Spike Camp

Discuss the Weatherby Vanguard® Synthetic

Discuss the Weatherby Vanguard® Synthetic
« on: July 27, 2007, 12:31:22 PM »
This is perhaps the best rifle value on the market today. The Vanguard® Synthetic will outperform rifles costing hundreds more and is guaranteed accurate.

tresjoli123

Weatherby Vanguard® Synthetic 22-250
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 04:26:29 AM »
Since my brother and I started harassing woodchucks on our CT farm back in the 1970"s we always wanted a 22-250.  That 22 mag we got from Elliot's gun shop did the trick out to 50 yards but a few too many varmints got away beyond that mark.  A few years having passed (like 35) I joined the VHA and was very impressed with my Weatherby Vanguard in 30-06 so I ordered the 22-250.  Skip's in NH put on an Accubrake and I got a 6-24x BSA scope from SWFA and low and behold I have a gun that performs as well as some Varmint rifles costing much more.  Many thanks to Weatherby for bringing back my teenage varmint hunting days with a reliable and economical gun that shoots in the Weatherby tradition. :)

John

• View Profile
Re: Discuss the Weatherby Vanguard® Synthetic
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 10:19:25 AM »
I was fortunate enough to have actually won my 300wby Vanguard Synthetic at a local "Gun Bash" about two years ago. Even though this is not a caliber I would have chosen for myself for western PA white tails or even black bear, it has grown on me.

Now, I've heard many people refer to the synthetic stocks on these guns as "Tupperware", but in my opinion, this somewhat flexable stock with its huge recoil pad makes shooting this magnum round actually fun to shoot at the range!!! ;D ;D ;D

Really, my only complaint about the gun is that it would be nice to have a crisper trigger. I have been told that a competent gunsmith can adjust the creep out of it, but I don't believe that you should have to pay a gunsmith to repair something that just came out of the box!!!

The High Tech Redneck

trapper300

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 05:30:44 AM »
The Vanguard is the most value on the market ive got a .300 WBY Mag in the Vanguard & I wouldn't trade it for no othrt other rifle made I chose the Weatherby over Savage,Ruger ,Browning, Remington, Sako,Winchester Marlin. They are just AWESOME

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 10:10:29 PM »
I just bought my third vanguard in 257 roy.
I wanted to get it in Sub-Moa but they only had 270wsm in the subbies so I went with a synthetic.
My question is. On the factory target there are three shots. 1 is approxiamately .5 inches away from the other two which are in the same bullet hole.
Do you folks oil the barrels before you shoot during the test shots? This would explain the one shot and then the subsequent bullet into bullet on the target.

Another weird thing. This gun had the sweetest trigger out of any of the weatherby's for sale(20)
3lbs and no creep.
Is that just an individual thing.

Sincerely,
Thomas ???
Sincerely,

Thomas

samsdad

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 06:15:36 AM »
I bought this rifle prior to a Colorado Elk hunt.  This is a great rifle for a great price.  I was successful in harvesting my first elk with this rifle.  I went on to take several nice Whitetail deer that same season.

echsrassler1

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 12:44:49 PM »
one year ago i purchased my first rifle. following in the path of my father i chose a  Weatherby Vanguard Synthetic 30-06. this rifle performs great in the field and even with a cheap Bushnell 2-7 power scope on it i am able to make great shots at long distances. 3 days ago i harvested my second deer a 120lb doe on the last day of North Carolina Either Sex season in my county. i took a 320 yard shot at this deer with my Weatherby 30-06 and i was able to nail that doe with no problems at such a long range. i couldnt be more impressed or satisfied with my Weatherby Vanguard and i dont think i will ever be able to purchase a rifle with which i would be more satisfied. unless of course it were another Weatherby Vanguard!

Gary Chandler

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 05:11:24 PM »
The Vanguard has to rate as one of the very best buys in firearms in the last 50 years or so. I love mine and it is rapidly becoming my very favorite rifle.   Gary

Der Verge

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 04:18:13 PM »
I just purchased my Vangaurd synthetic.  I chose the 7 Rem. Mag.   I could not be more delighted with the fit and finish of all the metal parts.  The synthetic stock is ugly, but IMHO, all synthetics are.  To give credit where it is due, the stock is tight fitting, comfortable, and one of the best from the factory synthetics from any company. 
The action on this rifle is like silk, and so is the trigger.  I have not weighed it, but I know it is less than 3.5lbs, and no creep. 
Lastly, from the factory shot target, a 3 shot group of 1.019".  Sub moa out of the box.  For $450?  I cannot wait to get one in .22-250!  ;)

Wayawatsi

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 05:19:05 PM »
I bought My Vanguard Synthetic in 30-06 about a year ago after getting my disability settled,was one of the best days ever. For most of my 37 years I've wanted a eatherby ( I guess since I saw the "Duke" hunting with one!) 8) Anyway I have enjoyed shooting at the local range an consistently but sub 1" groups together at 100 yds, right at 1" at 200 and some 300 yd to 500 yd shots together that made guys with mega buck guns even customs, jealous!  ;D I've mated a Barska 6.5 -20 x 50mm AO scope to her and a SIMs resonator. The trigger pull is exactly the way I like, 3# and no creeping.  ;D  I took serval deer this year but none over 120 yds, thats NE Texas for ya. I am taking her on my first Elk hunt this fall, another dream come true. Thanks Mr. ED Weatherby, for giving quality at the right price to the economicaly challanged!  :D ;)  My next rifle (a Weatherby, duh!) is gonna be either a 243 or 22-250!

pbrktrt

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 07:23:25 PM »
i bought mine used ( 12 rounds through it). got rid of the Tasco & put a vx-II 3x9x50 on it. didn't like the stock or trigger so a Hogue om & Timney were next. now i have a 270 win that fits me & shoots sub-moa with just about anything it eats. this is a fine rifle in it's basic form & like others have said, the best buy out there. i just like to make my rifles the best they can be. the bolt,action,&barrel leave nothing to be desired. thanks, Ed for a fine product with good aftermarket support.

mjbgalt

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 04:17:15 AM »
I bought a Vanguard synthetic in .243 yesterday. The target shows a half-inch group. I will post a range report when I get it sighted in and let you know how it does.

-Matt

JBond

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 02:19:28 PM »
Own two Vanguard Synthetic rifles, one in .270 Win and the other in .30-06 Spr.   The Vanguard is the buy there is for the money.  Both shoot tremendously.  I love both of them.

JBond

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2008, 01:35:16 PM »
My Vanguard Synthetic in .270 Win is new.  I went through a long process to make sure the barrel was broken in properly.  It shot well before the barrel was broken in, but after it was broken in, I shot a five shot group with each shot touching about the size of a nickel.  I have a .270 Win Remington 770 which is a dog.  It shoots okay, but the action is clunky and the magazine looks so cheap.  The .270 Win is one of my favorite calibers.  The 770 can't touch the Vanguard.

vangaurd270wsm

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 10:36:16 PM »
got my vangaurd 270 wsm just befor the deer rifle opener, never got it out but a few months later i got it to the range, was shooting 1' with the cheapest federal ammo i could find, was shooting under 1' at 200 with winchester supremes, most accurate rifle i have ever owned and thats saying i own a ruger m77 international and a bsa police rifle. i am realy happy with this gun but the price of ammo is killing me and it seems to walk up to 10 inches when the barrel is hot