Spike Camp

Discuss the Weatherby Vanguard® Synthetic

wyldgene

Re: Discuss the Weatherby Vanguard® Synthetic
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2009, 10:10:55 AM »
...I actually found this forum looking for a replacement trigger for my Vanguard .25-06, & was told to send it in, & Weatherby would fix it, so I figured I would give 'em a chance, before I replaced the trigger...

...Bummer, these are just my opinions, so take 'em w/ a grain of salt...

...Jewell triggers are great, I have one on my match .223, & the bolt on my .223 opens w/ the safety on, both being very good things on a bench rifle. On a hunting rifle, you probably won't be able to take advantage of a Jewell trigger, a Timney or Rifle Basix drop-in would probably suit you just as well, @ a lot lower cost, if you are going to be carrying it, I'd stick w/ the 1.5-3# model & if you are uncomfortable taking the safety "Off" to load or unload, I believe the Timney is still available in a model that allows you to depress the safety, & operate the bolt. Remington (& others) changed their safeties to allow operating the bolt in the "Safe" position for one reason, "Litigation", not because it was safer, more convienent, or better. Generations (me included) managed to use rifles w/ a bolt locking safety w/ no accidental discharges, just by following basic firearms safety. On a hunting rifle, a bolt that doesn't lock down is a real problem...

bigboy76

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2009, 04:40:46 AM »
what load is the most accurate for long range shots on deer

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2009, 10:18:46 AM »
That will depend on what caliber, and beyond that will be specific to the individual rifle.  You'll have to try several to find one that works best for your purposes.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

hunter dude

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2009, 08:23:23 PM »
i like the package but don't like the scope. it would be cool if weatherby made a package with a leaupold scope ;)

evans wood

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2009, 06:40:53 PM »
the vanguard is the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

very accurate and reliable

lonestardeadhead

« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2009, 06:39:53 PM »
Just bought my Vangard in 7mm Rem/ Mag haven't been to the range yet put a centerpoint 4-16 42mm scope on it . I got it at walmart for 350 as a close out. scope for 70 dollars. Can,t wait to get to the range. Until then just like looking at it.  Randy Faulkinbury 55 years young  Texarkana, Texas. Anyone out there from this area give me a shout out we'll go hunting sometime or just shooting at the range. Good Shooting and God Bless America also God help America we're gonna need it in the next 20 years if we have that long. Vigilance is the key to freedom and one more thing God Bless Texas.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 07:04:39 PM by lonestardeadhead »

audredger

« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2009, 06:58:23 PM »
Hey quys & Gals too,
Check the bedding on your synthetic..... the "bedding", looks like hot melt glue, on the recoil lug area of my 300WSM Submoa came loose. The factroy didn't clean the paint off the stock before bedding. Paint let go and the action started to move.... no wonder the groups opend up. Did a proper bedding job and now shoots better than ever.

Can't wait for my new laminated stock to arrive.... I need a 16" pull and the factory stock with a 2 1/2" spacer looks like rat stuff!

chainlink

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2009, 07:39:28 PM »
got my .308 vanguard yesterday didn't shoot it yet, hope it is as accurate as they claim it is.

rambilt

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2010, 05:38:54 AM »
Has anyone tried replacing the stock of your Vanguards?  Is there such a thing as 100 percent drop in?  Just curious..  Thanks.

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2010, 03:26:04 PM »
Are you looking for wood or synthetic?  Synthetics are readily available from Bell&Carlson.  Wood is available from Weatherby, or via online auction sites, or occasionally from other stock suppliers.  If you're not dead set on the Weatherby design, you can get a straight comb stock in wood or laminate from Boyds or Stocky's.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

rambilt

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2010, 04:18:51 PM »
I'm thinking wood...  Thanks dubyam...

alex branham

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2010, 09:32:54 PM »
the vanguard is a very good gun. but ammo is high. i got mine for deer hunting. i got a bsa scope (some of there scopes are bad quality). mine does not let in enough light but the gun it self does good. perfect for any shooter

Andy K 12

« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2010, 09:32:29 PM »
There are plenty of terrific hunting rifles out there, and there are too many people to choose their favorites and just bash the rest.  The fact is that a hunting rifle can be a work of art that you invest thousands of dollars into for the sake of aesthetic pleasure (plus it holds its value).  But for most of us, it's a tool, and we appreciate quality and value.  You cannot beat the Vanguard Synthetic for both.  There are others that come close, but for price, accuracy, reliability, ruggedness, and feel/balance, it just can't be beat.  I recommend the Nikon ProStaff scopes for the same reasons. 

If you want a shotgun for the same reasons, then buy the PA-08.  It's a dream gun for an insanely low price.  I got mine on sale (with a coupon to boot) for 290. It's so solid, lightweight, and the wood is so nice.  Check it out.

I love these guns!

seattlejohn

« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2010, 10:51:54 PM »
I got a Weatherby Vanguard as a raffle win at a local SCI Chapter meeting. I had to go to a local retailer to pick out the rifle. The only available calibers were .257 Weatherby Magnum and .22-250.  I have a number of varmit guns, so I took the .257.  At the range, it is accurate enough. The recoil is very unpleasant though. As a measure of me as a shooter, I'm very comfortable with the .30-06 recoil.  Also, the cost of ammo is extreme. Typically $70.00 for a box of ammo is enough to bust my budget...or get me to buy reloading dies.  Sorry to be negative. I want to like this rifle, I really do. It has a 3-9 variable Leupold scope on it.  :-[

« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2010, 09:41:37 AM »
John:Depending on which source you use, the 257 and 30-06 recoil should be pretty close depending on gun weight etc.Reloading is the only way to go with the magnums if you do much shooting.You can always get a muzzle brake installed and that will help a lot.
Roger
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.