Spike Camp

2022 Antelope

2022 Antelope
« on: November 03, 2022, 11:33:36 AM »
After a discouraging opening day on an eastern Montana Block Management ranch that I had hunted numerous previous years, I completely changed areas and finally got a little meat for the freezer from some BLM land.

Here's the beautiful eastern Montana sunrise on my third morning,

The first hour of glassing wasn't very promising with only seeing a few distant does.  Then as I was driving out to the county road I saw a small herd with at least one buck in it going over a hill about 1/2 mile from me.

I stalked to 258 yards from them and as I was tying my hunting partner to a sage brush, a couple of does saw us and got the whole herd running.  I normally don't take a running shot, but I felt comfortable on my shooting sticks, led one of the bucks, and heard the WACK of my bullet hitting him. 

He slowed to the back of the herd and they all disappeared around another hill a half mile away. 

When I got around that hill all I could see was miles of open prairie.  I knew they didn't run to my left, so I went to the right and hadn't gone 200 yards when he jumped up, ran a few yards and looked back.  My next shot folded him.

This was my first hunt with this pair of trigger sticks and I forgot that I had a camera attachment for them, so I just got this pic of him and my hunting partner, Zoe.

On the walk back to my truck to get my game carrier, Zoe flushed 3 bunches of Prairie Chickens.  Luckily, I didn't have my shotgun as they're fun to shoot but taste terrible.

I have a homemade one wheel game carrier and luckily the 1 1/2 mile pack out was pretty flat, and a cold Coors Light shure tasted good when we got back to my truck.

In 1978 I put a Mauser Mark X barreled action chambered in .257 Ackley Improved in a Fajen stock blank for my deer and antelope rifle.  A few years ago I put a Leupold VX 3 4.5-14x40 scope with their B&C reticle on this rifle.  Over the years, this rifle and my 117 gr Sierra GameKing handloads have put many deer, antelope, sheep, and elk in my freezer and on my Trophy Room walls.

NRA Endowment Life Member

danno50

• View Profile
Re: 2022 Antelope
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2022, 11:43:30 AM »
Congrats buffybr, nice antelope and good hunt story details.
DosEquisShooter

3X8

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2022, 11:51:48 AM »
Congrats!

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2022, 12:19:21 PM »
Beautiful!  Congrats!!!!!  Love your hunting partner, nothing like a faithful pooch! 
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2022, 12:44:16 PM »
Nice goat, good story and good shooting. Like your hunting partner You're going to enjoy some of the tenderest game met available. Congratulations.

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2022, 03:08:52 PM »
Nice goat, good story and good shooting. Like your hunting partner You're going to enjoy some of the tenderest game met available. Congratulations.
Yeah, I shot him on Sunday, got home that night, hung him up and cut out the tenderloins.  My GF helped me cut him up that Thursday and I BBQ'd the tenderloins.  Simply delicious!  The next day we ground the burger with 10% beef fat so I got 20# of burger, one meal of tenderloins, and 10 packages of backstrap steaks.  I pressure cooked and coarse ground all of the trimmings to suppliment Zoe's dry dog food.

On Saturday we cooked one package of burger for tacos with enough meat left over for tacos again on Monday, and we cooked another package of burger for chile on Sunday with enough left over that we froze for another meal.

We like antelope meat!
NRA Endowment Life Member

txaggie

• If it bleeds we can kill it
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2022, 03:52:05 PM »
love some speed goats! Well done;

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2022, 04:02:27 PM »
Awesome work. And love the photos. Top job.
Aussie gun nut.

Grouchy

• Life is too important to take serious" Groucho
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2022, 04:32:27 PM »
Jealous!  Nice! ;D

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2022, 05:00:29 PM »
Congratulations.  I used to have a 257 AI it was a Mauser action with a Douglas barrel in a Fajen stock looked very similar to yours. Was a good shooter.  Took alot of Whitetail, Mulies and hogs with it. Thanks for sharing.
And on the 8th Day God created the .300 Weatherby and God saw the .300 Weatherby was good, and God divided the .300 Weatherby from the rest.

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2022, 05:24:22 PM »
Looks like a wonderful hunt, congratulations

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2022, 11:08:43 PM »
Congrats on another successful hunt Buffy. Your hunting partner seems to approve also.
Bill

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2022, 08:09:45 PM »
Hello everyone.  Still haven't been lucky and drawn, yet.  Was around Drumheller, Alberta last week and they are starting to show up again in herds. Long time since I've seen a herd of 24 animals. They say the herds here are sparse .

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2022, 08:12:14 AM »
This is impressive both as a hunt the great state of Montana and as a hunting rifle in a cartridge I think is overlooked.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.