Spike Camp

Will be gone wed to the following thur elk hunting

zonie

Will be gone wed to the following thur elk hunting
« on: November 23, 2009, 02:33:28 PM »
Out scouting yesterday and today fixing the battery hold down and radiator recovery tank that broke loose when It got a little rough trying to get around some downed trees.  At least I didn't throw the battery into the fan.  New/used 95 Bronco that I am working out the little bugs. 

Friend was out yesterday in a different unit late archery bull hunting with another guy and found several bulls that looked all worn out with broke antlers. The one they wanted just wouldn't get in range.

Very icy on a stretch of hillside road  in the shade I need to get up, and couldn't.  Tried 2 different times in 2 different 4x4's and no go.  Pretty steep and if you go off it's not a good day.  I will try going in from a different way on the back side where some larger bulls have been spotted by a friend before it snowed.   Elevation 9K in that spot. Temps in the morning around 10 to 15 warming to the 50's

Was down to my taxidermist friend while getting X-mas tree permits and told me of a 49 " mule deer spread shot in unit 10 AZ.  He has picture on computer and will be e-mailing and I will try and post a picture if I can figure it out.  Before anyone flips out the deer's antlers are growing sideways and will not be a book deer.  I guess it's a real freak.  Must be something in the water over there because a good friend of mine's wife shot an antelope in the same area that went 18 and some change on both sides that grew out to the sides as well.  We call him the helicopter. 

If I don't here from any of you guy's before wednesday you all have a very nice thanksgiving.  We will be having ours in camp.  Ron

james7mmwby

Re: Will be gone wed to the following thur elk hunting
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 04:26:28 PM »
Ron,

Have a great hunt. Speaking of freaky antlers, on the front page of the local paper an oldtimer shot a 5 point doe! A real anomaly. Good thing the tags say ANTLERED or ANTERLESS deer.
Thanks so much for the all the input on the pistols. They have new springfield XD9, 45 and 357 in stock. the nines are going for 861.00 plus tax. Went to the website they look real nice. This decision is going to take a while. Hopefully I can shoot some different models at the club this week.

James

zonie

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 05:17:34 PM »
James :  I really like the XD's. Super simple, and I really like the full case head support for plus P loadings.  I can get most standard variations down here for around 500.  They do make a newer XD M with a lot of goodies all ready installed, but I havent shot one yet.  The XD in 357 sig is a real burner if you want to step up from the 9mm.  The one thing about XD's are they are sighted for Bullseye and  not Point of aim.  Another thing you may want to invest in is a set of Dawson adjustable sits if you decide to go the XD route.  The new  smith and wesson M & P is not a bad way to go either and has the option of interchangable backstraps for different sized hands.  Do you have magazine capacity restrictions ?  Like you said take your time a don't get something you are going to not use or be unhappy with.  What type of shooting are you going to be doing ?  What caliber are you looking at ? 

hunter dude

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 06:43:53 PM »
sounds like fun be safe and god bless

james7mmwby

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 06:49:32 PM »
Ron,

We have a 10 shot mag. restriction up here for pistols. I think I will stick with 9mm to keep my reloading costs down, I am already tooled up for that. When I make the leap to a revolver I will have to spend some on reloading. To start with I will be just straight target shooting and in the spring when the days get longer I want to get certified for combat shoot, I can't remember the exact term they use. Like you I have small hands so I think a double stack may be a little fat for me. What is the difference between point of aim and bullseye?

James.

zonie

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 10:30:35 PM »
James :  A bullseye sighting method is taking a regulation bullseye target and sitting the whole round black target on top of the front sight.  Point of aim sighting is holding the front sight in exactly where you want to hit, in other words if I'm using a bulleye target I would split the target and hold on the x ring.  I much prefer POA sighting for my type of shooting.  Just depends on what your shooting game is.  I'm sure your club has some type of action, IPSC,  bowling pin or steel plate (popper) shooting.  In any case these are speed/timed shoots and can be very humbling, you can't miss fast enough.  Slow is good when learning, and smooth is fast.  Beware when getting heavy into these competitions it can be addictive and burn a lot of components.  When I was shooting a lot I could engage 4  IPSC targets close range 3 yds double tap on each, 8 shots total in 2.14 seconds, my best time with a highley modified smith & wesson 610  revolver converted to 8 shot 38 super. Wasn't even my gun, I was trying out a grand masters friends gun he wanted me to see how I liked it.   I am not that good,  but that day even a few masters gave me compliments although I did take top tyro, which is best beginner, and only given out once.  That doesn't sound like much, but considering I was shooting with the world champs it was quite an honor.    Ron

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 08:15:08 AM »
Hey Ron, good luck on the hunt!  And stay safe with all that tough terrain and ice.  I can't wait to hear the stories.  Take care and happy Thanksgiving, my friend!
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 05:50:07 PM »
Ron

I wish you and your family the best on thanksgiving. I know you will be hunting on turkey day and i wish you the best of luck in getting the bull you want. Be safe with that ice you are talking of hopefuly will be gone. Good luck to all in your upcoming hunts and be safe.
Derrill
Good Hunting And Shooting To all
Derrill

zonie

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 01:28:00 PM »
Wish I had something to report.  Just got back from the high country today after the morning hunt, seen about 125 cows and one spike.  I wish I had a cow tag now.  Weather got me a little worried today with a small storm front coming in and towing a trailer.  Don't want to end up leaving the trailer.   I finally got up that icy area on top, won't do that again, white knuckled all the way up.  Will be hunting the cedars in the lower parts until thursday.  If it does snow pretty good at least it will drive them down.  Will camp at the house.      Ron

james7mmwby

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 03:37:46 PM »
Sounds like a hunting trip to me ;) At least you'll have a hot shower and comfy bed at your disposal now.
Where do spikeys fit into the tag system down there? Is it a separate tag?
Keep the faith Ron, The end of the week often proves successful for us where moose is concerned.

Good luck,

James.

zonie

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 06:38:58 PM »
James : Spikes are legal.  Just got back from afternoon hunt.  Started snowing will try our hardest until thursday. Come wed or thur and see a spike he's mine.    Ron

zonie

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 08:55:30 AM »
James :  My friend shot a 355 green score 5 x 7, Sunday evening.  40 plus inside with a long left main, and heavy mass,  would probably go in the 370's if not broken two tines on the right side.   17 bulls in one bunch,  he picked the biggest and dumped him with a 270 win.  They are over by Escudilla mtn right now trying to get his daughter a monster today.  They saw 4 different 370 plus bulls running together the other day and got goofed up by other hunters and couldn't get s shot.   I passed on a spike late Sunday morning in a different spot.   I came down with gout in my ankle Sunday evening, and been layed up since.  Popping all my gout pills and swelling starting to do down.   Couldn't even walk on it yesterday.  Hobbling around today so may go out this evening if I can get my boot on.  Another good friend who came up with us to help drag it out  had a herd bull, two satelites, a spike and herd of cows spotted for me on Sunday morning,  but my son and I couldn't get over to him fast enough in the fog.  We glassed until the fog was gone but lost them on a mtn side going to bed down.  No guarantees on this hunt, not feeling very good.   I will try to get my boot on this afternoon and go up high and drive around and see If I can get at least a spike.  I will be on my own until hunt ends on thursday night so If by chance I do get one I will just gut it let it lay, and wait until friends and family get off work in the evening,  bring up the truck,  and go in with flashlights to retrieve.  This has been a very fustrating hunt between the snow/ice,  getting sick, and seeing cows everywhere.  This late hunt is a young persons hunt who can hike the canyons.  No one said elk hunting was easy.   Ron

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 10:16:01 AM »
Ron sorry to hear about you getting gout i know it can be verry painful. I hope it goes away quick so you can get that big bull. :)
Good Hunting And Shooting To all
Derrill

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 11:31:13 AM »
If I could get there, I'd help you carry it out, Ron!  Sorry to hear it's been so tough on you this year.  But, hey, as they say, "A bad day hunting is still better than a good day at work."  Take care and good luck, my friend.  I'll put some prayer up regarding your foot.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

james7mmwby

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 04:12:50 PM »
Ron,

Sorry to hear of your health troubles. We once had to carry our friend Jim out of the bush because of back spasms. We lost the day moose hunting but we always rally around each other when things like this happen. He made it back for the last two days of the hunt. The camaraderie of hunting gangs is something most people will never know. I think soldiers would be the only bond stronger.
Congrats to friend on his bull.

Take care Ron and best of luck.

James.