Spike Camp

Discuss the Weatherby Vanguard® Sporter

Discuss the Weatherby Vanguard® Sporter
« on: July 27, 2007, 12:27:43 PM »
The performance and value of the popular Vanguard® is now available for wood stock enthusiasts.

Magnum 7mm

Re: Discuss the Weatherby Vanguard® Sporter
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 06:22:19 AM »
I purchased this rifle in 257 magnum for my son about 2 years ago.  With Weatherby ammo (115 gr. BST) this rifle will print groups 1" and under @ 200 yards!!!  It kills deer like the hammer of Thor hit em!  I prefer the Mark V though.

SCOTT CHRISTIAN

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 07:23:13 PM »
NEED HELP TO ID MY VANGUARD.... BOX TAG SAYS "WEATHERBY DLX VAN GUARD SPORTER" ALSO SAYS "VDM300WR40"  THE RIFLE SERIAL # IS VS107797....THE STOCK LOOKS GREAT HAS ROSE WOOD TIP..... THE STOCK LOOKS LIKE A DLX STOCK W/O ANY MAPLE NEED TO KMOW MORE ABOUT THIS GUN WHAT DO I REALY HAVE ...WHAT YEAR WAS IT MADE

Bill L. Nicholson

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 12:21:17 PM »
I traded a Remington Mountain Rifle (Model 700) in .270 for my Sporter in .243 about 18 months ago, and couldn't be more pleased.  Each Vanguard appears to be a tremendous value, but I would have to say that the Sporter is my favorite.  Just this year, I bought a Synthetic for my son-in-law in .270, and we're both printing sub-MOA groups from 100 yards.  My brother is now looking for a rifle, and I'm promoting the Vanguard for him.  Finally, on my recent (last week) pronghhorn hunt in New Mexico, I recommended the Vanguard for my guide's 11 year old daughter.  So, I not only own one, but I'll recommend this product to anyone who will listen.  Thanks-

Trenton Yarber

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 03:54:32 PM »
I have recently perchased my .257weatherby mag. and I am extremly happy. I've owned many rifles and have had many that shot very well. None of which hold a candle to this gun. This calibur is remarkable and it is my favorite rifle. I am a big fan of 25 calibur rifles and I own a few of them. This is by far the most accurate rifle I've ever shot.

jeff_w_webb

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 07:33:55 PM »
Just bought this gun a couple months ago for the upcoming mule deer hunt.  It is a Vanguard Sporter w/ Walnut stock.  I was at the range today and after about the 15th shot with Weatherby 165g Nosler tip ammo, the stock shattered.  It is between the notch for the bolt handle and the trigger assembly.  I am very disappointed because my hunt is next weekend.  Im not sure what to do.  Very dissappointing.

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 04:19:44 PM »
What kind of rest were you using?  I have a sneaking suspicion I already know the answer.

Your best bet (though not the most immediately cost effective) is to order a replacement from Weatherby and pay the extra to have it overnighted.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

HunterChasse

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 07:49:26 AM »
 hey guys i have the Vanguard Sporter in a .300 WBYMAG.....i love it, looks great and shoots accurate.......one thing, the ingraved diamond point checkering tends to lose it's color easy, just by grabbing the gun abit by where you grip the gun by the trigger area....id like to know if that's happening for you guys to and what you do, just take a wood marker maybe and touch it up??

Demontang

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 11:05:21 PM »
During this last hunting season I couldnt find any factory loads I wanted to use for deer so I load up some 200gr noslers and shot a nice clover group with my vangaurd. These are great guns for the money and I would love to own another one.

eford

• View Profile
I really have a Vanguard Deluxe 22-250, NOT the sporter that is shown in my gun rack. (The Vanguard Deluxe is not offered anymore in 22-250.) I got the 22-250 used, but it still shoots great and has the best trigger of any rifle I own. My near-term goal with this rifle is to shoot a sub-1" group, and then turn my attention on the coyetes and prarie dogs in SW Kansas.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 05:32:30 PM by eford »
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

piove

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 11:51:19 PM »
I have a Stainless Sporter in .308 win, and I love it.  It is a bit heavier than my previous centrefire rifles, but is much more confidence inspiring.  It is accurate and hard hitting.  The groups that I shoot at the range are tighter than any I have shot with anything else, and my only complaint was the "lawyers trigger" the gun is hampered with.
I had it modified by a gunsmith, and now it is light, crisp and utterly predictable.
The wood gets knocked around, and has a few scars, but I like that.  Every one tells a story.
It is without a doubt, my favourite centrfire rifle.  I would love a .257 in ULW, but circumstances preclude this.  This will do me for years to come.

bassman185

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 07:34:19 AM »
THERE I NOTHING BETTER THEN FEELING A WOOD GRAIN STOCK !
SYNTHIC STOCKS FEEL SO FAKE
OUT OF THE 13 RIFLES AND OTGUND I HAVE ALL BUT 3 ARE WOOD GRAIN , AND I LOVE THE FEEL OF THE WOOD GRAIN MUCH BETTER , SYNTHIC STOCKS ARE HOLLOW AND DONT COMPARE TO THE REAL WOOD

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2009, 12:21:53 AM »
I just bought a Vanguard Sporter 30-06 last week with a satin finish walnut stock - it looks and feels great.  I checked out a lot of bolt actions, and could not stand the "plastic" feel of the synthetics.  I just sighted it in today at 100 yards, and shot just under a 1.5" group using 165 grain Core-Lokts.  I could probably get that tighter with silver tips or better. 

HunterChasse - As far as the checkering losing its color, I noticed that my checkering was a lttle lighter colored than the rest of the stock, and somewhat dry (on a brand-new gun, but it had been sitting in the store for about a year).  I was concerned that it might not be sealed that great.  I picked up a small plastic bottle of Birchwood-Casey "Tru-Oil" Gun Stock Finish for about $6.99 at Dick's Sporting Goods.  It is a blend of Linseed and natural oils that dries fast (within 2 hours), and will not cloud, yellow or crack.  I generously applied it to the forearm and pistol grip checkered areas with a set of small hobby brushes - soaking the checkering fairly well, then letting it absorb and dry (I also wiped up any excess before letting it dry).  The checkering now looks fantastic and still feels great - it slightly darkened and sealed it, and the finish is a perfect match to the satin walnut stock.

I live in Central Florida, but am looking forward to using my Vanguard to hunt Whitetail in the Catskills in New York this fall (my old stompin' grounds 30 years ago).

Eagle Rider

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2009, 05:13:51 AM »
I have one in 25-06,..... hard to beat for the performance, beauty and accuracy out of the box.  For the money it has better appointments than the Brownings, Remingtons, Winchesters and the TC Icons.  The Japanese made barrel and action is a non-issue (Browning's been using Japanese steel for 20 + years); not to mention you can get into the Vanguard Sporter for 1/3 the price of the competitors.  Anyway that's my two-cents for the morning.  What I'd like to see from Weatherby is a Vanguard Sporter with a checkered laminate stock and matte barrel.  I'd buy one like that in a second. 

dls56

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 07:01:32 PM »
My Vanguard Sporter in .270 has been my go to this year for whitetail hunting. It handles well, shoots where I aim, and has been instrumental in my taking 4 (all were one shot kills) so far this season, one was a 10 point that is going on the wall.
I hope not to offend anyone by admitting that the Vanguard Sporter got the nod on opening day because of rainy conditions and I didn't want to get a much more expensive rifle that I'd normally use wet. The Weatherby has preformed so well that it's got the front position in my gun safe for right now.
Happy hunting, Weatherby Vanguard Sporters rock!