Spike Camp

reloading for an old 300

reloading for an old 300
« on: August 28, 2009, 07:53:32 AM »
 i was hopeing i could get some answers more specific to my gun. its a old weatherby in .300 weatherby mag from 1954 with an FN action. i got it with a busted stock back in december(it has been sitting broken in a box since 1986) and have yet to shoot it (its at my gunsmith haveing the inletting done and glass bedding on the new stock). i would like to use Barnes bullets as i was primarilly a muzzle loader before this rifle and have had extremly good luck with the .290TMZ's. the rifle i believe has a slower 1-12 twist and i have not decided to work up loads with the 168 grain or 180's. i had read a couple places that this twist will not stabbleize bullets under 180 grains, is this true?it will be used strictly for whitetail and maybe black bear for now, with a rare 300 yard shot at the max. most shots from my stand will be under 150. i already have the primers and powder(cci 250's and H4831sc). any input and thoughts on all this rambling is appreciated.

thanks,
Nyles

257 Shooter

• 257 Shooter
    • View Profile
Re: reloading for an old 300
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 08:13:13 AM »
Nyles,

You shouldn't have problems with the bullets you mention using a 1 in 12 twist. As a rule, you need a faster twist as you shoot heavier bullets in a given caliber. If you try 200 and heavier bullets you could begin to have accuracy issues.

Good shooting,

Paul S.