Spike Camp

Discuss the Weatherby Vanguard® SUB-MOA Varmint

dubyam

• View Profile
Re: Discuss the Weatherby Vanguard® SUB-MOA Varmint
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2009, 03:46:14 PM »
I've been told anywhere from 55-65in-lbs.  I'd start at about 40in-lbs, and work up from there if things still get loose or you can tell the action is moving in the stock upon inspection.  Also, I'd torque in at least two steps (first at something like 30-35in-lbs, then at max torque).  Weatherby recommended to me that these aluminum bedded stocks be installed by torquing the rear screw first, then the front screw.  I'd tighten them in that order, and in the two stages I mentioned above - rear then front at 30lbs, rear then front at 40in-lbs, or whatever final torque setting you're using.  Things will tighten evenly and you'll get the most consistent bed-up doing it that way.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

patroldog

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2009, 05:48:47 PM »
Many thanks for your advice dubyam. I just think it reckless that this recommendation has been omitted from the manual that I received with my Weatherby Vanguard Sub-Moa Varmint in .223R. In fact the manual does not even include any mention about the Bell&Carlson stock! So far I have found it to be as accurate as I can shoot and with 40gn NBT from Federal V-Shok I have taken rabbits as far as 272 yards. However, I have noticed that the POI keeps shifting to the left after so many shots. So maybe this is related to not being torqued down any more than hand tight with a screw driver.
Regards
Charles

tomas17

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 05:26:36 PM »
Hi everyone. Im from Argentina, and just bought me one in .223
Havent tried it yet. Since im still on the look for a good scope and bases to go along.
It looks great though.
Hope to try it this week.

james7mmwby

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 09:17:05 PM »
Welcome to the Nation Tomas.
Let us know how she shoots.

James

Ozfoxr

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 12:02:10 PM »
I went for the Vanguard SubMOA in .204 Ruger because my son has one in .223 and is getting excellent accuracy from his. I have to run one more shot through mine to complete the breaking-in process.

I wanted to hunt with mine on my first trip out because I don't get a lot of opportunities to shoot. I was hoping against hope the rifle would shoot fine early on after both collimation and careful boresighting of the well worked Leupold 4-12x50 I fitted from my previous .243. Couldn't have been happier and more impressed, sighting in as I broke her in. Got to knock off 4 foxes in two nights after getting close to completing the break-in process on paper. Against advice of my gunshop and opinion on Spike Camp, I chose to use Federal Premium ammo for break-in (32 & 39 grainers),  just in case the rifle shot real well straight off. No problems there.

Unlike previous posters I found the trigger creep-free and crisp, and though I didn't check weight, I'd say around the 3 pound mark, which suits me fine for field work.

I noticed that as the break-in continued, patches passed through the bore more and more smoothly confirming the advantage of sticking to the process.

Another opportunity afield coming up in a couple weekends time. I'm champing at the bit! I'll fire that last shot in the afternoon, clean it up..then watch out foxes!

crossbowme

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2011, 07:16:56 AM »
I have had my .204 for a year or two. It is the finest shooting rifle I have ever used or owned ( and that includes 27 years in the Army).  It truly shoots .5 MOA and is as reliable as it comes. I wasn't happy with the trigger and put in a Timney. That was worth every penny!

The only negative I have found is the .204 is susceptible to crosswinds. This is often hard to compensate for in gusting conditions. I have often thought about buying one in .308 to try and get some distant shooting in.