Spike Camp

Best 7mm rem mag factory load for deer

GMLSX

Best 7mm rem mag factory load for deer
« on: July 27, 2009, 10:11:40 AM »
I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on what the best ammo is for whitetail deer that can be bought at a local store...I have no idea how to handload, and no one to help me with it...so no option there. Thanks

I am looking for something under 200 yards that wont seperate and damage meat.

Thanks Again.

TheONE73

Re: Best 7mm rem mag factory load for deer
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 12:12:44 PM »
You can't really go wrong with this one.

I would say stick with Remington CoreLokts or blue box Federal ammo in the 140-150 gr. range and you will be fine.  Hornady Innerlocks in the 139 or 154gr. variety are another good deer bullet.

Pick whichever you find a deal on and your rifle shoots well and you will be fine.

zonie

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 12:27:24 PM »
GMLSX :  Daniel is right  the remington corelokt or winchester super X power point and any of the others will be just fine.  Buy a box of remington and see if they shoot well if not try a different brand till you find the right one.

james7mmwby

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 07:09:41 PM »
Just my own opinion, but of all the factory ammo I have shot in all my rifles I found Remington corelokt the the poorest performer in terms of accuracy and killing power. I have always had superior results in my non Wby calibres with federal premium and winchester silvertips. My 303 with fed premium 180gr. speer hotcore has always been a winner. My 30/30 loves win Silvertips has put down numerous does large and small.
Like Zonie said do some tests what works for me might not work for you and your rifles.

God hunting,

wyldgene

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 08:16:55 PM »
Hi Mitchell,
Along w/ the others mentioned, I've had good results w/ the Federal Fusion loads, but I perfer a 175gr. load personally, I'd just as soon have 10-15% more energy than an inch & a half less hold over @ 400yds, unless you're shooting smaller deer, then I'd probably go w/ the 150gr.

WBY MAG MAN

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 01:09:44 PM »
First , Top of the day to you ALL!!, When I was still buying factory loaded ammo, I found my best accuracy and stopping power with the Remington's loaded with Swift Scirocco bullet's. I used them in 270 Win, 7mm Rem mag, and my 300 Rem Ultra mag. These seemed to be very hot, flat shooting factory load's that put down everything I aimed at with them and the price at the time was reasonable. I haven't bought any factory stuff since "03" though so I'm sure thing's have changed  A bunch as all the hand load goodies have skyrocketed in that time span! As far as stopping power goes, you need to pick your shot's as they do tare up some meat. All three gun's shot .75" or better with them at 100yds. Just my 2 cent's...Jerry

ffree

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 01:56:34 PM »
My favorite factory load in 7 MM Rem Mag is the Federal Power Shock in 150 grain soft point. This is about the cheapest factory loaded stuff you can find at about $22 a box on sale. But don't let the price fool you, I don't think fancy high priced designer bullets are really needed for deer sized game, to much meat loss. In my Vanguard this stuff shoots right at .600.

WBY MAG MAN

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 05:07:30 PM »
I just got A "SALE" flyer from Midway in the mail today. I was looking at the ammo on sale, I don't know how you guy's do it!!! Ammo I used to buy for 35.00 buck's is now 60.00-85.00 on sale for pete's sake!! GMLSX I have to change my earlier response, I would look around for some ammo that has A good old tried and true Speer BTSP bullet in it, wont damage the meat to bad, accurate as hell, and should be fairly in-exspensive although I could not find any in their sale flyer. I reload my own and had not paid any attention to current prices until today as I live out in the stix and order everything offline anymore. I only go into town under threat of divorce and even then I think about it real hard. But then she will pop off that she isn't going to take anything but my gun's in court, so then, like A flash I'm in the truck barkin for them to hurry up, they just seem to know how to win!!!...Jerry

james7mmwby

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 06:08:13 PM »
Jerry,

I think you guys are being taken advantage in the USA. Since I re-load now I don't buy anymore, but I did get two boxes for my new 257 primarily for the brass. Only $43.00/20 and the last 7mm wby I bought was $49.00 for TSX. those are Canadian $ so factor in the exchange and I'm getting a great deal. These prices are well below what is listed on the Wby store.

James

WBY MAG MAN

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 08:52:32 PM »
jame's, I was in town A month or so ago and stopped by the gun shop, 257, 270 and 7mm Wby were all between 65.00 and 85.00 depending on the bullet you wanted an that was before tax which here in Washington is 8.2%.. Then I got brave and moved down to the 30-378/338-378 end of the counter, 133.95 for the 30 cal stuff and 139.99 for the 338 factory load's! I'm glad I reload to because my wife would kill me if I spent that on ammo! Her 240 ammo is still only 34.00 A box. About 3 month's ago I paid 75.00 for empty brass at this store to fit the big gun's. No more, I buy it off Gunbroker now for about 1/3 of that. I also have been taking 378 brass and necking it down, I got 5 boxes of it 2 week's ago for 100.00 buck's off Gunbroker. Your right we are gettin the shaft if that's all you guy's are paying. I'm just glad I stocked up on powder, primer's and bullet's before all this hit. I've got enough to last 10 year's. I was going to make sure my kid's and grandkid's can still shoot and hunt in case time's get real tuff. I like my meat and potatoe's, were surrounded by meat in these hill's and they can grow the potatoe's when I get old....Jerry

zonie

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 12:04:14 PM »
Jerry:  It's insane and not really the manufacturers doing the scalping but others down the line, supply and demand.  Unfortunately even when things settle down I don't think we will ever see the prices at pre election times.  Makes you wonder what lies ahead.

GMLSX

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 10:43:52 PM »
I appreciate all the replies guys...but when you start naming off bullet types, you kinda lose me...i know the normals like soft point fmj and such...but this sst and partition stuff i dont understand as of yet...

I bought some 150 gr remington soft point and they sighted in 1'' high at 100 yds....bought some 40 bucks a box premium silvertips, and they went to about 5-6'' high at 100 yds...im not super shot leaning off my ammo can, but it seems like my rifle like the cheaper ammo better...

I wish i knew a reloader locally to help me out...and most of these shots will be under 150 yards...

zonie

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 01:08:28 AM »
GMLSX :  You have some of the finest re-loaders on this site that can walk you thru just about any problem and any question that you can think of, so don't be afraid to ask we are all out here to help.  Don't worry about shooting high it's all about group size and will compensate thru scope/sight adjustments.  How do the less expensive bullets shoot  what size 3 or 5 shot groups ?

zonie

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 02:59:45 AM »
GMLSX : Remember every rifle seems to like a certain bullet/ammo, and so many types out there it can be a little daunting at first. Pretty much any of the brand name ammo makers out there make standard bullets like Remington core lokt's or winchester power points  in your 7mm will take any White tail that ever lived with ease.  If you were hunting elk on up then I would go with a little better constructed bullet.  For right now I would stick with the lesser cost ammo if it shoots good and by that I mean and everyone has their own definition of accuracy, but if you can keep 3 shots within 1 1/2 @ 100 yds that is a good starting point.  I have no doubt given the right loads your 7mm is fully capable of less than an inch given the right loads so long as the rifle is in good condition.  Just take your time when testing new ammo and shoot off a solid rest. Good luck.

GMLSX

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 03:49:25 PM »
I didnt have a very steady rest...i sighted in with the corelokts....i bought the 2bucks a shot ammo cuz i had a gift card to spend at walmart...it groups well, i just didnt wanna adjust my scope to suit the patterning of the new ammo...its 27 a box for the corelokts, and 40 a box for the ballistic tip silvers...

and i always shoot three shot groups...and try to let the barrel cool down some in between shots...I need to invest in a stable shooting rest and hopefully things will get better.