Spike Camp

Anyone else having web page navigation problems on this site?

DHE

Anyone else having web page navigation problems on this site?
« on: September 22, 2007, 03:53:02 PM »
Hello fellow sportsmen and sportswomen;

I have been experiencing problems of "Windows has encountered an error and needs to shut down" when trying to surf at this web site.  Then my web page is automatically closed.  This particularly happens when trying to surf the Weatherby Dream Hunt pages. 

The next message generated says Run Time Error.  Many times this error occurs when there is a programming error known as a Null Pointer, although there could be other causes.

I have tried other computers and the same happens there.

I am not complaining, but now I am wondering if others might be having similar problems?

This site is a really great site for the discussion of outdoor sports related ideas.  I want it to succeed.   If others are having a similar problem please speak up, so potential sportsmen and sportswomen friends with lots of knowledge to share with us won't give up this site in frustration due to error messages that shuts their surfing here down.

Anyone else having this problem (of course, if you are, you might not be able to respond, but if you can somehow, please do)?

God bless all my fellow sportsmen and sportswomen.

DHE

DHE

Re: Anyone else having web page navigation problems on this site?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 07:50:06 PM »

I have since moved about the web site a bit, and even posted some.

Seems as if the problem only happens on the pages associated with the Weatherby Dream Hunt.

That is a pity.  I was really hoping to read about everyone else's dream hunt.  I thought that would be a great way to get insight, learn my fellow sportsmen and women's hopes and dreams, and in general become acquainted with my fellow board members.

Anyway, the problem seems to be issolated to one area of the board, and is not a "board wide" problem.  (Again, I suspect a possible Null Pointer Exception on those pages, but I could be wrong).

DHE

skyline

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 08:27:24 PM »
Yes.......a lot. When I post it deadends and sits there blank. When I go back to the site after signing in and saying 'remember me' it does not..............every single time.

Growing pains..............sorry to mention these things.

Eric

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 11:23:29 PM »
I have problems going anywere on this. I love the idea and everything but pages seem to sit still and not load and load very slowly, and it takes forever get anywhere on this site.

eweatherby

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 11:41:04 PM »
Sorry to hear of the navigation problems.  I haven't had a problem yet with any of the pages.  Not sure what is causing it for some.  I will speak to the web administrator about it and see what can be done.  Please hang in there.  I know it can be corrected once they know of the problem.
E.W.

300WEATHERBYBOISE

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 09:02:00 AM »
No problems other than it will not "remember me" when I sign in to the site.
Other than that this is a great web site. Keep up the good work.

Unsub5150

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 05:10:56 PM »
So far the only problem I have had is with the groups.  For example, I subscribed to the group "Reloading for Weatherby Rifles.'  If I click on that link from my profile it takes me to a different page with options.  If I click on "discuss" or "view more. . ." or even the title of the group from that page it takes me to a white screen with nothing on it.  It shows that there are 61 subscribers and I find it hard to believe that no one has posted anything yet.  Of course the problem might also be with the person sitting behind the mouse and keyboard not knowing how to navigate properly.   ;D

Unsub5150

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 05:13:15 PM »
I also just found out that when I click on the "Post Message" button I go to a white screen and it sits there.  I use the Firefox browser if that makes a difference or helps in troubleshooting the problem.

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 10:39:45 AM »
The problems with the "Dream Hunt" can be a flash problem on your computer. Try to upgrade your macromedia flash player. Second, slow loading seems to be the server at weatherbynation being very slow. Try to run the dos window (Start-choose "Run", type "cmd" and hit enter) Now type ping www.weatherbynation.com Below is my result, compared to google.com As you see the server is very slow. Hope that this can be fixed. I have a 20 Mb/sec line, and still it loads slow!

C:\>ping www.weatherbynation.com

Pinging www.weatherbynation.com [69.63.144.231] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 69.63.144.231: bytes=32 time=142ms TTL=54
Reply from 69.63.144.231: bytes=32 time=139ms TTL=54
Reply from 69.63.144.231: bytes=32 time=142ms TTL=54
Reply from 69.63.144.231: bytes=32 time=139ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for 69.63.144.231:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 139ms, Maximum = 142ms, Average = 140ms

C:\>ping www.google.com

Pinging www.l.google.com [66.249.91.104] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 66.249.91.104: bytes=32 time=47ms TTL=244
Reply from 66.249.91.104: bytes=32 time=46ms TTL=244

Ping statistics for 66.249.91.104:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 46ms, Maximum = 47ms, Average = 46ms

C:\>
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 01:51:26 PM by 340 Weatherby »

Weatherby, Symbol of Superiority!

DHE

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 02:56:48 PM »
Mr. 340 Weatherby;

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have however upgraded to the latest version of Flash.  In fact, I could not even join this site until I had done so.

However, that still does not negate your idea that somehow Flash might be responsible for some of this sites web surfing grief.

I have no problems at any other web sites I go to recently except this one.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.  Your efforts and good will is very much appreciated by me.

My mentioning these problems is not to be a complaining sort.  Rather, it is my strongest desire for this site to succeed. My fear is that those who might be having the worse problems navigating this site, are unable to repond to this thread.

Again, Mr. 340 Weatherby, thank you for your suggestions.  They ARE appreciated.

DHE

teesatts

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 11:01:51 AM »
Hey guys,

Thank you all for your feedback.  Of course, everyone here who is working on Weatherby Nation wants to create the best user experience for all involved, so we greatly appreciate any input you can give us.

On that note, we would like to invite anyone who is having an issue with navigation on Weatherby Nation to use the "Feedback" form (found by clicking on the tab at the top of your screen).  Using this feature, we are able to capture your browser, configurations, and flash version, plus the specific URL you are experiencing troubles with.  We use this information to replicate the issues you are seeing, and then deal with those issues in short order.

I hope this post helps.  Please PM me if you have any questions.

Thanks guys.  Keep it coming!

Tony

webmaster

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 09:37:14 PM »
Hello everyone!

Another note of interest...if you would like to change the way you view Spike Camp, you can change the default views in your profile settings.

Simply navigate to your profile page, click on "Edit my profile" in the left hand navigation.  You'll be taken to a screen where you can edit your profile by navigating through three tabs.  Click on the tab called "Settings."  From there, scroll down to the part where you can change your default views for Spike Camp.  Personally, I have mine set for category view and conversation view.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me as well.

Thanks again for visiting the Nation.  See you around!

Webmaster

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2007, 10:07:44 PM »
Thanks for the tip on changing my settings. This was very easy and it worked great. I prefer the category view when I first go to Spike Camp and it changed the preference immediately.

Thanks again!
Magman

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2007, 08:25:16 AM »
My post counter does not work.  Have roughly 10 to 12 post and zero on the counter.

DHE

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2007, 05:44:49 PM »

I have attempted over and over to set my default view to Categrory.  Each time it keeps coming up as Most Popular.  I also asked it to hide my birthday.  No result there either.

Now with that said, these are not "big deal problems" to me.  Both are something I can live with (I marked by birthday as 1/1/1900 [and I am not 107 years old.  HaHa!]).  I will just click Category after the download finally finishes as I have always done -- not a big deal there either, honestly.

By the way, I have cookies enabled when these changes are made just in case some might be wondering.

But the really big problems seem to be less and less lately.  Now just the little "nip and tuck" adjustments need to be made.

DHE