Spike Camp

Woes of Selling a Used Weatherby

Woes of Selling a Used Weatherby
« on: November 09, 2022, 09:48:24 PM »
Maybe it's because of geographic location, or maybe it's the current economy, but I've had a heck of a time finding potential buyers for my Accumark.

I bought the Accumark chambered in 300WIN around 2016 in hopes of chasing elk. In 2019, I finally made a trip to Colorado and got a public land bull on a OTC, DIY hunt. Flash forward to 2022 and I've got another kid, one more on the way, a crap economy and no elk stomping around Southern Louisiana (thanks Uncle Sam for sending me to the BEST places). So I figured I'd sell the Weatherby to free up some funds. If I happen to get another elk tag, I have other rifles that could bring down an elk at reasonable ranges. But everywhere I take the rifle I get more or less the same reply: "Thanks for letting us see it, your price is reasonable, but we don't want to make an offer."

Has anyone else had this issue? Are Weatherby's a "niche" gun? I'm almost to the point of giving up and just holding on to it, rather than accepting 1/3 of the asking price, which was my only offer so far.
"The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence."

Re: Woes of Selling a Used Weatherby
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2022, 10:37:58 PM »
I don't think Weatherby Mark V's are niche guns,  it's a gun it's a tool to be used like most other guns,  it's just going to take the right person at the right time just like anything else for someone to buy it. 

txaggie

• If it bleeds we can kill it
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2022, 05:37:08 PM »
supply and demand, log into gunbroker and search 300 weatherby's - yes yours is a win which depends on location/preferences as to is that more or less desired. The bottom line is there's just a bunch out there for sale - probably because they are overkill for most uses in the eyes of the hunter in my opinion. Selling one here in texas is crazy right now - found a guy who wanted to trade for a 270 both guns are LH models figured why not. I have a couple 300's and frankly have never killed anything with them, just not much need around here. Big 7's and 300's were the rave back in the day, now they are just not.

Good luck with it;

kmoore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2022, 08:29:20 AM »
Just my thought's I am not picking on anyone with my comments. When I want to sell something quickly and make the most money. The item really needs to be special or be willing to just wait to find that right buyer. Every business I take a item to sell will only buy it wholesale to sell it at retail to make money. That goes with vehicles, guns etc, etc.
With firearms I look through GB or other nation wide sales and learn what others are selling the same thing for. Problem is most of the time we don't know what the gun actually sold at.
If as an example; My gun with same type scope/condition is for sale from 1200 to 1500. I am willing to want 1200 and maybe take 1,000.
Every firearm brand will have most guns at normal used prices, the few collectable/ hard to get will only be higher.

With this rifle you don't mention condition, scope, extras or what your attempting to sell it for. Put it on this site and ask for comments. If you have a top end high cost scope on it. Sell that alone. 
Last summer I decided to sell my AR-10, I bought at a reasonable price in 2011, I fixed it up they way I wanted it. Retail costs (which I don't pay) Had me invested in that rifle at 2500. I tried to sell it at 1500 and no one made a offer after 2 months. I took it to 3 gun shops and was offered 675, 700 and 1250. I sold it for 1250, that shop put 1595 on it and sold it in 2 weeks.       
kmoore

Grouchy

• Life is too important to take serious" Groucho
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2022, 03:05:42 PM »
Post some pictures here and asking price. 300 Win is a favorite of mine. Somebody here might jump on it!    :)

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2022, 12:26:27 AM »
So it's a Mark V Accumark chambered in 300WIN and topped with a Vortex Viper HST 4-16x44. I've had it professionally free floated & glass bedded, muzzle threaded & Trigger Tech trigger installed. The muzzle break in the picture is removed and replaced by thread protector. It's  obviously a uswd rifle, but I'd like to think it's still in good condition. There's some very minor discoloration on the bolt & barrel which can probably be removed or buffed out. The barrel has approximately 500 shots through it.

Asking price is $2k for the package.  I can throw in reloading dies & some components if desired. Though I don't know how many shots the Nosler brass has in it now, so that's probably not worth it.
"The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence."

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2022, 12:28:02 AM »
More pictures from adventures with the rifle.

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2022, 12:29:55 AM »
2019 elk hunt.

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2022, 07:08:59 AM »
Great looking package.

I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2022, 08:07:25 AM »
I'm always buying, selling/trading rifles, and sometimes the one you think would be an easy sell, ends up taking quite a while to get rid of. Now that a lot of hunting seasons are going on, or coming to a close, and xmas coming, usually a slow time to sell used rifles around here.  I wouldn't worry too much, your accumark  should sell, it takes a bit of time to find the right buyer.

Rob

Grouchy

• Life is too important to take serious" Groucho
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2022, 03:24:18 PM »
I am also buying, trading  and selling guns all the time. The muzzle brake is a turn off to me,not the caliber~!

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2022, 05:30:26 PM »
I am also buying, trading  and selling guns all the time. The muzzle brake is a turn off to me,not the caliber~!

The muzzle brake is removed. It's only got a thread protector now.

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2022, 07:09:50 PM »
Definitely not a Weatherby thing. I would try selling without the scope first and foremost.

As others have mentioned, the big mags aren't as desirable nowadays. Additionally, I know you said the floating, bedding and muzzle break were completed by a professional gunsmith, but imo, this may largely be why it's not selling. "Professional" is a subjective term and used very loosely nowadays. I think most people who'll pay top dollar for a gun like an Accumark would prefer one that's not been modified in anyway. In all honesty, unless the price was pretty low, I'd probably pass due to the stock work...as an Accumark should already shoot very well out of the box without bedding and floating. Maybe you could provide a few target pics in your add to ease peoples minds who would be concerned with the aftermarket smith work.

Good luck with your sale.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2022, 11:35:24 AM »
Man on Fire:

"That's what everybody keeps saying. "I'm just a professional". Everybody keeps saying that to me. "I'm just a professional", "I'm just a professional". I'm getting sick and tired of hearing that."   ;D ;D ;D

Nothing against you Cbloom20. 
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2022, 10:55:00 PM »
Man on Fire:

"That's what everybody keeps saying. "I'm just a professional". Everybody keeps saying that to me. "I'm just a professional", "I'm just a professional". I'm getting sick and tired of hearing that."   ;D ;D ;D

Nothing against you Cbloom20.

Never apologize for a Man on Fire quote! I love that movie.