Spike Camp

7mm PRC - Your thoughts?

7mm PRC - Your thoughts?
« on: December 31, 2022, 05:26:37 PM »
Now that there have been several articles written about the 7mm PRC, I wondered what everyone's thoughts are on this cartridge?

Kinda interesting.  I have a 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm Weatherby Mag, 280 Ackley, and a 28 Nosler, so I've got this caliber pretty well covered.  That said, I can see the appeal of the 7mm PRC from a case design standpoint.  I need to research the powder capacities of this case versus all of the other 7mm magnums out of curiosity. 
JK

eford

• View Profile
Re: 7mm PRC - Your thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2022, 06:39:51 PM »
I watched a couple of good podcasts on the 7 PRC. The biggest takeaways are a faster twist rate for the heaviest for caliber bullets (such as the 175 and 180 grain ELD hunting and match bullets) and tight specs for case-throat tolerances. What will the new cartridge do that my 280 Rem, 7mm Wby, or 7x57mm Mauser do? Nothing as far as hunting goes, in my opinion and as a long range plinker I do well enough with my tame and easy going 280 Rem.
If you don’t have a cartridge that can do what the new PRC does, then dive in and find out if it’s the one for you. I’m not getting one.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

257 Shooter

• 257 Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2022, 08:23:51 PM »
I agree with eford. Most of the new cartridges are solutions to problems that do not exist. Yes, high ballistic coefficient bullets are aerodynamic. We have had the ability to kill big game reliably at long ranges for decades. It takes knowledge, equipment and skill.

This is another fad designed to sell stuff. I don’t knock it. It keeps life interesting but it is not revolutionary. Any modern cartridge can be chambered in a fast twist barrel.

Viva the firearms industry.

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2023, 08:19:13 AM »

This is another fad designed to sell stuff. I don’t knock it. It keeps life interesting but it is not revolutionary. Any modern cartridge can be chambered in a fast twist barrel.

Viva the firearms industry.

Yup, a faster twist for heavier bullets is nothing new. Years ago we figured out a 22-250 Rem and the likes of it handl bullets heavier than 55 grains with a 1:7 twist barrel. That does not make it a new cartridge. Plus, if you’re using a cartridge that accurately moves that weight of bullet then keep using it —-— a new one really does not change the hunting or target shooting field to your advantage. The 6.8 Western and 277 Sig Fury are two more choices for use, but nothing revolutionary. I’m calling the 277 Sig the re-introduction of the 270 Weatherby, which graced the world in 1944.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2023, 12:03:34 PM »
It has been an interesting period in the firearms industry.  Most of these new cartridges are aimed at shooting heavier bullets (10-20 grains) for just about every caliber.  Generally speaking, the heaviest bullet most people used in a 7mm Mag was a 160 grain bullet.  Most barrel twist rates wouldn't stabilize a 175 grain bullet, so people didn't use them.  Now everyone wants to shoot 175-190 grain bullets in a 7mm Mag...which used to be the bullet weight most people used in .30 cal magnums.  I have always stuck with the "typical" bullet weights for each caliber I own because those cartridges are well designed for those bullets.

I own most of the classic standard cartridges and belted magnum cartridges and they all kill just as effectively today as they did 20+ years ago.  And...like most of the people in this group, I'm not really a "long range" hunter.  Most of the shots I get on game animals are well within 500 yards.

In the case of the 7mm PRC, I happen to have a Defiance Rebel action and a McMillan sporter stock for a project I abandoned a few years ago.  All I would need to do is get the slower twist barrel and bottom metal and it would be easy to build one up.  I'm giving it some thought...

Another thing I'm noticing these days is barrel length.  Remember when all magnum rifles had 26" barrels?  Now we're going back to 22-24" barrels.
JK

txaggie

• If it bleeds we can kill it
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2023, 02:35:10 PM »
My thoughts exactly WH, seems older firearms and newer ones not being able to stabilize a heavy bullet are highly criticized in the new era. Most recently the 6.8western, everyone wants to shoot the heaviest of bullets. It appears as hornady set out to lure the click in with the 7prc and my guess is they will do just that.

Weatherby emphasized velocity - in fact speed kills. My uncle was a loader and tinkerer back in the day ingrained that into me at a very young age so it stuck.

I can tell you i'm guilty of wanting both - the prc is a pretty cool round (all 6.5, 300 and now 7mm). However for me i have a 7stw accumark re-barreled to do just that shoot heavy bullets. It currently is sighted in with 195EOL berger bullets and we will be checking velocities just after deer season at the ranch and  ordering a turret for the vx6 it will have soon. So while it's cool, that would be like me purchasing a 300prc when i have plenty in my 300 Weatherby's.

Grouchy

• Life is too important to take serious" Groucho
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2023, 03:25:27 PM »
The only advantage is the faster twist. At 3.340" COL , nothing is gained there!

kmoore

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2023, 10:43:43 AM »
My opinion is in the name 7PRC it's based on and for PRC competition.  Someone though all other 7mm cartridges lack something just a little or a lot to win matches. I think most or all here covered the reasons in the posts already. Just for my background, I was a master level smallbore and an expert service rifle match shooter most of my adult life. I was never the best but have many awards and some gold metals. Just like in any type of competition the top people down to beginner is looking for the best of the best. If a 7mm rem mag., 7 mm wby, 7mm stw or any other 7mm rifle cartridge did everything on the target range as the 7PRC there would not be a 7mm PRC.

Should a hunter dump their 7mms for it? It's your money. It makes no difference to me and likely none to the game you kill if you're already using a 7mm mag of some type. 

If hunters don't jump on it like they have the 6.5 Creedmoor than it will not be next wonder cartridge. I think everyone on here knows what Creedmoor stands for and why they named it after a match in NY. 

So, it may come down to marketing. Hornady did a great job with the 6.5 CM. I got one not to hunt with but in a big heavy rifle with a big heavy scope to shoot at paper and glad I did.

Now if I did not own a nice 7mm rem mag or the custom 7mm wby. in my safe. I might get a 7mm PRC. For me it would come down to who chambers it before buying one.                   
kmoore

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2023, 02:41:09 PM »
I've spent over 50 years building an overlapping arsenal from .22 LR to .375 RUM.  Like many of the other new wiz bang cartridges, If I had an empty space maybe one of these new ones would fill it, but I'm completely happy with the rifles that I have (including my 7 mm RM) and I'd rather spend the money on more ammo or a new hunt.
NRA Endowment Life Member

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2023, 06:42:10 PM »
Of my family and friends  that shoot the various 7mm mags,   some use the rem 7mm mag, some use 7mm stw, several use custom built 7mm rem ultra mags,  and I have a 7mm Wby Deluxe which just sits there collecting dust.   Honestly  for what we do I don't see any advantage of some of these newer prc type cartridges  over our  older 7mm mags or our 300 Weatherby's using heavy weight high B/C bullets at long ranges  and if you are going to hunt big animals (not target shoot) at these extra long ranges it might be wise to choose one of the better 338 wildcats or factory 338 mags if you want to push the range limits. some of our friends and family are really poking out there.    Now if a person wants or doesn't already have a good prc in some suitable cartridge in  7mm mag or 300 mag then by all means get what you want. 
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 09:36:50 PM by zoniezonie »