Spike Camp

The 6.8 Western

eford

• View Profile
The 6.8 Western
« on: October 29, 2022, 10:34:30 AM »
Is this one dying on the vine? While there a new name for a cartridge, a faster twist rate, a heavier bullet, are Browning and Winchester trying to carve a spot for the 6.8 Western that doesn’t exist? Not far off from the 6.8 is the 277 Sig. About a year ago I said the 277 Sig Fury is the recreation of the 270 Wby and “welcome to 1944” referring to when Roy Weatherby brought out his 270 Wby. The 6.8 is not a 270 Wby and won’t be better, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 07:49:26 PM by eford »
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

Grouchy

• Life is too important to take serious" Groucho
    • View Profile
Re: The 6.8 Western
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2022, 10:59:55 AM »
I liked the idea of the heavy for caliber bullets . When they took so long to get rifles on the market, it killed the whole thing for me. Too many gun companies make a model for the press to sing the praises over something new that is not availble for months or even years to the buyers. I'll spend my money elsewhere.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 02:00:50 PM by Grouchy »

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2022, 11:40:07 AM »
I rarely get very excited about new cartridges, because all the bases have been covered pretty well for years. Splitting hairs on performance gains is just that. A deer shot with a good 'ol .270 WBY will be just as dead as with some new "breakthrough" round and it shoots flat enough for reasonable ranges.
Come and take it.

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2022, 03:05:00 PM »
If we chose not to recognize progress, we would still be using 270 Win and 30-06 and not any Weatherby loads.  ;D

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2022, 06:00:15 PM »
I agree…it is dying on the vine. I think Browning has some rifles available for that round, but I haven’t seen anything on the shelf or online from Winchester.

Hornady just released the 7mm PRC, which will likely contribute to the death of the 6.8 Western.

Screw a faster twist barrel on a 270 WSM and you’ll have a better performer than the 6.8 Western.
JK

txaggie

• If it bleeds we can kill it
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2022, 07:40:54 PM »
Winchester seems to be on their own island, the wsm and wssm's were all a great concept just not enough following with the exception of the 270 and 300. others just never seemed to get enough wind under the wings to take off, i'm sure the western will fall in that and as mentioned the 7prc is prob gonna be a hot ticket.

Wonder if wby is working up a rpm making something to fall in the LW designed rifles?

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2022, 07:12:43 AM »
Not sure and I have to admit I don't care but I think the short mags and the 6.8 ww was designed with the Military in mind. The offerings in besides 7mm and 300 were to regain some development cost.
Right now there is a 6.8 mm hybrid auto weapon round that incorporates a poly case with a steel case head to solve the extraction problem.
Winchester is looking for a big fat Military contract.
TD

txaggie

• If it bleeds we can kill it
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2022, 08:27:27 AM »
wasn't the 6.8spc designed with the same hope?

It's just interesting - nothing wrong with the cartridge's other ammo/gun manufacturers don't get behind them and they don't take off. IE 264 "win" mag - there was a 6.5 running 3000-3100 FPS and the mass wanted a 270. Now everyone owns 2-3 6.5's that run about 3k fps - lol

PRC's will be built by 10 or more diff gun/ammo manufacturers and others to follow. Yes hornady maybe the king of marketing.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2022, 09:17:50 AM »
Hornady has been pretty good at it lately
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2022, 02:12:19 PM »
Well…if I was in the market for a new rifle/cartridge in this category, I would probably select the 7mm PRC.

I think Winchester/Browning completely fumbled the launch of the 6.8 Western. I think that cartridge is going to die a quick death…

I’m not sure what is going on with Winchester lately - I’m not seeing a whole lot of Model 70s on the shelves lately.
JK

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2022, 03:16:07 PM »
Quick search resuting in one rifle in this caliber at $2400! One loaded box choice of ammo on Midway, zero dies and no brass!  They blew it! Hell, I can find ammo and brass for my 325WSM easier! There seems to be a bunch of those 6.8
Western rifles on gun broker at inflated prices.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 04:48:16 PM by Grouchy »

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2022, 05:51:34 PM »
Well…if I was in the market for a new rifle/cartridge in this category, I would probably select the 7mm PRC.

I think Winchester/Browning completely fumbled the launch of the 6.8 Western. I think that cartridge is going to die a quick death…

I’m not sure what is going on with Winchester lately - I’m not seeing a whole lot of Model 70s on the shelves lately.
Made in Portugal says it all.
TD

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2022, 09:11:17 AM »
Last time I was in my local gun store, they was saying that they haven't sold a 6.8 western yet, and there was little interest in it. It's one of those cartridges that dead before it even got started.  That 7 PRC looks like a decent cartridge, now if weatherby did something similiar  and bring out the 7 RPM with the fast twist barrels, I doubt they would have problems selling them.

Rob

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2022, 05:12:25 PM »
As mentioned, the 6.8 is a 270 WSM necked to receive a bigger bullet weight. I love my 270 WSM but am hoping to pull the trigger on a 270 Weatherby Mag soon. Just flat out love that cartridge even though it doesn't get enough love IMO

Terry
Guns have two enemies....rust and government
OFHA and CCFR member

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2022, 11:11:55 PM »
I've harped on this for I don't know how long .  manufacturers need to think outside the box.  Don't get me wrong innovation and new ideas spark my interest far faster than a new twist on an old platform / subject or has already been done before in the past,  people just may have never heard of it that's why we have some many wildcat cartridges out there that fell by the wayside.  Granted we do have improvements in bullets and powders along with ballistic & optical equipment that extends the shooting ranges.  In this day and economy it better be far far better than what's already available for me to lay down the cash on something I more than likely don't have a need for or already have something similar that does basically the same thing.  Manufacturers are peeing in the wind as far as I'm concerned along with throwing valuable assets and money into products especially on the gun/ammo side that hold little to no real super advantage over what has already been made or has been done in the past, and in todays world components and hardware may or may not be readily available to the public in any great amounts.   Timing is everything I think in a crowded market.  Just my opinion companies need to do what they do best in a very good quality product in the short term and  continuing,  but in the  long term  get idea people in there and start thinking, inventing new better more efficient ways of launching projectiles.  then I might be interested.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 11:21:08 PM by zoniezonie »