Spike Camp

scopes for weatherby rifles

Re: scopes for weatherby rifles
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2009, 11:52:56 AM »
I have an older Leupold VX-1 3x9x40 on a 300 Win Mag Vanguard DLX, and a new Leupold VX-1 3x9x50 on my new 7mm Rem. Vanguard Tan synthetic.I just bought a Leupold VX-1, 4x14x40 to put on my new .257 Vanguard that I recently restocked. I own several other scopes on many different rifles, including 2 Redfields ,an older Illuminator and a Tracker , both still good ,3 Nikon's, one 3x9x50 and two 3x9x40's, all reasonably priced Buckmaster models.
 An old Tasco that came with a recently bought used Marlin 336 , and a Tasco that came on an older Remington Model 788 which I just traded for,,,which will be replaced when my money situation improves.I also have a couple of older retired scopes. None of my scopes are high end, but they do what I need them to do. When I was a teenager, I bought a Browning .308 (BAR) topped with a Redfield scope , and it was considered by my family as top of the line. And it was pretty darn good!
Scopes , to me , are the finishing touch on any set-up. You don't feel like the gun is ready until the scope is right!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 08:18:01 AM by rhasty »
"The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed."---(James Madison)

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined or determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assault

« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2009, 05:30:42 AM »
I recently replaced the Weaver scope I had on my .338 RUM Mark V. The Weaver stood up to the recoil,held it`s zero great. The drawbacks were not enough eye relief and limited light gathering. It seems my hunting has a way of paying off at last light ;D. I put a Zeiss Conquest 3-9X on it and am very happy with it. I have a Zeiss Diavari on another rifle,top notch.

« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2009, 08:40:42 AM »
I will echo, or second, what just about everyone's already said about the Leupold:  My dealer recommended the Leupold VX-III on a .300 Win Mag, for a trip to British Columbia in 2007.  Today, I have that one, plus two VX-IIs, one on a Vanguard Sporter in .243; the other on a new CZ 550 Safari Magnum in .375 H & H.  For me, there's simply no reason to try anything else.  Thanks-
Gentleman Hunter
"The one true passion never tarnished by modern times."

« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2009, 11:36:03 AM »
I'm a huge fan of the Leupold MK 4 LRT or ERT's, Yeah they are a lot of money but tough, accurate, and have turret knobs if you know how to use them they pay off for shots out past 500yds. I love the TMR (tactical mil reticle) its really fine. Excellent light gathering, Marines use it on their M14 DMR rifles, along with other rifles.

« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2009, 03:02:51 PM »
I have a Nikon Buckmasters 3-9x40 on my Weatherby Vanguard SS. Very clear and brings in a lot of light.

« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2009, 04:04:26 PM »
Folks I'll try to keep it short, as each their own choice.
#1= Mark V Deluxe 270 WM ( German ) = 2 3/4 X 10  Weatherby preimer
#2+ Mark V Deluxe 7mm WM ( Japan ) = 3 X 9 Weatherby Supreme
#3= Vanguard Syn - 22-250   =  Nikon 4.5 X 14 Buckmaster
#4 = Howa M1500 Heavy Barrel 22-250 w/Primos 350 Yrd red Light = 6 X 24 Bushnell 4200
I keep them @ 10 power as the 1,3 & 4 bullet trajectory is close to the same and adjust #4 for night hunting that will be a lower or could be higher when checking something out. I live in Western New York, between Buffalo and Rochester NY.
Sorry about #4, not a Weatherby but just scope talk. I use #3 & #4 for Coyotes and Fox when luck will have it.
100 gr for #1 and 45 gr for #3 & #4. I'm 65 years old and this works for me. No more open sights for me.

have fun hunting and be safe.
WBY-REM

« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2009, 06:55:09 PM »
 :) Have a .300wsm sub moa with a Kahles 3.5x10 scope this is clearest scope I've ever owned.

Chip

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2009, 10:18:46 AM »
I have a Nikon Monarch 2-7x32 on my Vangaurd VGL and a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 on my Accumark.  I also have Leupolds on other rifles.

ohr61

« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2009, 10:47:29 AM »
Leupold scopes for sure. In my opinion, the best bang for the buck!    ;D
Orison Rollins

"Life is Tremendous"

« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2009, 08:15:32 PM »
I have never gone wrong with a Leupold, Zeiss or Swarovski.  I have 5 Leupolds that include 2-VXII's, 2-VXIII's and a new VX3.  I have 4 Zeiss Conquests.  And I have one Swarovski AV 3-10X42.  These are all excellent scopes.  I will say these things....
1.  I think the Swaro's are a bit over priced for what you get, but it is a dang nice scope.
2.  I think the brightness and clarity of the Zeiss scope is the best of all and incredible for the price....but they are a little ugly sitting perched atop a beautiful new Weatherby Deluxe.
3.  I think the new VX3 is very close (maybe equal if I stretch just a little) to these other scopes....and Swaro and Zeiss don't offer gloss!  I think this wins the beauty contest and looks absolutely sexy sitting on that new MkV Deluxe.
4.  I think the VXII and VXIII are both fine scopes and good values but are just not quite as clear and bright as the others mentioned.  But I think these are still very good scopes..... and I did I mention made in America? 
5.  I wish Leupold would make their power dial as smooth and comfortable to operate as the Euros do.  Sometimes I think I need a darn pipe wrench to adjust the power on those Leupolds.
6.  At the end of the day, it would be hard to be disappointed with any of these.  Just boils down to personal preference and budget.

« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2009, 03:19:59 AM »
 I have a Leupold Rifleman 3x9 with an 50mm bell on my Vanguard 204 SubMoa. I really enjoy this scope, clear glass and wicked eye relief.

« Reply #86 on: April 22, 2009, 09:17:37 AM »
My Vanguard Synthetic 300wby is topped with a Nikon Buckmaster 4-12x50SF.  The lines are smooth, the eye relief is good the glass is crystal clear and the price is great.  The gun retails for $399 and the scope retails for about $360 although I got a better deal than that on both.  Counting rings and bases I have about $700 in the whole package and I couldn't be happier.

« Reply #87 on: September 24, 2018, 07:26:26 AM »
Nikon fan here. Have a Prostaff 4-12 on my Savage 93 17HMR and a Monarch 3 on my Vanguard True North (300 Wby) and Browning X bolt in 308 Win. The Vanguard is a 3-12 x 42 and the xbolt is a 2-10 x 42 model.

On my Vanguard S2 in 243 Win and 257 Wby I have Redfield 3x9 x 42 scopes. These work well and are very clear.

I have a Hilux CMT 1-4 tactical on my 336 Marlin. Great combo on this type of rifle. This is my "tactical rifle" and goes everywhere on the ranch with me. Great for all forms of critter control.

On my Mk V  Accumark I have a Vortex HS-T in 4 to 16 (my long range target/hunting gun). And finally on on my Remington 700 VTR 223 Rem I have a Burris Fullfield II tactical in 6.5  x 20 x 50.  This is my coyote/little vermin gun

All this to say I prefer the Nikons. Clear glass, really usable magnification ranges and basically a lifetime warranty. Seems to endure the western hunting environment as well. That is cold, wind, sleet and snow. Not to mention bumps and thumps climbing the valleys. 

Good luck on your quest for a good Scope.

« Reply #88 on: December 10, 2018, 12:28:06 PM »
For the money, I don't think you can beat a Nikon Monarch series scope.  On my new Mark V 6.5-300, I just topped it with a Monarch 5 in 3-15x50 with ED glass.  I have a Monarch 7 on a 7mm WSM that is every bit as good as my VX6 on a 300 RUM.  Great glass on those Nikons...

« Reply #89 on: December 10, 2018, 01:27:29 PM »
For what seemed like and eternity, Nikon was the best mid range glass around but they got lazy and didn't keep up with the competition. Nikon glass has vastly improved in just the past year and they are now back in the game. Leupold on the other hand has all but lost the mid range market to Vortex and their off shore models. I still think Swarovski has some of the best glass around. They use Schott glass and there just isn't anything better in my opinion.
Steve
Lifetime NRA Member
Retired in the Nevada high desert and loving life.