Spike Camp

Discuss the Weatherby Mark XXII®

fieldstone

Re: Discuss the Weatherby Mark XXII®
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2009, 08:16:14 PM »
Guys:
Just got a Mark XXII for the family last weekend. Actually, I got it for myself as well but a Weatherby is a very cool thing and as much as I love my kids there is no way I'm going to let them take the .257 ultramark out front for the afternoon (not yet anyway). I do have a complaint though. Not of the gun, the rifle is quality, runs smooth and shoots very well. But THE OWNERS MANUAL IS PRINTED IN SIZE 2 FONT! What's up with that?
Have any of you guys actually tried to read the owners manual? Let me tell you it is way to small and especially for a .22 which is a gun that many young people and new shooters will be exposed to. Even they could not read it easily! Spend the extra $0.75 and include a full size manual. Its worth it, for a gun like that, you want the kids to go to bed reading the thing. Hey, I want to read the thing too!

Davetti

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2009, 04:34:19 PM »
I recently purchased a Weatherby XXII in the 17 HRM caliber and am extremely pleased with the purchase and the excellent performance.   The chance to own this exceptional weapon only came by chance.  I had originally put a Cooper, 22LR on hold for two months to get my VA Drivers License.  When I came to pick the prize jewell, someone in the gun shop had scratched the stock.  No sense in spending that much money on a firearm that has a scratch.  Upon entering the store that day, I noticed a new Weatherby sitting in the rack, and it was the caliber I wanted.  Now it's mine and I couldn't be more pleased.  Thank you Weatherby for an extremely accurate and beautiful rifle.   I have almost forgotten about that handmade Cooper. 

Davetti

blculver

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2009, 04:51:01 PM »
Gentlemen, Just purchased a Weatherby XXII in 22LR. Shoots a very tight (overlapping) group but it is hard to close the bolt on a round and 4 out of 5 will not extract from the bore. Tried 2 different ammo manufacturers and extraction is no better. This is the second Mark XXII in 2 days that has failed me. For the money this thing should extract any type of ammo I put to it. Another complaint I have is the pathetic owners manual. The Leupold scope I put on this gun had a better (professional) manual.  Weatherby missed on this one. Pretty good chance I won't waste my money on a Weatherby high power.

Disappointed

Brett
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 08:08:09 PM by blculver »

fieldstone

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2009, 08:06:53 PM »
Hey Brett:
I know this may sound obviose and I mean no disrespect. But, did you take the bolt out and lubricate it? No, it is not mentioned in the owners manual but after the first 100 - 200 rounds ours got a little "tight" andthe break free seemed to help. Best of Luck 

blculver

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2009, 08:20:55 PM »
Hello Mr. Fieldstone,
Appreciate the comment. No offense taken. Since the gun was new out of the box I ran a patch down the bore to clean any shipping/transportation residue. Since the bolt was out I also cleaned it and lightly oiled it. Only 50 rounds were actually fired through the gun over about a 2 hour period. Took forever to knock out rounds with a cleaning rod after every 1 or 2 shots. I have since returned the gun to the place of purchase. The gunsmith on duty took one look and determined there was not enough clearance between the extractor (on the right hand side of bolt) and the breach. So he is going to file clearance for the extractor to open while pressing forward on bolt to go over flange of cartridge. Make sense? The gun dealer had never seen this with a Weatherby and didn't have another to exchange or he would have. Personally I am even more disappointed and would hope my warranty isn't void after the licenced gunsmith modifies the breach. Thanks for your comments. Any and all comments welcome. Please!

Brett
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 08:22:35 PM by blculver »

fieldstone

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2009, 05:08:11 PM »
Hey Brett:

How did you make out? Well I hope - let us know

Pete

blculver

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2009, 07:40:27 AM »
Hi Pete,

Gunsmith was not very open with what had to be modified and how much but, I have to admit I went right to the range and shot 50 rounds with only a few ejections leaving the spent cartridge sitting on top of the next round going in. For the most part all rounds were ejected well clear of the shooting table. The bind I felt closing the bolt was also eliminated. Shot groups were tight as expected. Bottom line I feel better about the gun but still disappointed a new Weatherby required modification. I might have set my expectations too high.

Brett

fieldstone

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2009, 05:22:00 PM »
Hey Brett:
Look at it this way, with the small modification you may have ended up with the best shooter of the lot! At my end, we have a Thompson Classic and its taking out the XXII pretty regular... 

blculver

« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2009, 12:02:51 PM »
At least the XXII is pretty............

kbs270

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2010, 06:32:21 PM »
I dont like the bolt handle but everything else looks good.

wiz71

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2011, 04:42:23 PM »
I have the original XXII in semi auto with the tubular mag. Most accurate .22 I have ever shot. With 24" barrel, it drive tacks. Looks and feels like the Mark V.

BruceHokr

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2012, 08:26:48 PM »
I'm in the process of purchasing a XXII .22LR bolt action and would like to know the dovetail spacing for the scope mounts, if it is 11mm, 13mm, or 3/8".

hubris 1

« Reply #42 on: February 29, 2012, 06:52:30 PM »
Oh...Oh...Oh.....Oh! I got this one. Personally, I have both calibres in the XXII. I love the look, feel, and shooting of both of them. I want to have fun shooting. I love the small calibre guns. If you look on "USA midways" site you will find they make or actually sell a scope mount specifically for the Weatherby XXII. Talley makes it. Its about 69 dollars for bases and mounts.....they work like a charm. Buy them.

BruceHokr

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2012, 02:45:35 PM »
hubris, thanks for your input but I like the ringmounts by Leupold.I think they are 11mm.

hubris 1

« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2012, 07:38:19 PM »
I was just telling you what they make for the gun. I love both guns. Glad you found mounts to work. I do like the 2 piece aspect of the talley mounts however. Just a thought.