.223 loads for fox and Bobcat ?

224KING

• View Profile
Re: .223 loads for fox and Bobcat ?
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2022, 05:30:27 AM »
There is a 50gr in 22mag that I really like.Non-expanding
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2022, 03:16:23 PM »
   22 WMR Target: This little Marlin 22 WMR took a lot of rabbits and squirrels, but when I was hunting with it, I never had a coyote come to the 100 yard mark. The only thing I ever shot at 100 yards was a crow. I was shooting the 22 at the 100 yard range when a crow landed on the bern right next to the 100 yard target. (that little Tasco scope has served me well)
   Grizz, with that brand new Bergara and a Leupold scope, you shoulden't have any problem out to 100 yards. In solids, I think the 40 and 50 grainers would be the right medicine. (head shots wouldn't be out of the question)   
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 04:36:18 PM by danno50 »
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2022, 04:22:04 PM »
Danno I bought the Bergara BMR at Williams for $599.95
 They had A used Matlin 783 with scope for $349
That I was looking at. If I would have known they shot like that. I might have bought it.
You could shoot one right in the eye with that.
Nice shooting. I am partial to the CCI maxi mag because of a old add They had. I guy holding a 22 mag revolver and A Bobcat.  Lol
A solid to the head would sure do the trick though.
Mark

« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2022, 07:00:09 PM »
Thank you everyone for all your good input.
I learned alot. In the end I learned you may shoot a bobcat with a fragmenting bullet with a 223 on up to a 220 swift and have no pelt damage at all 9 out of 10 times but then blow a softball sized hole in one. And the safe bet for me is to use a rimfire or shotgun.  Unless going for strictly coyote. I came across thus old article in a Peterson Hunting mag. With a guy and a nice cat taken with a 220 swift. Last night I watched a you tube video where a lady shot one witha 100 gr. From a 243. Hit it from the front in the chest. Not much damage.  All depends on bullet / angle and where you hit them.
Mark

« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2022, 07:19:17 PM »
Guess it's like anything else, doesn't matter what you shoot it with it's where you hit it.
Up to a point. Doesn't matter if your using a 50 caliber for elk if you hit a leg it might just run away on three.
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2022, 10:08:38 AM »
I found a video of a guy hunting bobcat here in MI with a 22 mag he missed because the cat was further than he thought. So next day he calls from where the cat came out but is using a 223
He drops it right there and the cat has what looks like a 1" to 2 " exit hole. So you just never know. I'm practicing with my caller and decoy using the remote to work both. I am taking all 3 shotgun/ 22 mag / 223 on this hunt hope to kill one with the 22 mag in close.
Mark

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 25, 2022, 10:33:32 AM »
I found a video of a guy hunting bobcat here in MI with a 22 mag he missed because the cat was further than he thought. So next day he calls from where the cat came out but is using a 223
He drops it right there and the cat has what looks like a 1" to 2 " exit hole. So you just never know. I'm practicing with my caller and decoy using the remote to work both. I am taking all 3 shotgun/ 22 mag / 223 on this hunt hope to kill one with the 22 mag in close.

I have used the Savage 24 while calling at night for varmints.22mag on top.3'',20 gauge #2 shot in the bottom barrel.That drops you down to taking 2 guns to your sit.I was using mine for Red Fox when the pelts were worth 40 to 60 bucks.The #2 shot gets it done out to 40 yards.It's nice to take a range finder to your sit too,if you have one.Survey a few points in a semi circle to be familiar with how far hard objects are around you.Try to find you several at the 35 yard range so you'll know when to switch to what gun.The Savage 24 won't break the bank either.Great to have around leaned in a corner,by the door,if you live in the contrty and there are not young children around.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #52 on: December 25, 2022, 03:57:53 PM »
Thanks 224 king.
There's only one stand I will take the shotgun and 22 mag both to. One stand will be 223 only and another 22 mag only.
My best freind had that same gun in 22 mag / 20 ga. but his the trigger must have been set at 10 lbs minimum. He didn't have it very long.
My brother has the 22 lr / 410 model and he loves it.
Mark

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2022, 11:31:53 AM »
My trigger pull was heavy right out of the box. Thought it might get better with use, so I ran about 300 rounds through it. No difference. Took it to a gunsmith, best money ever spent. 
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2023, 07:00:53 PM »
I went on my Bobcat hunt. Naturally the weather would change after I made my reservations. And to make matters worse instead of light snow I woke up to freezing rain. And I can't run the electronic game call and decoy in that. I only got 2 calls in the evening that were un eventful.
But on my way home I stopped at Cabelas and they had a box of 53 gr. Nosler Varmageddon.
So I bought to ad to my test.
I watched a side by side gel comparison in 300 black out of the 2 and the Varmageddon expanded much faster and was done with its penitartion when the v max was just starting to fragment. Clear winner for my purpose would be the Varmageddon.  But is it the same in .224 cal.
I would bet on it because the make up is different in side the jacket.

Mark

txaggie

• If it bleeds we can kill it
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2023, 07:14:00 PM »
Late to the game on this one griz, but i've actually booked a predator hunt with these guys i use. My #1 goal is to come away with a cat I can mount, first rattle out of the box they said bring a shotgun. They told me they would bring 12ga shells, not sure what kind at this moment. But he said I shoot 22-250 and 12ga, 90 percent of them get shot with shotgun in his sets. I found some 62 grain bear claw bullets i'm going to load for the 22-250 can also use them in 220 swift i have for hogs, deer and other stuff. But i figured a good non fragmenting bullet would be best myself.

My only real world experience has been small grey fox's which we have plenty off at our ranch. Shooting 204 vmax tears them up pretty good, shoot some bergers and did much better. Go figure -

« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2023, 08:24:17 PM »
Good info aggie.  There seems to be a fine line.
On when a rapid expanding bullet Is the way to go vs a deeper penitrating bullet. Body size and thin skin bullet placement all factor in. Almost need a gun barer so you have the right weapon depending on the shot you get.
Best of luck to you.
Mark

txaggie

• If it bleeds we can kill it
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2023, 01:33:35 AM »
lol - yes sir agree 100%! Hope you find that elusive cat yourself!