Spike Camp

New Leupold VX-7 information

ring3578

New Leupold VX-7 information
« on: September 24, 2007, 07:40:34 PM »
Does anyone have a product review of Leupold's new VX-7 scopes?  I am interested in a VX-7L 4.5x18x56 long range with the fine duplex.

RGJ

Re: New Leupold VX-7 information
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 09:46:07 AM »
Now that is a good question. I'm looking at the VX-7 as well as the Leupold VX-L with the 56mm objective to use on my .300 Mark V.

RGJ

RGJ

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 07:58:32 AM »
NRA's America Rifleman, (October 2007 issue) has a nice article on the Leupold VX-7. It also has reports on two other scopes, (Swarovski's Z6 1.7-10X 42mm, Nikon's Monarch 4-16X 42mm SF). All three range/field tested quite well with the Swarovski getting a glowing review at least IMHO. For the price the Nikon did very well. The reviewer liked the Leupold VX-7 too but nothing really jumped off the page at me to showcase it's qualities.

RGJ

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 08:57:16 AM »
I haven't looked at the VX7 as yet, but I have looked through a ton of scopes over the past year or two, in as varying conditions as I could arrange.  I can honestly say that I can see a fair difference between what I consider a 'minimum spec scope' that I would place on a rifle, and a truly excellent scope (that I would like to have on my Weatherbys).  I find scopes in the class of the Bushnell Elite 3200/Nikon Buckmaster series are just about the lowest end scopes I am comfortable looking through.  I have a couple of the 3200's and they are bright and clear, with plenty of optical clarity for shooting well before and after legal shooting hours in most of the areas I hunt.  Now, a step up from these are the Monarch/4200/VXIII scopes, which are all bright and clear, with a moderate, but noticeable improvement in optical quality, for a fairly significant increase in price.  Now, one additional slight step up in price to the Zeiss Conquest series nets another noticeable improvement in optical clarity and brightness.  To be sure, the 3-9x40 Conquest is not even a step up in price, but is still the brightest of the group.  Now, going above the Conquest series the law of diminishing returns kicks in pretty hard, and to my eyes the $1500 scope is not $800-1000 better than the $500-700 Conquest.  I find it hard to justify spending what some of my friends have on scopes for the level of "return" on my investment.  I find both at the range and in the field my equipment exceeds the needs of the hunt, and keeps up with or exceeds the equipment of those who have spent well more than me on optics.  I could afford to buy some of the Euro scopes, but I just cannot find the justification to spend more than the Conquest series costs, as the return just isn't there.  I suspect the VX7 falls in the same category influenced heavily by the law of diminishing returns.  Your mileage may vary.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie