Spike Camp

Discuss the Weatherby Vanguard® Varmint Special

Discuss the Weatherby Vanguard® Varmint Special
« on: July 27, 2007, 11:33:44 AM »
Our new Varmint Special will catch the eye of the most value-conscious varmint hunting enthusiast.

Re: Discuss the Weatherby Vanguard® Varmint Special
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 06:48:15 AM »
THIS GUN WILL SURPRIZE YA,IT WILL SHOOT,I SHOOT HANDLOADS THROUGH IT,I HAVE GOT SOME .5IN. GROUPS OUT OF IT.PERFECT PREDATOR GUN!
RSSMITH

Re: Discuss the Weatherby Vanguard® Varmint Special
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 06:11:34 PM »
I recently went rifle shopping for a new "deer" rifle and I was sold a Weatherby Vanguard Varmint Special (in .308) at Cabellas.  I don't think they knew what they were selling me because nothing was ever mentioned that I was buying a varmint rifle.  I have some questions regarding this rifle for anyone who may know the answers:

1.  What makes this rifle a "varmint" rifle besides the 2cm shorter barrel?
2.  Why does this gun sell for more then a standard Vanguard Synthetic?  I paid $499 with a MSRP of $579 (in my research).  Does it have more features then the standard synthetic?
3.  Will I be satisfied with the long term performance of this rifle for taking small to medium sized game (coyotes, ferrel hogs, white tail deer, mule deer, antelope, elk and possibly moose)?

The reason I purchased a .308 was for the verstility of the caliber and the availablity of ammunition.  The reason I purchased a Weatherby was due to the great reputation.

Since purchasing this rifle I have sighted it in using Federal 150 grain ammunition with a 3/4" group at 100, 1-1/2" at 200 and 1-1/2" at 300.  I have also killed 1 doe and 1 cull buck each weighing in at just under 90 lbs. undressed (Texas Hill Country Deer are not very large).  Both shots were only 50-70 yards from my blind with each deer running about 40-50 yards through the thick brush before dropping from perfectly placed lung shots (meat saver shots).

I am looking for someone to tell me everything there is to know about this rifle as I am a huge fan of it already just wish I would have known that I was buying a "varmint" rifle... if that matters.

Thanks for your input on my query.

Todd
Hunters are the best environmentalists!