Spike Camp

need an opinion on best .300 wby bullets for elk

Re: need an opinion on best .300 wby bullets for elk
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2010, 07:43:53 AM »
actually have an uncle that hunts with a 30/30 but never hunted with him to see if it was used in taking game.I have recently got back from shooting hand loads for my 300wby and am fully confident in the rifle thank u guys for the input and confidence boost and eye openr on the 30/30 went to my local gun shop looked at some lever actions and it was love at first site.
"Better an honest death than a life of shame!"

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2010, 04:40:06 PM »
Any 180 to 200 grain HUNTING bullet will do you just fine. It does not have to be a so called premium high dollar bullet. A elchepo 180gr Speer SPZ will get the job done just fine, as will any other HUNTING bullet. Many of us today get so involved in hunting bullet hype that we figure we have to go out and buy a premium Barnes or a premium partition that costs a dollar a bullet and thats if you reload. Well you dont have to boys and girls. The last two bears I killed were with a 200 gr soft nose elchepo Speer. Kilt em just as dead just as quick if I had used a high dollar bullet.  My advise would be to get to the range and learn how to shoot accurate and forget about what type of bullet you are using.
eaglesnester

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2010, 11:18:17 PM »
Maybe a little late on this, Our family has hunted elk since the early 1960s, using wby mark 300 wby mag loading 180 Nosler partitions and 4350 powder. These group good on paper, kill every elk dead as a doornail, My Father used this load and gun, I have used it, now my son is on his 2nd year, same gun, same load. I guess the great thing is there is a ton of bullets out there for 30 cal, I would bet there is so many choices that are equally as good in the old wby.  Dad had two wbys, the family is still filling up the freezer all of these years with these two guns. I would say it may have been the best buy of dads lifetime. What can I say, dad always valued his prized wby guns. we now as a family prize them as family hand downs. 

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2018, 09:24:24 AM »
Live in AZ and I've killed 3 elk just fine with a 180 Ballistic Tip backed by RL22, two cows and 1 bull. The bullet performed perfectly in all cases.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2018, 11:56:20 AM »
Welcome to the Nation DesertDrifter.
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2018, 10:28:00 PM »
My first elk rifle was a .30-06 and it easily killed elk with 150 and 180 grain Hornady and Sierra cup and core bullets.

When I rechambered that rifle to .30 Gibbs, the bullet velocities increased to approximately .300 Win mag velocities, so I switched to 180 grain Nosler Partition bullets which gave better penetration than standard cup and core bullets

I have taken my .300 Weatherby on four international hunts and have killed two bull elk with it using either 168 grain Barnes TSX or TTSX bullets just because they are accurate in my rifle.  My current elk load is with 180 grain TTSX bullets.
NRA Endowment Life Member