Spike Camp

7mmwby dies arrived today

Steven Lee McArthur

Re: 7mmwby dies arrived today
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2009, 01:47:21 PM »
James, Here are some suggestions for reloading the Hornady 154 gr. Spire Points. IMR powder 4895, Wt.( Gr. ) 38.0, Muzzle Velocity of 2,223 ( fps.). Loading Density ( 78% ). IMR 4350, Wt. ( Gr.) 44.0, Muzzle velocity of 2,242 ( fps.) Loading density ( 94%) or IMR 4831, Wt. ( Gr.) 45.5, Muzzle velocity of 2,223 ( fps.) Loading density ( 100% ). Thats the best I can come up with on the 7mm. I hope this helps you. I would go with the greatest muzzle velocity, the IMR 4350 powder. Theres alot of shock value to a fast bullet.           Steven McArthur

wyldgene

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2009, 03:51:02 PM »
Steven, I'm sorry, but these don't appear to be 7mm WBM loads...

Hornady Manual for the 154gr. SP lists;
RL-22 min 65.0grs@ 2800fps// max 75.8grs @ 3300fps
RL-19 min 62.6grs. @2800fps// max 71.1grs. @ 3200fps
IMR 4350 min 58.1grs.@2800fps// max 66.7grs.@ 3200fps
H 4350 min 55.7grs.@ 2800fps// max 67.3grs.@ 3200fps
IMR 4831 min 60.7grs.@ 2800fps// max 69.0grs.@ 3200fps
H 4831 min 62.7grs.@ 2800fps// max 73.0grs. @ 3200fps

zonie

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2009, 06:29:03 PM »
Steven:  I'm not sure we are on the right page here.  What caliber are you referencing ? wildgene good job for catching it.  James you have to double check everything especially powder charges. A very good friend of mine re-loaded some 3031 in a 375 ruger awhile back info his brother in law gave him off the computer.  Totally too hot for his rifle he was lucky the gun didn't come apart. This is why I normally don't recommend loads on this site,  too many mistakes can be made.  Another good idea is having mutiple loading manuals to double check even the manufacturers as they usually have small differences in charge weights. Even with all the loading I have done I still go back to the manuals each time I re-load.   

WBY MAG MAN

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2009, 11:51:02 AM »
I checked all 7mm loads in my Hornady book and none of these are even close! DO NOT USE them!! I looked at 7mm bench rest, TCU, International rimmed, Wby mag, Rem mag, Wsm, SAUM, wasn't in there for any of these. Alway's double check... Jerry

wyldgene

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 05:52:30 PM »
Steve made a mistake, it happens...

...we just need to watch each other's backs to make sure erronious loads get caught, & don't get used, along w/ promoting safe & proper techniques when reloading. Get the right data for the right bullet, if something, like a primer, is different, procede w/ caution. Use common sense, verify everything, & be careful. No problem...

james7mmwby

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2009, 06:39:46 PM »
No worries guys, and thanks for your concern.
Everything I read here I confirm with research, books, powder companies, loading manuals etc.
I am new at this game at take it very seriously. I also have very knowledgeable friends locally at my gun club who I consult on a regular basis. The last thing I want to do is damage my firearms, myself or the shooter in the lane next to me. I actually pulled apart a batch of 20 9mm because I had a doubt that turned out to be nothing, but better safe than sorry. I grew up around firearms and know they're not to be treated as toys or experimental science labs. I love to shoot and wish to for many more years. I am often chided for being the safety freak at hunt camp, but there is no compromise in my view. This is the way I will train my children when they are old enough to take up the shooting sports. Knowledge is the key to all  endeavors in this life. Ignorance and bravado only leads to bad things.

Again thank you gentlemen for your concern. I can only say it shows the quality of people who interact on this forum. Steve meant no harm I know, was only trying to help as all do on this forum. I think that's why we like it so much.

James 

james7mmwby

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2009, 11:44:58 PM »
Zonie,

Just finished cruising Amazon.com and have Hornady's 7th edition and Lymans manual coming my way. Also picked up a copy of The ABC's of hand loading at my local gun dealer. I had to return my borrowed manual to my friend, he's working on some 455 webley.

Steven Lee McArthur

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2009, 09:22:19 AM »
Gentlemen, I really wasnt trying to get anyone hurt with the information I provided on the 7mm loads. I came across it on a Hornady load chart. I didnt look for 7mm. WBY loads and all WBY owners know how different the WBY loads are. The reason I tried to help was because at the time it didnt seem like anybody was responding to the question. I didnt mean to imply that this is exactly what you should use but only heres some information to go by. Im truly sorry, I dont claim to know everything about reloading so I try to stick to factory loads as much as I can afford. I joined the Weatherby Nation for the brotherhood of being a WBY owner with others of the same interest and hunting. Thanks for the genuine communication from some of you, its been a pleasure.            Steven McArthur

zonie

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2009, 10:20:34 AM »
James : We don't see very many Webleys in my area what a cool pistol.  I'm sure you are going to find those manuals very fascinating and good reading.  Have you done any loading for the 7 mm yet  and if so how did it go ?  Two books I find really good just for reading sake is Cartridges of the World by Frank Barnes and Pet Loads by Ken Waters.  I have an old copy by Barnes looks pretty ragged now and the latest and final ed of Pet loads. They are a little dated but when these guys speak people listen.

Steven :  We all make mistakes all is forgiven,  I retired from the Fire Service along with owning a bullet company at one time  and let me tell you when some one goofs up in the Dept you get ragged on for life, those firefighters have memories like an Elephant and since every one goofs  at one time we always put it back on them, all in good fun. we all learned to get tough skin, but we all stood together.

james7mmwby

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2009, 04:13:26 PM »
Zonie,

My dealer is out of federal #215 primers.
They have winchester WLMR ( large magnum rifle ). I didn't pick any up because I didn't know if this was a suitable substitute to use with H4831. Are they? Any suggestions. I saw in my Hodgson powder book several non wby mags use this primer.

wyldgene

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2009, 04:23:45 PM »
James, the loads I listed above come from the Hornady Manual, & used a Rem 9 1/2M primer, any Magnum rifle primer will work, you just need to be aware different primers, can change the pressure/ velocity. Start w/ a lighter than max load, work your way up towards max, watch for pressure signs, as described above...

zonie

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2009, 05:24:57 PM »
James : I use a lot of Winchester Large magnum rifle primers,  no big deal,  When things settle down I usually buy primers depending what I'm loading for in 1000 or 5000 lots, I may pick up some benchrest primers or old ball types in 100 packs just to try out. you will be fine with the Win primers. I do agree with Gene if you are hitting max loads with one primer I would back off a little with any new brand and that goes for any componet change especially brass as internal capacities are different from brand x  to brand y.  An easy way to tell is pour water in the case and weight it,  you will see the difference in case capacity.

Steven Lee McArthur

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2009, 08:06:58 PM »
James,   I have a question for you since you just ordered your dies for reloading, How do I go about ordering WBY 300 mag dies and dont worry fellas Im not going to goof up I have someone who will reload for me thats experienced. He's a retired Army Shooting Team match shooter and reloader.                   Steve Mc

wyldgene

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2009, 09:18:50 PM »
Steve, most LGS will order them in if they don't have them in stock & save you the cost of shipping, or you can order from Midway or others, or direct from the factory (RCBS & others). I'd check w/ your LGS first, .300WBM dies are fairly common, & you'll need a #4 shellholder...

David

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2009, 09:26:17 PM »
Steve,
I last week purchased RCBS dies for $30 from my local wal-mart.
ddraper