Spike Camp

Discuss the Weatherby Vanguard® SUB-MOA Matte

Discuss the Weatherby Vanguard® SUB-MOA Matte
« on: July 27, 2007, 11:29:00 AM »
Here’s a rifle that takes the accuracy guarantee of the Weatherby Vanguard® to the next level.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 07:38:53 PM by webmaster »

Re: Discuss the Weatherby Vanguard® SUB-MOA Matte
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 06:10:12 PM »
I have had some probs with my rifle i found that the only roun it shoots well is the super X siver point in 180 grain. Has anyone else had this happen

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 01:35:33 AM »
I bought the Vanguard subMoa after a Vanguard synthetic (both 300 WinMag) wich didn't shoot in less than 5inches at 100 yds; the gunsmith who sold me the first tried everything but probably the rifle was born with some defect. anyway the gun shop changed it without discussion and with a little price added I brought home the subMOA that was topped with a very cheap Burris Fullfield 4.5-14x44 bought on the net.
I'm very happy of this rifle that gave me immediate satisfaction with two one-kill-shot at long distance: 330 and 300 yds as shown in my album. I tested the 150grs BTSP Hornady looking for a flatter trajectory and then the 180 grs Hornady SP that gave better results. Waidmannsheil

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 12:49:45 PM »
That Vanguard Synthetic that wouldn't group should be sent back to Weatherby, as even the synthetic carries a 1.5" @ 100yds guarantee.  Glad to hear you're satisfied with the sub-moa, though.  I keep trying to find a way to justify one for my own household!  My wife just doesn't seem to understand, though we made some headway yesterday at dinner when we discussed a major sale at a local gunshop, and she mentioned that I shouldn't buy another rifle I don't need, to which I responded that I surely would not do such a thing, adding that I would not be buying some .458Lott or .416Wby, as those were "Africa rifles" and I didn't need any of those.  What I need is white-tail, muley, elk, pronghorn, caribou, and moose rifles!  She laughed, but I saw a lightbulb go on, however dimly!
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 03:00:57 PM »
I just recentaly purchased a sub moa vanguard chambered in a 257 weatherby mag.  I am a huge 25-06 man.  I have had 5 different ones, but the  257 weatherby is like a 25-06 on steriods!  Mine will shot under 1\2 inch groups at 100 yards with 115 ballistic tip.  Three of my 25 -06's would also do that.  But I shot a white-tail yesterday at 256 yards and it was unbelieveable.  The deer looked like he was body slammed and he weighed 150lbs.  I love my 06's but the 257 weatherby is amazing.

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 09:29:58 PM »
My 257 Weatherby Vanguard Sub MOA is a tack driver -- as advertised.  But the trigger pull is a little heavy.  Can anyone direct me to some instructions on how to adjust the trigger?  I have done some trigger work on other rifles by using pictures and directions.  My Mark Vs have adjustable triggers.  But since I am not a gunsmith, I will need some real instructions.
Thanks.
xbullet1
GB

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 06:04:16 PM »
Did you ever get your trigger adjusted?  If not, I can help you with the directions.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 08:50:17 PM »
Yes, I found the factory instructions and reduced the trigger weight from about 4.5 lbs  to aproximately 3 lbs.  Haven't tested it on the bench yet.  But the rifle was a tack driver before the adjustment.  And it should be even better with a lighter trigger pull.
Thanks.
xbullet1
GB

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 12:28:49 PM »
Did you ever get your trigger adjusted?  If not, I can help you with the directions.

I just purchased a used Vangaurd Sub MOA can you help me with the instructions on how to adjust the trigger?

Thanks,
Jeff

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 05:22:08 PM »
I have a 300 weatherby magnum vanguard and the trigger had about 8 pounds of pull from the factory and took it to a gunsmith and he adjusted it down to about 3.5 pounds and felt and shot great but the safety didn't work so I took it back and he fixed the safety issue but now the trigger feels stiffer and actually has a dead spot just before the trigger pulls far enough to go off just seeing if you have any ideas on adjusting  these to have the safety work and still have good trigger pull.  Thank you

Lix

Re: Discuss the Weatherby Vanguard SUB-MOA Matte
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 06:43:32 PM »
I had the trigger on my .25-06 factory adjusted to 2.5 lbs and it is fantastic. I have used a Rifle Basics trigger in another Weatherby and found that also to be very good. I am told that those Rifle basics triggers are easy to install and adjust, so perhaps that is one way around it.

Alex

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 06:49:16 AM »
I just bought a SUB-MOA a few weeks ago. I put a Ziess Conquest 4.5-14x50 scope on it and I love it!! This is my new favorite rifle. Since I sighted it in every single shot is dead accurate. I took it hunting on Thanksgiving morning and shot a 7-point buck free-hand at 100 yards. The only thing I have to say is that Im starting to wish I would have gotten a smaller calibler... the .300 wby mag. is kind of a meat grinder on whitetail, but I look forward to see how it performs with Elk.

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 09:02:37 PM »
Hey guys thanks. My wife saw this thread and bought me a new Rifle. Its a Weatherby Vanguard in one of my favorite calibers .300 WBY Magnum. She saw it in the Wal-Mart in Milledgeville for $390.00 and got it for me. Let me tell you I think she likes me.
Will hunt for food!

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 04:02:04 PM »
 :(Thanks for all the responses I took my rifle to a gun smith to get checked over he adjusted the trigger he also test fired it it would shoot a 3/4 in 3 shot group at 100 yards the scater them out up to 14inches dep on shells i could not get it to shoot and had to sell it and buy a new rifle. I was going to send it back to the factory but was told by the gun smith good luck i spent 150 busks with him and could not justify a new barrel on a new gun and it was huntig season. thanks and good luck in the weatherby world.

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 06:38:12 PM »
I have a Vanguard Sub MOA in .257 wby mag. Great gun out of the box, but made MUCH better with a $125 Timney trigger. The timeny was very easy to install...total of 3 screws. I did have to cut some of the stock back to make room for the 3 position safety, but this was really no big deal and is not seen when the rifle is reassembled. With this new trigger my vanguard shoots better then my MK 5.