Spike Camp

Discuss the Weatherby Vanguard® Stainless

Discuss the Weatherby Vanguard® Stainless
« on: July 27, 2007, 12:28:37 PM »
The Vanguard® Stainless is the ideal choice for the hunter who wants legendary performance, rugged durability and exceptional value all wrapped up in a well-balanced package. Eliminates game-spooking glare while fighting off the effects of rain or snow.

Kodiak

Re: Discuss the Weatherby Vanguard® Stainless
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 03:33:05 PM »
I have noticed that this rifle-line , in the past, has been available with either of 2 different stock designs. One with the typical Weatherby high-comb stock and the other was a more "classic" style. Was there a manufacturing problem at that time or was this an option?

Thanks,

kcalj1975

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 02:58:09 PM »
I won this gun in a raffle and have not fired it yet! I am a little up in the air about optics for it yet. thinking Zeiss conquest, leupold vxl, or I also like the burris black diamond titanium. !!!!!!!!

westholm

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 12:32:52 PM »
I´m from sweden and I bought this rifle in july, and then i went to the target range 12 shots perfect i thought. Then it was the moose hunt, it came a cow and double calves i shot 4 shots and it broked.. 16 shots with a brand new 300 win mag and it broked.. very disappointed at this rifle..the whole hunting season was destroyed:(

John

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 02:46:43 PM »
Westholm,
Let us know some details.  How and what broke??
ALMOST DANGEROUS

Hogslayer77

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 07:34:36 AM »
uff!  :o

Ok, I'm thinkin' maybe someones handloads that were "really hot"?

Bummer to hear about the "ruined hunt" maybe next time try and take a backup rifle just in case. Anything can happen, just say you drop your rifle on a rock and crack the scope...good to have your favorite #2 around.

Enough speculation and lecture....What happened?

westholm

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 10:04:05 AM »
the bolt broked when i reloaded i got it in my hand..and it was only factory ammunition..norma jaktmatch and oryx.. my backup rifle is a Carl Gustaf 6,5x55..

Hogslayer77

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 06:51:13 PM »
Geez,

Soory to hear that Westholm...total bummer.

How does that 6.5 shoot??

Eagle Rider

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 09:22:37 PM »
One of my two go - to rifles.  Its actually a Back Country Model.  In custom loaded ammo it will take the wings off flies at 100 yds.  It likes 61.5 grs of Ramshot Magnum in Federal Brass (COAL 3.460) with a  Nosler 130 gr Ballistic Tip, WLR primers.  I only use a 3-9x50 Nikon Prostaff with a set of Leupold bases and rings.  It is deadly medicine on whitetails and antelope.  Just take a at my trophy room photos. 

tpifher

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 12:02:56 PM »
I won a WBY 270 WSM, mounted a used Leupold scope on it, went to sight in at Bass Pro Shops range. At 25 yards it was an easy job, 3 shells and it was a perfect center in the 10 ring. I have also had the barrel ported, Sweet.I think I'm in love.

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 03:07:39 PM »
Congrats on the Wby and to top it off, you won it.Where is your Bass Pro that has a 25 yd range to sight in?
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

bill4winds

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 12:25:48 PM »
I bought this rifle a couple of years ago at the Sportsmans Warehouse I got it in .300WSM,W/Nikon 3-9 BDC Prostaff scope.  I have taken it to the range a couple of times and it shoots very well. I shoot Winchester Ballistic Silvertip 150 Gr. . I have not had any bad reactions to shooting this rifle whats-so-ever.......
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 12:45:00 PM by bill4winds »

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 01:43:00 PM »
Bill, glad you like the rifle and welcome to the nation. That sounds like a great set-up, both for value and performance. Let us know how it does in the field.
Isaac

buzz350

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 03:37:11 AM »
Hi i'm from down under Australia. Just purchased .223 Vanguard S1 stainless. I changed the stock over to a Howa camo stock. Just wondering if floating the barrel would it affect the guns accuracy. I just figure when it comes to guns may as well ask the Americans seeing they make and shoot them alot.

NMARKANITE

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 09:20:40 AM »
I would think bedding the action would more beneficial than floating the barrel but Weatherby claims if it is smaller in diameter than their #3 contour barrels that they have had better luck with the barrels being supported with pads about 2 inches from the ends of the fore grip? Not sure about Howa stocks as i was under the impression they were cheaper made than factory stocks and unsure of their bedding or lack of it? and i assume it fits the barrel tightly or you would not be concerned about it's accuracy? So what kinda groups were you getting with factory stock and what kinda groups are you getting with the Howa Cammo buzz?