Spike Camp

Any one use .270 Win for Deer Hunting

Mull Hog

Any one use .270 Win for Deer Hunting
« on: January 01, 2010, 09:55:40 AM »
I got a Marlin XL-7 .270 for Christmas. I scoped it yesterday and was amazed at the range. Wirth  three driffrent ammo's the best group @ 100yds were with 140 Noslep Balistic tips, I could cover 3 shots with Penny.The question is how does it perform un Deer? 

fuonlynu

Re: Any one use .270 Win for Deer Hunting
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 10:04:50 AM »
You will love it I used this load along with 130 grainers for years. just dont take any close shots if you can help it if you do make sure it is a lung or neck........................Jim
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 10:38:00 AM by fuonlynu »

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 12:57:30 PM »
Using 140gr Nosler BT's from a 270Win will be near perfect on white-tails.  If you'd like a stronger bullet, try some 140gr Accubonds, but I suspect you'll be fine with the BT's as you won't be running over 3000fps of muzzle velocity from these, and your impact velocities will be well under that at most distances.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

zonie

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 04:00:07 PM »
JD :  The 270 win is one of the finest calibers available otherwise it wouldn't be around for so long.  It's fully capable of taking any North American game with the exception of the great bears and is totally suitable for African plains game including Eland if you place your shot right.  The thing about the 270 is it's extremely flat shooting with the 130's and is one of the top rated deer, antelope calibers.  For elk I prefer a 150 gr for a little more bullet weight and shoot thru.  Match your bullets to the game intended, bullets are not created equal, any of the better controlled expansion types will work on anything you want to shoot with it.     

dls56

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 05:20:22 PM »
I'm new to the .270 Win caliber just this (last year now) year. Purchased a Weatherby Vanuard in it and have taken several deer this season with it only once requiring a follow-up shot (first shot was a little high, knew it when I squeezed it off). I've used Winchester super-x power point in 130 grain to get it done. Plain old soft points seem to expand well and work well on white tail deer. Ammo is easy to find and not an arm and a leg to buy.
As with any caliber, bullet placement is more important than other aspects, it sounds like your new Marlin is capable, congrats on your new rifle and best of luck hunting.

dmerchant9982

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 01:09:36 AM »
Love the 270!  I've shot 5 deer with it during the past two seasons.  All were within 100 - 200 yds and dropped in their tracks with one shot.  I was using just plain old Win 130gr SP's. 

Eagle Rider

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 05:45:29 AM »
I have probably 30 deer on my 270's.  I love the round.  Mild recoil, flat shooting, readily available, bazillions of custom loadings, and aplenty of whallup for just about anything around (except real big bears).  You will not be disappointed.  Believe it or not, some of my best hunting and shooting results for a Ruger 77, a Weatherby Vanguard, and a Remington 7400 (all chambered in 270 Win) have been the green box of Remington 130 PSP Core Lockt.  Its available at just about every Walmart around (probably not in cities though).  I've hit deer from as close in as 40 and far out as 225 yards with that round.  Always pass through and I can't recall ever having to really look for one.  You will love this rifle/caliber. 

zonie

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 08:20:28 AM »
ER :  I have to say I was quite impressed with both the Remington 7400 & 7600  both in 280 rem.  I have an older couple that lives accross the way from us and took them out cow elk hunting about 5 years,  my wife and another friend from NM  had a tags also. The older couple used the Remingtons and after sighting them in I was surprised to say the least with straight factory, easy MOA.  They got there elk,  I honestly wouldn't mind having one or both.   Ron

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 08:44:58 AM »
The "old fashioned Core-Locts" sure do a great job.That is all I shoot in my 338 although I now reload.The factory rounds in 250 grain shoot and work so well.
Roger
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 01:59:08 AM »
The .270 Winchester was Jack Oconnor's favorite caliber and he killed God only knows how many animals with it.  It has been called the beltless magnum and lives up to it in my experiences.  I have one in an old Vanguard VGX and absolutely love it.  It shoots great groups, has mild recoil, and as long as you put the bullet in the right spot it will put the animal down in it's tracks.  I shot numerous white tail deer with mine and never had to go looking for any of them. 

When Winchester was designing this caliber they were using a 130 grain bullet, which I use in mine.  As for reloading for this caliber it is easy to load for and components are numerous and pretty easy to find not to mention they won't break the bank.  Good luck with your new gun.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

NDTerminator

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 03:20:16 PM »
Over the last 35 some odd years, I've killed probably 90% of a pretty good pile of big game with a bolt action of one flavor or another chambered in 270 Winchester.  This has been everything from pronghorns to moose.

I started using a handloaded 130 grain Ballistic Tip as soon as it came out with excellent results on deer & goats.  5 or 6 years ago I switched to the 140 grain Ballistic Tip with even better results.

I lost 100FPS compared to my 130 grain BT load, but the 140 retains it's velocity and bucks the wind better. Up here on the prairie shots can be on the long side & the 140 BT from a 270 is second only to the 257 Weatherby Mag with 110 grain Accubonds for hunting our big Dakota whitetails, mule bucks, and goats...

sseden

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2010, 06:42:36 PM »
One of my favorite calibers. It just does not kick like the big magnums which gives me the confidence in a well placed shot. With correct bullet construction and weight almost everything in North Americas Wilds is game on the table. I am committed to the 270 owning a Vanguard SYN, and a Steyer Prohunter and two 270 WSM's. One of the 270 WSM's is a VANnie, Sub-Moa the other a Browning A-Bolt with the Boss system. All of the above have brakes. I like the Berger Bullets and I reload.

rudy989

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2010, 08:50:17 PM »
i love the 270 winchester have a few have 2- 270wsm and today a 270 weatherby mag synetic ss  so thats about 8 of them 270d and deer carbou  ive taken is great flat shooter an hell of a killer on game can't wait to set this 270 wby up best calibre an i have a few thanks just mine thoughts

340RollTide

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 06:04:59 PM »
There are certain winners out there and the 270Win is one of them, the Alabama Crimson Tide is the other.  Everyone has decisions to make when it comes to choosing a caliber for the rifle they want to purchase.  When that time came for me, something just pulled me to the 270Win.  I purchased a Steyr Prohunter (Forrester Model) and I have never looked back.  For a middle of the road caliber (sub magnum) it is one I have trusted many times.  All of the whitetail deer I have aimed at and pulled the trigger on have been one shot kills.  No deer went more than 10 yards before going down for the count. I was using 130 gr Hornady ammo and it did the job.  Before I took the gun hunting, I went to the range several times.  I must have shot 100 rounds through it. I finally decided on the 130 gr.  I shot a three shot group, 1.5 inches high at 100 yards, that I could cover with a dime, several ragged holes, and called it a day.  The rifle and caliber do their part, because I did mine.  Practice is never a bad thing.  If I am going after something bigger or perhaps dangerous, I simply switch to my 340 WM Accumark and go hunting.  It simple.

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 08:00:09 PM »
Tide:If I remember correctly ,the Tide could not keep Franchione ,much to our dismay at TAMU,I wish you still had him. ;D

Roger
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 08:02:35 PM by terminator »
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.