Spike Camp

Colt Python

Magnum 7mm

Colt Python
« on: September 30, 2007, 03:37:02 PM »
It's clear everyone on this board enjoys owning and shooting fine rifles.  In my opinion, the finest double action revolver of all time is the Colt Python.  I own three of these.  A 6" Blue, 4" Bright stainless and a 4" Nickel (safe Queen).  Do any of you fellow Weatherby enthusiast own the Colt Python?  How do you like it?

BigBlue

Re: Colt Python
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 07:08:06 PM »
I owned a Colt Python many years ago. It was a 6" in Colt Royal Blue. One of the finast DA triggers and most beautiful blued finish I've ever had the pleasure if shooting. If I had to vote, it would win hands down as the gun that I most regret having sold. We all make mistakes, selling that gun is one of mine.
Don

oldone

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 03:50:00 PM »
I own one right now, the best .38/.357 I have ever had. I've owned it for 15yrs and I will never get rid of it. I'm trying to find Lazer Grips right now, make it easier for my wife. Now, when she shoots it she's dead on with the first shot but all over the place from then on. Perhaps a lazer grip would help her. Got a lot of speed loaders for it as well.

Twud

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 02:53:11 AM »
I bought a 6" stainless model when they first came out. The extra weight really helps tame the recoil. I've killed 2 deer with it and hope I never have to sell it.

PsyopsE6

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 12:30:41 PM »
I help out at Ed's Gunshop in Vass, NC and recently a 4" Python came in that someone had sprayed some type of black teflon finish on.  It sat in the case for nearly a month and I finally purchased it and immediately sent it off to Ford's Custom Finish for a master reblue, have not received it back yet but also have purchased some faux ivory grips and a El Paso Leather Tom ThreePerson holster.  I plan to carry it on a limited basis.  It was a shame what some people do to fine firearms.

WalkswithWind

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 02:54:42 PM »
Never had a python, but have shot one on several occasions. Sure was sweet. I do own a 4" trooper, and its a good gun. On a day to day I carry a 3 1/6" S&W 65-5. Love her .

Keep Your Powder Dry

mike257

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 03:16:15 PM »
I have a 6" python that was purchased in the late 60's by my father.  It was passed on to me when he died and has only been shot about 75-100 times.  What I have shot of it, I love it and have often thought of trying it out on whitetail.

Twud

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 10:37:01 PM »
I have a stainless 6" that I love to shoot. For fun I use 38 wad cutters and dance tin cans and plastic milk bottles. I've taken 2 deer with it on a part of our lease that is really thick. Using 154 grain JHPs loaded very warm it dropped both of them with well placed 25 yard shots.

Magnum 7mm

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 01:12:24 PM »
I just added a 2.5" Blue to my collection. I'm not real good with the digital camera yet, so this photo will have to do.

albie1

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 09:48:58 PM »
I carried a Python for awhile years ago when I guarded money.I eventually switched to S&W,.We had to spend alot of time at the range,and I personally shot the Smith better.The Colt was and is a fine weapon,and I'd be proud to carry one today..

WbyMagFan

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 10:53:23 PM »
Use to own 2 Colt Pythons, both 6" barrels, Nickel, and a Stainless.
Got Really tired of shooting revolvers, besides, I'm a Colt 1911 .45 FAN.
Don't miss those Pythons at all.......lol

hunter dude

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 02:07:06 PM »
my wife bought me a taurus tracker D.A. revolver in 44 mag it has a ported 4'' barrel great back up gun that colt python sounds like a winner

JGant

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 07:39:37 PM »
I have a 6" Stainless Elite Python which resides in my gun safe.  The 4" blue Python is the one I use.
The Python is undoubtably the finest .357 revolver ever made.  The prices indicate that.
Take Care

MarkA

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 07:11:19 PM »
I love the Python.  Unfortunately, I sold my blued 4" to help fund some new projects.

I did keep my limited run Colt Grizzly 6" stainless.  The Grizzly was a limited run about late 1994 or 1995 for the distributor Western Hogee.  There were supposed to be 1,000 made, but many reports suggest that the run may have ended after the first 500.  The Grizzly has what appears to be a Mag-Na-Ported Python barrel mated to a King Cobra frame and also has an unfluted cylinder and a unique "Grizzly" roll-mark on the left side of the barrel.  Here's a pic...

MarkA
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 07:15:28 PM by MarkA »

M.Marshall

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 08:22:42 PM »
Growing up, I dreamed about owning a Python.  About eight years ago, I found this 6" Royal Blue.  The Python is a pleasure to shoot and is the smoothest DA revolver I think that was ever made...