Spike Camp

Discuss the Weatherby Vanguard® Deluxe

Discuss the Weatherby Vanguard® Deluxe
« on: July 27, 2007, 12:27:07 PM »
Nearly identical in appearance to the Mark V® Deluxe, the Vanguard® Deluxe offers outstanding performance in a remarkably affordable package.

waterboy452

Re: Discuss the Weatherby Vanguard® Deluxe
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 03:09:16 PM »
I had considered buying a Vanguard Sporter SS, but changed my mind before ordering today, and went with a Vanguard Deluxe. It is chambered in .30-06 Springfield. Should be here this week Thursday or Friday. Having just recently traded for a Ruger 77 Hawkeye all weather 7mm-08, it will have to remain hostage on layaway at my dealer for a while. Had him order a Leupold 100th Anniversary 3-9x40 scope for it too. Anyone have one of the Vanguard Deluxe's chambered in .30-06? This is a bit of a sentimental retro rifle purchase, so to speak. A good friend of mine had a Vanguard VGX in .30-06 back around 20 years ago, when I was still in high school. It was the first center fire rifle I ever shot. A beautiful rifle, and shot great. He used it for everything, ground hogs, deer, and even a gray squirrel once:) He still regrets trading it off, as we talk of it often when I go to visit him.  I've been hoping that Weatherby would bring these back, and they did last year. I do hope that the trigger is better than the two Vanguard Sporters(.30-06 and 7mm mag) I had. Both were great shooters, but had horrible triggers. Wouldn't adjust below 5 lbs, no matter what I tried. Anyhow, I'll let you know how she does, when I finish paying for my new Weatherby Vanguard Deluxe. I'm hoping she has some beautiful walnut and polished blued steel to drool over. All but one of my firearms is stainless steel, but I just couldn't resist the pretty walnut and polished bluing of the Deluxe. Need some talley mounts and bases to match. Looking forward to shooting this one with my friend Ben, soon I hope.

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 08:31:26 PM »
You should be able to adjust it lower, or have a smith do it for you.  Another option is to replace it with a Timney, as they make for the Vanguard action now.  Either way, a creepless 3# trigger is not unreasonable to ask, is it?  Good luck with the shiny new addition.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

samsdad

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 06:16:27 AM »
My dad bought this gun for me when I was 14 years old and it has been a wonderful rifle over the years.  I have harvested over 200 Whitetail deer and several Black Bear with this gun.  I will enjoy passing this gun down to my son when he is old enough to use it in the field.  Thanks Dad.

waterboy452

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 10:35:11 PM »
Thanks guys. I appreciate your replys. Chris, could you post a pic or two of your Vanguard Deluxe? If you could, that would be great. Thanks.

samsdad

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 06:34:56 AM »
Howard,

There's a pic of me looking through a spotting scope in Evanston, Wyoming.  My .270 Weatherby is on my shoulder.  That's about the only pic I have of it presently.  If I get some time I'll take some pics of it at home and post them.

waterboy452

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 03:35:31 PM »
Update: I went by my dealer today to check out my new Vanguard Deluxe .30-06. It's a beautiful rifle, no doubt about it. Really nice walnut, with lots of figure. High gloss bluing is excellent. I put the bolt in it, and tried the trigger. Felt much better than my previous Vanguard's were. Test target suggests that she should be an accurate rifle, which is what I expected. I also really like the brown recoil pad instead of the black ones that are show on the website in the pics of the Vanguard Deluxe. I'm wondering when the switch was made, and if it was during the same time frame as the trigger improvements that were to be made this year? I'd venture so, as this trigger is very, very, good. The new pad color looks much better IMO. This is a rifle well done. Good Job Weatherby! Now comes the hardest part, and that is the wait until it is fully paid for and in its new permanent home! Layaway is a wonderful thing, but sometimes it can be painful. However, I'm quite sure the wait will be worthwhile. As whitetail season is fast approaching, it will be next season before I get to try her out on game. Something else to look forward to. Thanks for listening.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 04:56:51 PM by howard »

.257Shooter

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 08:17:58 PM »
First post here. I traded in my Vanguard Sporter (.257 WBY) today for a Vanguard Deluxe of the same caliber. I was very happy with the way the rifle shot but wanted the nicer stock and polished bluing. I hope the trigger is smoother. Sporter had a good bit of creep that I did not take the time to work on. The gun still easily shot 1" groups with 115 grain bst. In my opinion Weatherby has really raised the bar on how a hunting rifle should look and perform. I also ordered the vanguard mounting system in low height for my vx1 3x9x40. I hope the scope will clear the barrel. Does anybody have this same setup? Thanks.

.257Shooter

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 08:20:08 PM »
Picked up the Vanguard Deluxe Saturday morning. It was much more than I had hoped for. I really do not like ordering guns you cannot look at and feel. I had scouted 2 deluxe in .257 earlier in the week but decided to order and I'm glad I did. A lot of very good figure in the wood with fiddleback. A visually stunning rifle to say the least. Mounted the scope last night and shot it today. It shot several 3/4" groups 1 group at 1" and 1 at 5/8". This one is a keeper.

phil

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 05:33:47 PM »
I really wish Weatherby would offer this gun in short action calibers. I would love a 22-250, or even a 204 ruger with the nice stock. I just hate dragging a nice piece of wood through the brush to hunt deer and elk when I know it is just going to get all scratched and dinged. But, at least for me, varmint/predator hunting is much less demanding as far as terrain goes and I can ensure safe carry of my varmint/predator rifle (no dings or scratches).
I was in my local shop last weekend end looking at the Vanguard Deluxe and was really impressed with the wood on one particular model they had. The owner told me it was actually not just the standard deluxe but a "hand selected" model - apparently Weatherby has a small stock of even more amazing wood for these hand-selected models. Not sure if all the local shops can order them, but if they can it might be worth checking out. My shop's hand select was about $100 more than the "standard" Vanguard Deluxe. Not a bad investment if you are already spending close a grand on the rifle.

twoseventy

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 06:04:03 PM »
Not sure if this is the right place, but...

I currently am shopping for gun #2 in my collection, not as a gun to sit next to #1 (a Remington 710 .270) but a gun to replace it... I did exactly what my father said I'd do with it... Get it... take it to the range a couple times... hunt with it a couple times... kill a couple deer with it... then put it in the closet and look for a real gun...

I've had my eye on his Vanguard Deluxe for a while now, and he recommended that I buy one, since I'd spend entirely too much money fixing his after a flood a couple years ago all but buried it under a foot of mud...

My question is this (finally!)... should I pick up the Vanguard in a .270 because I like the way it feels, shoots, recoils, etc. or should I get the 7mm Remington Magnum that I also like?  He says not to buy another .270 because I already have one, but then yesterday he told me I don't have a real .270...

Any opinions would be awesome...

And for the record, recoil isn't an issue as I've shot my way through a Barrett .50 Cal more than a couple times...

.257Shooter

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 06:31:50 PM »
You are in pursuit of the right rifle for sure. Have you considered a Weatherby magnum? They offer the .257 and .300. You will pay more for ammo but dang do they shoot....

PsyopsE6

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 12:38:20 PM »
I just purchased a Vanguard Deluxe in 300 Weatherby mag, I have always wanted a 300 and the opportunity just came up.  I put a Burris Fullfield II 4.5 - 14 scope on it and ordered some 165 grain ammo.  I have utterly no need for the 300 Weatherby mag except that it is beautiful and I love the prestige of owning a very fine firearm.  I plan to shoot it as often as I can.  Thanks Weatherby for the fine weapons. 
1/30/08..Just picked up my Vanguard in 257 Wby Mag.  another real beauty..I will take this one to Michigan in the fall to hunt deer for the first time in almost 30 years (retired military)..plan to shoot it alot this summer in preparation..ElDee
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 05:09:14 PM by ElDee »

waterboy452

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 10:19:20 PM »
Update #2: I picked up my new Vanguard Deluxe .30-06 this evening. It's super nice for sure, except it has one problem. The rosewood fore end has what appears to be a crack in it about 2 inches long, and wraps around the end of the stock. It runs with the grain in the rosewood. Otherwise this rifle is beautiful. Would someone here at Weatherby please direct me as to how to address this cosmetic issue. I'm not sure if this was a repaired stock, or just was missed by QC, but it definitely shouldn't be this way. I bought this rifle NIB, and had only taken it out to quickly look it over when my dealer got it in. Otherwise, it hadn't been handled or displayed to my knowledge whatsoever. Trigger, and test target are very good. Bluing is wonderful, very nice high polish. Stock is beautiful too, except the aforementioned problem. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks;.  :'(

waterboy452

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 10:22:19 PM »
Forgot to add, that if it was a repaired stock, it was done at the factory, as it is NIB. Just to clarify. Didn't want to cause confusion in my post, but sure would like to have my new rifles stock as it should be. Thanks again.