Spike Camp

Discuss the Weatherby Mark XXII®

bruddell

Re: Discuss the Weatherby Mark XXII®
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 06:41:38 PM »
goodbread,
First off, please accept our apologies for the slow replies. It's a lousy excuse, but with all the shows lately, SHOT, SCI, RMEF, and a hunt or two for good measure, we've all been swamped, (and I use that "we" loosely as there aren't THAT many of us) it's just hard to keep up at times. One of our Customer Service Reps brought your post to my attention so I'll try to answer your inquiry.
Left handers have always been a dilemma for the firearms industry. Obviously, there are fewer of them and consequently purchasing power is commensurate. Nearly every significant company in the business "attempts" to cater to the left handed shooter, and yes, because of the costs associated with engineering, tooling, raw material cost, manufacturing, assembly, packaging and then inventory carrying costs, not to mention liability insurance, attorneys, sales staff, marketing costs, and a marginal profit (ok, I'm sure you get the picture) we've all tended to focus on what would sell to the "bulk" of the left handers, leaving out customers such as yourself out. IF, we were to pass on the costs to accomplish smaller custom projects such as these, and trust me, we've tried, the customer  hasn't supported the effort with their purchases.
We purchase our barreled actions from Anschutz, both Deter and his son Jochen are fine firearm design and manufacturing men. If they chose not to produce a left handed action, it was likely for the above reasons. And with out the base barreled action from them, it's virtually impossible for us to provide a Weatherby verison.
goodbread, I understand your frustration, you are not alone, as I'm a lefty as well. But I do understand the "other side of the coin" and hope my explanation helps.
And please accept our apologies again for the slow response.
All the best,
Brad

goodbread

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2008, 07:32:21 PM »
Dear Brad,
Thanks for taking the time to respond.  You've given us all a detailed and well thought out explanation of why you don't produce more left handed rifles.    Unfortunately, I don't read any knew info in your explanation.  I've worked in product development, design and ergonomics for one of the world's most reknowned manufacturers of motor vehicles and I can appreciate the impact each of the considerations you enumerate have on the final decision to produce or shelve a product.  I wish I had a similar missive to send back to you to assuage your concerns but I don't.  I refuse to even shoulder a right-handed bolt-action rifle.  I have dozens of firearms and not a one of them is a dedicated right-handed weapon.  If its not LH or clearly ambidextrous, I pass.  You sell 4 rifles in 2 stock materials and 2 calibers in which I have not the slightest interest.  Jochen Anschutz personally told me he can't produce a rifle such as I described to him.  So I must take my business to others who are more willing.
I spent considerable months looking for a used Weatherby LH in 30.06 and couldn't find one at any price, condition or model.  I stumbled upon a Mauser 3000L and don't regret a single thing about buying it.  It is as beautiful as your wooden stocked models which I have admired for decades.  I wish you well but will be buying elsewhere.  If your product plans change in the future, you are welcome to keep my email address on file and communicate with me directly.
Yours truly,
Mike Buonopane   :(
greatbread@yahoo.com
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 07:33:56 PM by Mike »

airlock

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2008, 01:20:23 PM »
All i can say is I want a mark XXII!!! ;D

BruceHokr

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2008, 09:52:51 PM »
I'm thinking of purchasing a Mark XXII Bolt Action and would like to know how accurate is it? What size groups will it produce consistantly at 50 yards? and how often must you clean the bore to keep the "tight groups" ? Is there any "special" ammo it likes or like other rifles, try them all, Right? Also what about performance,how does it handle,mount,trigger pull,ejection etc. Thanks for any input. Bruce
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 10:26:21 AM by BruceHokr »

russsims

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2008, 04:02:35 PM »
Inherited from my father a Mark XXII semi auto he purchased new at the Capt. R.R. Sparks Rod & Gun Club, Naval Air Station, Keflavik, Iceland in 1967.  My father kept the bill of sale -- $89.00 and also purchased at the same time a Weatherby 4 X 28 scope and sling for another $25.50. 

He also purchased a Weatherby Mark V in the 300 Weatherby Magnum caliber as well with a Redfield 3-9 scope but that went to my younger brother--sure it was purchased at a steal given todays prices.

I also ended up with my grandfathers A.H. Ashley Fox side by side double barrel 12 gauge with beautiful custom engraging on the reciever--brother wants to trade the Mark V for the Fox but I said no deal.  Given the value of the Fox I think I got the better end of that one.

Went to the range yesterday to sight in the new scope on the XXII and what a sweet shooting rifle.  Did not take any time at all to sight in and began blowing out the X on the target in no time after making the adjustments.  The range master came by to check that rifles were unloaded before clearing the line and commented as how beautiful the stock was, especially how old the rifle was.  He about fell out when I told him what it cost new.

Have no plans to sell the rifle but any idea what it is worth?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 04:04:13 PM by russsims »

BruceHokr

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2008, 08:15:45 PM »
You could get atleast $500 up to $800 in excellent condition. Check out Guns America.com or Gun Broker.com for selling prices for your semi auto.

USMCJG

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2008, 06:43:43 PM »
I just picked up my brand new Mark XXII today. I actually went there to pick up a CZ 453 Varmint, but once I saw and held the Weatherby I had to have it. It's a beautiful firearm and the Anschutz action is top notch. I've only sighted it in so far, no real target shooting. But based on the few rounds I have through it, and the factory test target, I can tell it's going to be very accurate. The only problem is that it's almost too pretty to shoot. :)
Cliff

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2008, 03:42:36 PM »
I'll be picking mine up next week. What mounts and scopes have people been putting on their Mark XXII?

Thanks
Paul
Don't save the best for last, the smile for later or "Thanks" for tomorrow.

Hired Gun

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2009, 04:36:04 PM »
I just bought one.  I am using Talley aluminum rings and a Leupold 6.5-20x40 EFR target scope on it.  So far I have onlt tried Horady 17gr V-Max's in it.  I have not been quite able to match the factory target yet.  I have high hopes.  It wants to shoot but is throwing consistant to two points of impact.  The barrel is hard to the left at the end of the barrel channel so tight that it will tear a dollar bill if you try to pull it out.  I adjusted the trigger down to 28 ounces and tried action screw torque settings from 5 inch pounds to 25 inch pounds and it still shoots 3 into 1 hole at 3:00 and 2 into another hole at 6:00.  Tonight she is being pulled down for a bedding job.  The tech line said they would look at it but could not promise I would get my same stock or rifle back.  This one has nice wood and a unique serial number that matches my trucks vin so I will just bed it up real nice myself.   

« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 05:55:01 PM by Hired Gun »

Bill L. Nicholson

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2009, 06:56:55 PM »
Gentlemen, kindly allow me to put in my two cents worth: 
I like mine, and I'm very proud to be a Mark XXII owner.  It was a tad difficult to spend that much money on a .22, but as my dealer said:  "Just consider how often you'll shoot a rimfire, as opposed to how much you'll shoot a centerfire.  We'll spend more than that on our centerfires, to use them once or twice a year, while we'll shoot the rimfires once or twice every week."  He was correct, of course, and when I asked about a .17 HMR, he said:  "Well, it is, after all, called the Mark XXII- I think you'll be happier with the .22; plus the .22 should have greater resale."  Correct again, Alan- thanks.
Finally, I have a friend who owns some three or four Mark Vs; when he caught me at the range with my Mark XXII, he was very impressed.  Turns out he'd never seen one, and now, he wants to own one.
Bottom line:  On a vacant Saturday, (I know, those tend to be very rare), I can always go out to the range, run 60 or 70 rounds through the Mark XXII, in about half an hour, and have lots of fun.  Try one- I wager you won't regret this decision.

Hired Gun

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2009, 10:06:59 PM »
The bedding is done and she is all back together. That stock was so warped up it might have been easier to bed it into a crazy straw. And who's idea was it to rivit the magazine release lever in over the top of the rear magazine holder action screw? We need to talk. Anyway it is done. The action is relocated to a point where she is now resting stress free on good solid bedding and the factory barrel channel no longer touches the barrel. From the outside she looks no different but inside you can see the considerable work it took to get her straightened up. This weekend I expect to return to the range with a variety of ammo's to try and see what she can really do. Then I expect some small vermin to pay with it life for it's transgressions!!

Hired Gun

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2009, 07:04:06 PM »
And who's idea was it to rivit the magazine release lever in over the top of the rear magazine holder action screw? We need to talk.

Opps my bad.  What I thought was a screw head is actually a nut.  It is accessed from above inside the action.  Should I ever decide to rebed or switch to ful length bedding of the action it will be much easier with the action fully stripped.  I may do it later anyway in my quest for perfection.  This is really shipping up to be one really nice little rifle.  I'm thinking I just may need to buy another one for my son soon. 

If anyone was wondering or cares, I just weighed it all put together with no ammo, it weight 113.8 ounces.  About 7.1 pounds with the Leupold 6.5-20x40EFR and the lightweight Talley rings.

Hired Gun

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2009, 10:37:19 PM »
I am now happy to say she shoots as good as she looks.  100 yard average groups for 6 groups is .790".  4 of the groups were under 1/2 MOA. 

224Weatherbyman

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2009, 11:32:44 PM »
I have an old Italian XXII but I am curious at what yardage does the factory shoot the target. I know the optimum is near 75 yards and at 100 you get alot of drop so I stay near 75 or less. Also, I see alot of the new ones at dealers around here so the backorder must of cleared up.

LarryMcInnis

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2009, 12:30:23 PM »
Just bought a .17HMR for Xmas (got it 2nd week in Jan)... now the weather's too crappy to shoot it!  Just my luck. 

Beautiful rifle and amazing reviews (both quality of build and accuracy). 

Will head to the range w/in two weeks and run a couple hundred rounds through it... will repost after that.

Larry