Spike Camp

Discuss the Weatherby Vanguard® Sporter

alex branham

Re: Discuss the Weatherby Vanguard® Sporter
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2010, 09:08:54 PM »
i have the 270 vanguard and it is one of the best guns out there. it is extremely accurate.it has a good recoil pad that comes stock so almost any one can shoot it. it fires good with almost any grain ammo. overall one of the best guns ever

dutch01

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2010, 08:25:05 PM »
My Vangard .270 was was purchased at a Rod and Gun Club on RAF Bentwaters, United Kingdon in the mid 70s.  It never had a shot fired through it for  over 30 years.  I shot a little 4 point White Tail a couple years ago, and a nice 6X7 Bull Elk two years ago, but that is about all the use the gun has seen.  The gun is beautiful, and spot on accurate.  I am not going to be able to hunt much anymore.  Getting real hard for me to get around.  Retirement isn't what it was cracked up to be.  I would like to sell the gun, but have no idea what it might be worth.  It has a 3X9 scope on it.  I don't know what make the scope is (nothing printed on the scope), but it sure does a nice job.  I am new to this forum business, but if anyone can give me a ball park figure on what the gun might bring with the scope, I would appreciate it.  I will put it up for sale as next deer season approaches.

fuonlynu

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2010, 09:41:57 PM »
dutch01.. I had the same gun 1970's vanguard in caliber 270 it had a 4x Weatherby scope I sold it about 7 years ago for $375.00 us  your gun is probably worth the same now.

vanguard7mm08

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2010, 03:58:37 PM »
I own a sporter in 7mm08 shooting winchester 140gr supreme shells I have consistant groups under 3/4" at 150 yds . The nikon scope might have a little to do with it also. Weatherby accuracy is the standard that all guns should be compared to.

alex branham

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2010, 11:41:53 AM »
i would like to own a vanguard sporter in 30 06. it isthe biggest gun you can use in greenwood but it would be a nice gun to add to my collection

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2010, 09:28:48 PM »
Alex:I don't understand that you can't own a gun bigger than 30-06.Can you fill us on please and where is Greenwood?
Roger
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

alex branham

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2010, 10:15:26 PM »
the reason i want a 30 06 is because its the biggest caliber u can use and greenwood and i wanted something bigger than my 270. p.s. greenwood is in south carolina

neorebel

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2010, 08:02:29 PM »
Just got my Vanguard Sporter out to the range today. I mounted a Redfield Revolution 3x9 with accurange on it. I centered the recticle and shot my first three rounds. I only had to adjust it 8 clicks down and 4 clicks over for dead center at 100 yards. That's fantastic! The trigger is absolutely incredible. NO Creep and very crisp! My groups with Normal factory ammo...not premium is less than 1 minute of angle at 100 yards, with one group measuring about 3/4 inch. I used Remington, 150 grain, Core-Lokt. I can't wait to use some premium ammo!

Thank you Mr. Weatherby for an accurate, affordable, and beautiful rifle!! :)

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2010, 08:50:51 PM »
Alex:I am confused on why you can't use anything over a 30-06?Is this a club rule or lease rule or some law where you are?
Roger
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

Eagle Rider

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2010, 04:20:09 PM »
I have several Vanguards (4 to be exact).  My Sporter is in 25-06,  Out of the box its has been the most accurate wooden stock bolt action I have ever owned.  With hand loaded 117 gr SST bullets and Ramshot Mag powder it is SubMOA and will shoot .5 to .25 clover leaf groups at 100 yards.  The features are ALL Weatherby, shrouded bolt, M16 style extractor.  When the bolt is forward and down the engagement is about the most positive thing in the world!!!!!  The wood is beautiful and well featured but not too overstated.  I couldn't be happier.  There are a few improvements that could be added, and are only found in competitors rifles that are $300 more than the Vanguard Sporter.  So for the value there is none better. 

alex branham

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2010, 07:24:27 PM »
idk but it is the biggest gun u can use in greenwood, s.c.

alex branham

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2010, 08:00:53 PM »
hey guys i gotta quick question which would i be more pleased with the vanguard sporter or the vanguard synthetic package

fuonlynu

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2010, 08:09:04 PM »
Alex thats a hard question for someone to answer this would be totaly up to you and the environment in whitch you are hunting or using the gun. I got the plastic knowing that I was going to swap it out with a better synthetic. If not for that I would have gotten the wood stock hands down.

mtaylor200

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2010, 07:33:45 PM »
Alex I would go with a synthetic. I sent mine back earlier this year and had them rebuild the bolt due to the recall. The stock was cracked, which they paid for due to manufacture defect, and added the muzzle break. A world of difference, wish I had done this years ago.

guitarman1978

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2011, 02:17:20 AM »
i have the same rifle in 300 win mag. love it!