Spike Camp

Discuss the Weatherby Vanguard® Deluxe

Randy C

Re: Discuss the Weatherby Vanguard® Deluxe
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2011, 03:01:39 PM »
I recently acquired an absolutely beautiful Vanguard Deluxe in 270 Wby Mag.  Gun was in 98% condition.  Looked like it had never had a box of shells run through it.  Beautiful blonde walnut caught my eye.  Research indicated it was a 1992 model.

I equipped it with a Swarovski Habicht PV 3-12 X 50 scope (30 mm Tube) mounted on Warne rings.

I used it to take a really nice, nine-point, double beamed Alabama Whitetail buck in January, 2011.

I do not like the trigger on the gun.  It must break at about seven pounds.  Way to heavy for me.  I also much prefer a safety that I do not have to move to FIRE to unload.  This is particularly important since my teenage sons hunt also, and are accustomed to unloading with a gun on SAFE.

I plan on correcting both problems by swapping the factory trigger for a Timney trigger.  Timney makes a unit for the Vanguard that has a three-position safety.

Has anyone else made this conversion?  Does it require a gunsmith?  Does the trigger meet your needs and expectations?  Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2011, 07:29:19 AM »
Randy, I have two Vanguards and I recently decided to install a Timney trigger on one of them.  I love it.  The Timney doesn't require a gunsmith.  Just follow the directions that come with it.  Mine installed without any problems.  However, I have heard on some Weatherby's a bit of filing or sanding may be required inside the stock; I believe to allow the safety lever to move freely.  Those that have had to that found it not to be a difficult task.  Some use a Dremel.  My new Timney breaks crisply from 2.75-3 pounds.  I must admit I have not shot the rifle yet... still 10 inches of snow on the ground in northern Michigan.  But, dry firing it feels real good.  I don't think you'll be dissapointed.
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife".
Daniel Boone

Randy C

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2011, 11:51:32 AM »
Thanks for the tip, Mark.  I think I am going to put a Timney in my Weatherby, as well as one in my Remington 700.  I just recently learned about the concern of the Rem. 700 firng as the safety is shifted to FIRE.  I haven't experienced it myself, and I don't want to wait to see if it happens.

My sons hunt with the 700.  I don't want to take any chances, so the expense of a new trigger is very cheap insurance.

Sorry that you are still snowed in.  Temperature here today will be in the low 70's.  Turkey season opens Monday and my two sons in college and one in High School are all on Spring Break.  Maybe there is a Gobbler(s) in our future.

Thanks for your advice.  I'll report back after the trigger project is complete. 

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2011, 12:03:07 PM »
Randy:Good luck with the gobblers for you and your sons.Posts some Picts of the birds and stories of the hunt.I had forgotten that Bama opens so early.Where do you hunt there?I did a hunt in Autagaville area and had good luck.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

Garratt

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2011, 05:42:16 PM »
Long ago I purchased a Weatherby .300 Win. Mag. rifle, used, from a gun shop here in Oregon.  It was built-in 1984 and I have used it  great deal, including a great hunting trip in South Africa.  While in the desert this winter, the bolt jammed and there was no way for me to open it.  Fortunately, there was only a spent round in the chamber.  I packaged up the rifle and sent it to Weatherby to have it repaired.  Even though the rifle was almost thirty years old, had previous owners, and I hadn't bought it from Weatherby, they fixed it for FREE, and shipped it back to me, for FREE.  An employee even called me to confirm the spelling of my name, and my address.  That's was a great experience.  As a result, I will buy my next rifle/shotgun from Weatherby, if for no other reason than customer service.  I must add though that long before this occurred I had already purchased another rifle from Weatherby because they produce high quality, tack-driving rifles at an affordable price.

Hiller

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2012, 07:25:09 AM »
Could not agree more . The .300 mag I bought last year has bee referred to as a "TACK Driver" . Most of the guys I hunt moose with all have the standard .300 Win mag , and now that they see the difference in the Weatherby they are all looking to upgrade . 

tomerod

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2013, 08:50:16 AM »
bought in the early 70's.... ser # V03000.... anyway to tell manufacture date?