's a 1959 production gun with a Sauer barrel as best I can tell.

I was originally troubleshooting a safety issue and trying to adjust the set screws when the zinc trigger housing cracked. From reading it seems like this is a known issue.

I contacted Wisner's who used to make replacement trigger housings but has since stopped: http://www.wisnersinc.com/weatherby-german-mk-v-trigger-housing/
And searched eBay/Numrich for replacement zinc housings with no avail.

He wants this rifle functional again.

Am I correct in my understanding that the only way forward is to replace the bolt sleeve and get a new safety housing along with a new trigger?

Has anyone performed this retrofit, and if so, can they offer insight on part #s used, where they found the parts, and so on?

Thanks!

224KING

• View Profile
Re: Help With An Old German Mark V Trigger Group
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2022, 09:52:51 PM »
You might be able to get a Timney replacement with the safety on the trigger.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

Grouchy

• Life is too important to take serious" Groucho
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2022, 03:57:31 PM »
By emailing Timney, I got the proper replacement trigger for my PFI Mark V from 1958. Asking them can't hurt. Contacting Weatherby might provide answers as well.  :)

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2022, 05:39:42 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions! I will email Timney and see what they said, I was thinking of putting one of their triggers in the rifle anyway, since a late German trigger on Numrich is only a few bucks less. Will report back if I have any luck with Timney or Weatherby!

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2022, 06:00:40 PM »
You are correct, it was a known issue, most people have replaced them more than 40 years ago/
There are no replacement triggers for it anymore.  I have the same rifle, which I retired 20 years ago.  Keeping mine original. Trigger is intact.
You might find a an old Canjar, but its extremely rare.  Tminey used to have one, but not in a few decades.
The only solution is to send it to Weatherby, they will replace the bolt sleeve if they still have it, and install a more modern triger.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 06:39:37 PM by asd9055 »

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2022, 11:39:51 AM »
An update for anyone curious:

I emailed Timmy and they said they no longer manufacture the trigger for the old German guns.

I called Weatherby and they said they can perform the conversion to a newer trigger unit for about $300 plus shipping to them, which is about what I would have had to pay for a new bolt sleeve and Timney trigger unit, which they said they use for the conversion on these old guns.

Thanks all for the advice! Hope this thread will hope others in the future if they too have cracked trigger units.

Grouchy

• Life is too important to take serious" Groucho
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2022, 03:07:04 AM »
Thanks for the feedback!  Good luck with it!  :)