Spike Camp

Calibers you would like to see in the Vanguard?

eweatherby

Re: Calibers you would like to see in the Vanguard?
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2007, 09:21:35 AM »
We are here and we are listening.
E.W.

Magnum 7mm

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2007, 09:32:44 AM »
To me the caliber selection is great.  The only thing I can dream for is a LEFT HAND Vanguard since I'm a southpaw.  I know that will never happen though.

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2007, 12:51:02 PM »
There are several calibers and variations of the vanguard that would be sweet.
1) Offer the 7STW and 8 mm Rem Mag in Vanguards. Both calibers would really fall into the Weatherby family and as they are being dumped by Rem for RUM they could really spruce of the lineup. The STW has all kinds of factory offerings for ammo and the 8 rem is going to become more popular with 325 wsm growing popularity.
2) Come up with a propriety short line of Weatherby Short Mags using 378 belted case but have them fit into short actions. Use the Weatherby venturi style taper but just a bit less so you don't have pressure problems.
3) I would like a 284 and 6.5-284 in Weatherby Vanguard Special for personal reasons.

Sincerely,

Thomas
Sincerely,

Thomas

razurbak

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2007, 09:07:38 PM »
I would like to see the 30-378 and the 338-378 Weatherby cartridges in the Vanguard. Another great one would be the 6.5x284.

DHE

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2007, 09:33:23 PM »
Mr. Riodot;

This was a great idea for a post!  Creative thinking on your part!

Like you, I would very much like to see the .375 Weatherby in the Vanguard Series.  Failing the re-introduction of the .375 Weatherby, I think the .416 Remington or the .375H&H would be a nice addition.  Especially the .416 Remington!  (Of course, if the .375 Weatherby was re-introduced in the Vanguard, that would also be an automatic .375H&H option in the mix).  Best of all worlds, .416 Remington and .375 Weatherby.  Of course this rifle would need to weigh at least a minimum of 8 1/2 pounds, preferably 9 pounds.

Mr. Kabodu68;

Brilliant idea to suggest the 8MM's!  I strongly agree!

When I came to this thread intending to reply, I was going to mention the 8MM; but to your credit, you got here first with what is, in my opinion a great suggestion.  My hat is off too you Mr. Kabodu68 for suggesting the 8MM Remington or the .325 WM!  I would like to also throw out for consideration the 8 X 68S.  But my real hope would be for the 8MM Remington Mag.

Here's a thought to ponder.  What if Mr. Weatherby were to re-introduce the 8MM Remington Mag in the Weatherby Vanguard Series and succeed with it were Remington failed!  Wouldn't that be a hoot!!! (or the 6MM Remington, for that matter).  I'll bet there would be some opened jaws, shocked faces, and near heart attacks in Madison, NC!  Ha!Ha!

Final thought.  We suggest and suggest on these calibers.  The Vanguard Series has a basic "core of standard usable calibers".  How about Vanguard limited runs of certain calibers periodically?  For example, every other year, mfg. some .416 Remingtons ( 9 pounds per rifle, please!); about every 3 years, a limited run of 8MM Rem Mags; about every 3 or 4 years a limited run of 6MM Rem.  Anyway, you get the idea.  Every caliber gets a limited run periodically (outside the basic core calibers of Weatherby Vanguard).  Sales could dictate how often a production run needed to happen.  Sometimes sales might be so brisk, that limited runs could become -- standard offerings.
This way, everybody is happy.  And if the sales work out; hopefully, Mr. Ed Weatherby will be the happiest of all!

I'll leave with these calibers.  .416 Remington, .375 Weatherby, an 8MM of some flavor (preferably Rem. Mag.) would make me happiest. With periodic runs of everything else.

DHE

phil

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2007, 10:19:43 AM »
I would love to see the 240WBY available in the vanguard. The 270WBY and 7mmWBY would be great too. But above all, if it would shoot well, the 30-378 would be my first choice - please!

kbs270

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2007, 12:27:20 PM »
I would like to see the 260 remington.This is a great caliber and it is alot better for deer than a 243 win.

avagadro

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2007, 11:09:34 PM »
Simple .... 280AI

Put it in the Vanny ... MkV ULW, Fibermark, and Deluxe. (esp. the ULW!!)

Nosler is making ammo for it .... Weatherby should too!!!

Vigilante

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2007, 12:13:44 AM »
I would like to see the 260 remington.This is a great caliber and it is alot better for deer than a 243 win.

I'd buy a Vanguard or a Mark V in .260 Rem. for sure. My first choice would be 6.5x55 Swedish however, followed by .260 Rem.

Twud

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2007, 06:12:31 AM »
I would like to see a full blown, no holds barred heavy barreled varminter. 224 through 257 and maybe 220 Swift.

Eric

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2007, 07:49:21 PM »
I agree with most of the suggestions. The most important ones to me would be the 224, 240, 270, 7mm, 340 and 375 Weatherbys. 375 H&H and 6.5X55 would be really be cool too.
Of course I would love to see the 375s with open sights and maybe even a drop magazine to give the CZ 550 some compatition also.

beavcrk

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2007, 04:52:33 PM »
I own two Vanguard deluxes.  One in >257 WBY, one in .300 WBY.  They are weapons well worthy of the Weatherby name.  Garanteed accuracy, beauty to make an old cowboy weepy eyed, and very, very deadly at great distances.  I don't know if a Vanguard action can stand the pressure, but I would buy a .378 tommorow if one were offered.  It needs to come standard with express sights.  Like lazye says, the CZ 550 needs some competition.  Right now the 550 in .416 Rigby has my interest.  If the  price were anywhere close, I would own the Weatherby every time.   

avagadro

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2007, 10:59:53 PM »
In regards to the 378 class of cartridges (30/338-378, 378-460WBY), I'm not entirely sure the Vanny could handle them.  Its not the recoil or pressure created by these monsters (I have not doubt the Vangard action could easily take that punishment .... instead my concern would be the bolt face dimensions.  I'm not sure you could open the bolt face on the bolt enough and still be safe.  Perhaps one of Weatherby's 'smiths could chime in here.  I imagine setting up the tooling to enhance the bolt  on the Vangard would be severely cost prohibitive .... REMEMBER the Vanny is the "affordable" Weatherby.  I don't think a $1200 Vangard is in anyone's best interest.

beavcrk

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2007, 10:21:17 PM »
George,  You bring up some good points.  And no, retooling is not cheap.  However, were the boys in R&D to solve the bolt face problem, I agree, after you gave me food for thought, that a Vanguard action is based on the all-time famous Mauser, so strength should not be a problem.  I thank you for your thoughts.  Not to be too gabby, but I desperately want to go to Zimbabwe for Buffalo, and a .378 in Vanguard would help the finances more than a little bit.  One other thing.  If you have not handled a Deluxe, I tell you now they are worth the difference in cost.  To me, at least.
Ron

avagadro

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2007, 01:59:56 PM »
Ron .... couldn't agree with you more!  The MkV Deluxe is head and shoulders above ANY Vangard.  I think the Vanny is a fine rifle although I don't own any (I do however own an older Howa) I have thought about owning one or two.  Sub-MOA in 257Roy is nice ... but I think I would still rather have a MkV .... Accumark sounds good to me! :)

In regards to a Safari/DG rifle ... I would choose the MkV anyday over most other rifles.  There are many that smack of the CRF vs. PF debale in a DGR .... not so important to me (after all ... that is why I have a PH, if the poop really hits the fan).  The biggest selling point IMHO is the short bolt lift required by the MkV ... no busted knuckles = less time to get that second round down the pipe.

If you really wanted a 375 bore Vanny ... buy yourself a used Sporter in 300Roy and get a good smith to put one a 375 barrel chambered in 375Roy.  I'm not sure if the H&H would work well in the mag since it is designed for the fatter WBY cartridge.  I'm pretty sure you could accomplish that for less than $1K (or there abouts). 

One better would be to surf your local gun shops (esp the ones that take trades).  Often folks buy these beasts (378Roy and up) shoot it one or twice and trade it in.  I did once see a used Deluxe (416WBY) for about $500 off new WITH 17 rounds of factory ammo along with the deal!!!!  Thought about offering $1000 for it, but decided not too.

I know the 378 can launch 300 grainers at nearly 3000fps, which is a lotta whoopass ... but I still think the 375Roy is the way to go, just for the ability to shoot H&H ammo if you get into a tight spot!!!