Spike Camp

Factory load for Vanguard .25-06

Factory load for Vanguard .25-06
« on: May 14, 2009, 11:29:15 AM »
Hey guys,
Just got a new vanguard synthetic in .25-06 Rem. I am not a reloader (yet) and am wondering if anyone has any opinion on where I should start in terms of finding a good factory load. Any previous experience with good loads or manufacturers or any opinions are very welcome and much appreciated.
Thanks
Isaac

Lix

Re: Factory load for Vanguard .25-06
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 07:55:53 PM »
My Sub MOA shoots 120gn Win power points at .6" but it hates the 115 Elite (or whatever it is - the silver one). The Federal ammunition is slightly larger than the 120gn Winnie but still less than 1"

Alex

zonie

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 03:34:45 PM »
Congratulations on the new 25-06 :  I think you are really going to like it, usually very accurate , low recoil, very easy to load for and flat shooting. I very seldom buy any factory stuff, but the one thing to remember all rifles shoot a little different even in the same brand/model, so it's imposible to say which will shoot the best in your rifle. personally I would buy a box of the least expensive brands to start with in the bullet weight/style you intend using and give them a try. Unfortunately the 25-06 doesn't have the biggest selection to choose from as compared to some of the other cartridges. If you start hand loading it will open up a whole new ball game.  A very old friend of mine has had one for years and will shoot 5 shot, the center out of a qtr and sometimes a dime @ 100 yds with a sierra 75 gr hp, it just tears varmits to pieces.

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 09:01:53 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys. It is true that each rifle shoots factory loads or hand loads for that matter differently than an identical rifle if the same caliber would. I guess I should be asking what bullet weights typically shoot the most accurate from .25-06, if that is any easier of a question. Is it more likely that the heavier or lighter bullets will stabilize with the given 1-10" twist rate? As always any help is much appreciated. If this question is unanswerable, that is fine as well. Thanks
Isaac

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 09:25:34 PM »
Black Hills Gold 100gr TSX ;)

sravinger

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 07:46:11 PM »
Bustin, the Black Hill Gold 100 gr. TSX is tuff to top for a factory round. Try most all the 100 gr. stuff & measure your groups. You'll need to test on paper to determine what your rifle likes (shoots smaller groups). I like a 200 yrd. zero w/ this round for coyote, hogs, deer & antalope. Yes it is worth $15 a box more for your hunting load.
If you rifle slings the 100 gr. TSX all over, consider Winchester Supreme Combined Technology 115 gr. Ballistic Silver Tip for game, 85gr. for varmints. Clean you NEW rifle often when testing, good shooting. Let us know your progress, OK?

Salty

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 03:23:40 PM »
Hornady Ammo and Weatherby's go well together. http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0012676212369a.shtml  Federal Vital Shok is also accurate in most of mine.

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 05:12:41 PM »
Thanks guys,
You are all truly a great help. You all pretty much verified what I had already assumed. I probably won't go out and buy Black Hills Gold 100 TSX, because it will run me about $90 for 2 boxes, which I just can't afford right now, (I wish I was a reloader, maybe later in life). So since it is the summer, I will probably focus on a good varmint/coyote load. I was planning on comparing the Win Super X 90 gr, Win Supreme 85 gr, and Fed Vital Shok 85 gr for now. IN the fall I will probably look at Hornady, Rem, and Winchester for a good white-tail load. The reason I posted this question was because my first trip to the range with a box of Rem 100 gr SP, turned out to be a bit confusing. I suspected that was the bullet they used for the factory target, which was really impressive, about .75 of an inch, but at the range I didn't do so well, and did clean frequently. I could have hit a bad batch of ammo or had an off day, but the results weren't what I had hoped. Anyway, thanks again, it is really much appreciated.
Isaac

wyldgene

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 09:02:03 PM »
...I've had pretty good results w/ the Fusion 120gr. & 117gr. Federal Power-Shok in my .25-06 Vanguard...