Spike Camp

Change for the Better?

Change for the Better?
« on: March 25, 2023, 06:36:38 PM »
I am sick and tired of people moving here then telling us to change things for the better. This hunt has been held since 1940 except for the war years. Because of it I was able to meet Chuck Yeager and Roy Weatherby.

https://county10.com/talk-in-the-10-time-to-end-the-one-shot-hunt/

Grouchy

• Life is too important to take serious" Groucho
    • View Profile
Re: Change for the Better?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2023, 03:01:52 AM »
I'd be interested to know the writer's business.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2023, 06:24:01 AM »
Well there’s going to be a debate on that one. With reduced herds all across the state, and a severe winter in that area, them may get it stopped. No comment past that. Its a local decision
Mike

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2023, 08:49:55 AM »
I live to the south of Lander and I'm not really sure which specific hunting area they use for this hunt.  I wouldn't go so far as to call any area "premium", but it is really hard to say which area is a "blue chip" antelope area these days.

I am vaguely familiar with it...I've heard of it...but have never participated.  The Lander area has been hit EXTREMELY hard this winter, but I don't know how bad the antelope have been hit there.

I don't have any issue with the One Shot Hunt, but simply out of necessity (low animal numbers), they may have to reduce the number of tags this year.  One buck antelope is the only big game animal I've ever had to shoot more than once...using a .264 Winchester Magnum... >:(.
JK

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2023, 09:19:01 AM »
The winter of 78/79 was one of the worst of the century. It started of after an absolutely beautiful indian summer. Around the 15th of 16th of November we got snow. Locally measured at 30 to 36 inches. Then the temperature dropped and we didn't see zero for almost 2 months. A cold air inversion set in and night time temps were 15 to more than 40 below. Daytime highs often didn't get to more than -25. This was with the sun bright and shining. It wasn't unusual to see people driving with their windows half way down due to the solar effect raising the temps in the vehicle to near +100.

Yes we had a massive winter kill, yes permits were cut back and yes the wild game rebounded. Yes, the One Shot Antelope  Hunt continued. Through the early '80's permits were scarce. We didn't cry about it, we accepted it. Since 2000 or so I think I have drawn about 7 or 8 antelope permits. I was lucky enough to draw for the 2022 season, before that it 2018. The secret to drawing often is to research and find the areas that have good populations but not a lot of hunter applications. That info is available on Wyo G & F web site. Areas like south of Rawlins to the CO border have produced the biggest scoring trophies

Unfortunately  in the past years. Consequently it has one of the lowest draw ratios.

Our community has changed over the last 50 or so years. We no longer have the spirit we once had. Our winter fair is but a shadow of what it once was, a chance for the community to shake off cabin fever and meet with friends. The same with the daily lunches served by the Elks Club.

All this comes from divisions in our community driven by what ever ends people use to achieve their own ends. and we, the community, are poorer for it.

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2023, 11:03:07 AM »
Just my opinions,  I don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about any of these so called  let's issue tags in the name of filling coffers of monies that are suppose to go help the game animals.  maybe yes and maybe no I really don't know where all the monies go, could be animal foundations.  I do see G & F  running around in new vehicles,  new buildings, etc.   We have Speciality tags auction or speciality draws,  not a lot but a few.   What burns my ass is we have to live within our means and so should these Gov"n agencies what ever they may be.  They are pricing non-residents out of the game unless they have money, and it's getting worst.  Price increases are rising thru the years that it's affecting regular people.   AZ has another stupid ass idea and has been going on for quite a few years now  since AZ is pretty much (not all) a random big game draw.  it use to be you had to pay up front to put in for tags and if you didn't get  drawn you were refunded your tag fees., now all you have to pay is an application fee (not to be confused with actual fees),  and that money is kept even if you don't get drawn ,  what that does is allows anyone that doesn't have enough money in the bank or credit card to apply and charged if you get drawn.    Big game tags some are pretty expensive even for residents  let alone non-residents all this does is dilute/reduce your big game draw chances with the assumption for instance let's say I'll or anyone else  put's in for everything and hopes to  I get drawn and then get charged from my credit card when and if I get drawn (You have to use a computer to apply and you have to have a credit card to deduct monies when drawn ) and that's B/S.  my under standing non-residents need to buy a non-resident hunting license which is no refunded if you don't get drawn although the tag fees are refunded less the application fees.  maybe some one can correct me if something has changed.    It's money,  it's reducing my chances of getting drawn,  and that keeps people out, IMO.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 12:24:28 PM by zoniezonie »