Spike Camp

What Handheld Radios to Buy ?

zonie

What Handheld Radios to Buy ?
« on: July 30, 2009, 11:47:50 AM »
James and I were talking about small hand helds for hunting.  Any preference as to which models would transmit and receive  at greater range in thick forest / canyons ? Qtr mile is about all I can get and that's iffy in some places.  What about hand held marine bands any better ? No cell phone coverage in most of the area.

dubyam

• View Profile
Re: What Handheld Radios to Buy ?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 12:12:10 PM »
About the only thing I can tell you is to look at the transmit/receive power of the radio.  Beyond that, marine radios might transmit better due to higher power, but they will suffer some of the same limits in thick cover that all radios will.  You could always get your ameteur radio license and carry short wave handy-talkies.  There might even be a repeater out there somewhere, but in remote areas that's a long shot.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

JGant

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 12:12:55 PM »
I just ordered a set of Midland GXT900VP4 from Amazon for about $72.00, incl free shipping.
From all the research I did, which I believe was considerable, these were the best bang for the buck.
They should be here Monday.....I'll try them out later in the week, and post an opinion.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 12:14:49 PM by JGant »

james7mmwby

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 12:46:15 PM »
Ron,

here is a link to the Garmin two way radios. They have all the bells and whistles in one. They range from 450.00 down to 195.00. If you already have a gps they might not be for you, but they are excellent.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=146&ra=true

zonie

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 03:40:20 PM »
Thanks Guys :  I am going to have to do some research, I already have GPS 's that I have used for years and love them.  My radios are pretty old so with any of the new technology  is going to be an improvement.   JGant let me know what you think of the new radios.

JGant

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 08:15:00 PM »
Zon....
Will do....prob about the middle of next week....

okie75

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 08:20:53 AM »
+1 to the garmin

I've had about all of the rino models and most of the guys I hunt with have them now as well. Being able to see on a map where the people in your group are at is very handy.

I prefer the 530hcx