Spike Camp

Discuss the Weatherby Vanguard® SUB-MOA Stainless

Discuss the Weatherby Vanguard® SUB-MOA Stainless
« on: July 27, 2007, 12:29:26 PM »
The guaranteed accuracy of the SUB-MOA is also available in our popular stainless model. Eliminates game-spooking glare and provides an extra measure of protection from the effects of rain or snow.

brett

Re: Discuss the Weatherby Vanguard® SUB-MOA Stainless
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 07:32:41 AM »
I have had my 257 mag for a couple months now. I absolutely love it. I am getting 5/8 groups with factory 110 accubond ammo. I reloaded 85 grain ballistic tips with rl-22 and get 1/2 groups with these. These are the best groups I've ever shot with any rifle. (I'm just a backwoods deer hunter ;D) topped mine with a leupold vx-III 4.5x14x40ao. If I had to pick at anything with this rifle it would be the trigger. I was able to adjust it though. I can't wait to use it on deer this Nov. I can't remember being this excited to use a new rifle in years. ;)

Maylor

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 07:37:30 PM »
just got my 257van top with burris black dimmond 4x16x50. im in the same boat. cant wait to give it a go. i have read a lot of good things about this cal  i will put it to the test.

Brian

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 10:11:34 PM »
I have one in .338 win mag.  With Federal 180 grain ballistic tips or Federal 225 grain Acubonds, this rifle is a true sub moa gun.  Cant wait to snipe some deer later this week!!!

Stacy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 10:50:14 PM »
I just ordered one in 338 Win Mag with the Accubrake.  How are the triggers on your rifles?  Did you have to get em adjusted or where they great right outta the box?  Have any of you pulled the barreled action out of the stock to see how the bedding looks? According to the Weatherby catalog/website, these stocks are pillar bedded vs the Varmint model and Mark V which have the aluminum bedding block.  The two things that concern me about these rifles are the pillar bedded stock and non-free floated barrel.  All my other rifles have been fully glass bedded so the action and recoil lug are solidly held in place while the barrels are free-floated.  Aren't the Mark V barrels also free-floated?         

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 01:43:53 PM »
Not all the Mark V's are free floated.  I think just the Accumark is free floated, but some of the other models may be.  I am pretty sure the ULW has a pressure point, and I know the synthetics come that way.  I will be replacing my synthetic stock with a B&C Medalist as soon as I can get around to it, and I am trying to determine whether or not to have a pressure point in the stock to match what I have now.  I think I will get the Accumark style with the free float, and just bed in a pressure point if the gun doesn't shoot well.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

Stacy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 08:35:35 PM »
Dubyam,
I'm with ya. I'm not a gunsmith but I've bedded a number of bolt action rifles of various manufacture.  I first glass bed the tang, action, recoil lug area, and first two inches of the barrel. At this point I leave the barrel free floated and test fire it.  If it shoots well, I don't do anything else.  Thus far, I've haven't had one not shoot well at that point but if one didn't, I too would put in a pressure point and fire it.  If it still didn't shoot well, then I would fully bed the barrel and fire it to see what happens.  If that didn't fix it, I'd either go with whichever of the three methods shot the most accurately or I'd take it to a gunsmith and talk about other options like a new barrel and/or blueprinting the action.  FYI, my Remington Model 700 has a pressure point too.  Any idea how the triggers are on these Sub MOAs?  Are they the same as the standard Vanguards?             

pmeyer01

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 10:25:49 AM »
I got a dud. My Sub-MOA was shooting 6" groups out of the box.
I'm very dissapointed and will be contacting Weatherby soon.
The rifle barrel was forced into a banana shaped stock which caused horrible inconsistancies in shooting.  After taking the stock off to do some shaving work to free-float the barrel, it was discovered that the rifle was not pillar bedded. No pillars in the stock at all (like advertised), and there was a nylon shim between the action and the stock that was probably due to the stock being machined wrong. The barrel was completed seated into the bottom of the stock and the nylon washer was used to take up a gap so that the stock's mounting screw could actually be tighted.
After free floating the barrel it only shot about 3" groups.  So I had the barrel borescoped and the lateral maching marks in the barrel are horrible.  Not what I expected from a hand picked Weatherby.
The rifle is very pretty, and the accubrake and Pachmayr Recoil pad make shooting the 300 Mag very pleasant as compaired to my Mark V 300 Mag.
I'll let everyone know what Weatherby tells me about the Sub-MOA.

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 12:09:01 PM »
My money says Weatherby will take care of this post-haste.  Give them a call, and I bet you have a new rifle before Christmas!
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

Stacy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 08:33:41 AM »
Pmeyer01,
Thanks for the reply.  I'll be waiting to see what happens.  No pillars inthe stock huh? I expected aluminum pillars, I'll have to pull my barreled action out of the stock once it arrives and to see how its set up.   

Hogslayer77

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 07:03:43 PM »
SO...What happened in the case of the 6MOA Weatherby Vanguard??

Just curious.

Green Knight

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 10:19:45 PM »
I purchased a Vanguard Sub-Moa in stainless in .243 win caliber. After breaking in the Barrel Correctly, Taking my time and shooting slow, this rifle does shoot sub-moa.
I don't understand someone who, has a problem with his weapon not to call the warranty station and taking the rifle in ASAP. Weatherby has one of the best service reputations in the Rifle industry. Maybe I trust my gunsmith a little to much, but after running 100 rounds thru the rifle, I took it into Bolsa Gunsmith, in Westminster and had them adjust the trigger and make sure the lugs where O.K.
This rifle is just what the doctor ordered.
Smooth trigger and shoots SUB-MOA all day long.
I really enjoy the cross talk here, keep those cards and letter coming.
G.K.

Hogslayer77

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2008, 05:04:37 PM »
Just got mine in. After I set up the scope (either a Trijicon accupoint or Leupold VX-111), I'll be headed to the range to see what this baby can do!

BTW, does anyone know of a LONG distance rifle range anywhere...i.e. 1000+ yard with metal silhouettes?

Thanks in advance

rjkrumb

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2008, 08:21:45 PM »
My vanguard varmit special in .308 will shoot better groups (1/2 in) than my Mark V accumark wint an accubrake in 7mm wby. mag. ( 1 in.), I do my own reloading.  The vanguard is not a SUB-MOA gun.  Really happy with both guns.

RKPulliam

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2008, 12:39:09 AM »
I have two sub-MOA stainless Vanguards.  One is in 300 Weatheby Mag, the other riifle n  270 WSM  First thing I did on both was to order a stainless nickel-plated Timney trigger for each.  Triggers were about $120 each.   Gunsmith charged $65 to install.   I seem to have the same gunsmith as Green Knight -- Bolsa Gunsmithing in Westminster CA -- He's right they are very good.
Both guns shoot extremely tight groups -- always a cloverleaf.  I don't know how it shot before the Timney triggers --- I just knew it would be a question mark at some point, so had them installed on Day 1.  Excellent triggers.  These rifles are the best value out there.  I just wish they would make one in .340 Weatherby!!!   Rich