Spike Camp

Electric Socks ?

Electric Socks ?
« on: October 12, 2022, 07:28:56 PM »
My brother asked me if I use Electric socks for deer hunting. And I never have. He said he loves them. He's 13 years older than me. And his feet use to get cold as we are stand hunters for the Michigan deer season. And it can get cold in late Nov. And Dec.
So as I'm aging my feet have been getting cold even with the best socks and boots. And even a heater in the blind. Doesn't work it's way to your feet.
Does anyone have A good brand of Electric sock they would recommend ?
Thank You
Mark

eford

• View Profile
Re: Electric Socks ?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2022, 07:44:29 PM »
Different take: I will always recommend SmartWool medium to thick wool socks. For that matter any medium density Merino wool sock is going to keep your feet warm, even without a Thinsulate lined boot. Socks that nearly reach the knee are almost like wearied fleece lined field pants.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

Grouchy

• Life is too important to take serious" Groucho
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2022, 03:26:14 AM »
Check out "the warming store". I found it on a google.  :)

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2022, 07:45:08 AM »
I use Merino Wool and love them.  Granted, here in GA we don't get as cold as you do in MI.  But, when I hunt in SD, I use the same socks, and my ft stay dry and warm.  I've also used the Articshield insulated boot covers, and they are great. :)
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2022, 08:20:23 AM »
Not sure about socks but Carhart, makes good heated vests and jackets.
It can get really cold sitting on stand. I had a pair of goose down coveralls just for that
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 06:26:22 PM by .257 »
Mike

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2022, 08:49:20 AM »
I can get really cold hands and sometimes feet too. Never tried electric socks, so can't recommend any. Two things however - one, if you can keep your torso warm by really layering, starting with good thermal underwear on up to a sweater or thermal clothing under a very good quality coat, your extremities will not get as cold as fast. Wearing the best possible coat is sometimes overlooked - the warmest coat I own I've had for 40 years (and still have) is a Navy flight deck jacket with a "Extreme cold weather" liner in it. If temps creep above low-mid 20s, I'm sweating like a pig in that thing! Shows what a good coat can do - a proper coat makes a huge difference. Second, if you have boots that are oversize to allow for heavy socks/layering, you may be able to slip a "HotHands" warmer down in each boot (close to on top of the toes as possible) when you put them on. Those things are toasty - 130 F for up to 8-10 hours and no batteries to dick around with. I stick them in my gloves. Good luck, having frozen cold extremities sucks!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 09:41:07 AM by TexWeatherby »
Come and take it.

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2022, 09:07:16 AM »
never use them, but I never had a problem with cold feet or hands. But I agree with what tex posted on get heavier boots( you can get boots rated to -60C) and get them oversized, so you can layer socks, or some good thermo socks. I do know some that use those hot pockets, and they seem to like them.

Rob

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2022, 03:36:03 PM »
Staying comfortable in a stand is a purely personal decision, just like caliber and optics. Cold don't cut it.  :)

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2022, 11:50:20 PM »
If you figure out best electric socks let me know ! nothing worst than getting cold out hunting.   I* blew out my 1000 gram cemented sole leather hunting boots last year and haven't got around to buying a new pair (got a lot of different boots) I don't like any cemented sole boots for serious hiking/hunting I much prefer old school quality leather, re-soleable, re-buildable boots i.e stitch down construction,  at least this type of boot construction will give you a warning when the soles start to let go.  Been using a combination of socks depending upon how cold and type of boot I'm wearing,  really cold snow hunting usually nylon socks under a good med to heavy wool socks, and I take multiple pairs of socks and xtra boots ,  usually 1 pair of insulated camp pull on boots for nature breaks at night , 1 pair of medium insulated leather boots 400 gram, 1 pair of heavy leather 800 to 1000 gram boots and  sometimes a pair of heavy nylon/rubber air bob Sorels.  which still get cold if just sitting around and not moving.   Next week will be taking my uninsulated Whites smoke Jumper boots with heavier wool socks it  might snow.  Coldest I've ever been elk hunting my dad's old friend gave me a pair of U.S.Army glosches /over boots to put over my leather hunting boots, and my feet never got cold and the temp was never above 20 below for a week with snow, in a wall tent,  they were a life saver.  get them at surplus stores or online  for about 20 to 40 bucks , not easy to walk in but your feet aren't as cold either.  I'm darn sure not above getting a couple pairs of electric socks the older I get.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 11:59:25 PM by zoniezonie »

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2022, 04:26:23 AM »
I need air conditioned socks for my snake proof boots!   ;D

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2022, 07:23:06 AM »
If you figure out best electric socks let me know ! nothing worst than getting cold out hunting.   I* blew out my 1000 gram cemented sole leather hunting boots last year and haven't got around to buying a new pair (got a lot of different boots) I don't like any cemented sole boots for serious hiking/hunting I much prefer old school quality leather, re-soleable, re-buildable boots i.e stitch down construction,  at least this type of boot construction will give you a warning when the soles start to let go.  Been using a combination of socks depending upon how cold and type of boot I'm wearing,  really cold snow hunting usually nylon socks under a good med to heavy wool socks, and I take multiple pairs of socks and xtra boots ,  usually 1 pair of insulated camp pull on boots for nature breaks at night , 1 pair of medium insulated leather boots 400 gram, 1 pair of heavy leather 800 to 1000 gram boots and  sometimes a pair of heavy nylon/rubber air bob Sorels.  which still get cold if just sitting around and not moving.   Next week will be taking my uninsulated Whites smoke Jumper boots with heavier wool socks it  might snow.  Coldest I've ever been elk hunting my dad's old friend gave me a pair of U.S.Army glosches /over boots to put over my leather hunting boots, and my feet never got cold and the temp was never above 20 below for a week with snow, in a wall tent,  they were a life saver.  get them at surplus stores or online  for about 20 to 40 bucks , not easy to walk in but your feet aren't as cold either.  I'm darn sure not above getting a couple pairs of electric socks the older I get.
      Good post Zonie!
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2022, 01:47:56 PM »
I haven't tried the electric socks, but I do throw a pair of boot blankets in my pack to put over my boots when its below zero. They seem to make a big difference in keeping my feet warm!
Doug

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2022, 07:51:51 AM »
As I said I have some of the best boots you can buy. Muck boot Artic Pro 's good from 30 to -60
They are what I use Ice Fishing too. And Rocky Grizzlys 1000 grams of thermal insulation.
But Sitting Is Sitting. Specially in a frozen tree stand. I use wigwam silk sock lingerie with the best sock rocky had when I bought them. But I do not know if they are Marino Wool. I will get some and try them. What I have been reading about are the new rechargeable electric socks and vest that have become very popular.  Scent look has the vest now for $200
The socks I am looking at are $ 80 but you can get cheap ones for $35 up to $150.
I was thinking on trying them for stand hunting.
So you can just turn them on when you need a warm up. Beats standing up in the blind and doing toe lifts.
 I will be happy to be the ginny pig and give a report.

Mark

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2022, 01:28:50 PM »
Thermacell makes a headed insole that you can transfer to different boots. I would say they get warm but not hot.
On the high setting I get about 4 hrs. on a charge.
The Kemi moto socks look like a winner, and they got good reviews from what I have read.

Terry 
Guns have two enemies....rust and government
OFHA and CCFR member