Spike Camp

My first handgun

Re: My first handgun
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2010, 01:48:21 PM »
If you have a shooting range near you that rents handguns, try out a couple different brands as well as calibers.   There are huge target grips that may be too big, and small round-butt grips may be too small.   The grip size will make as much or more difference than brand of revolver.    Until you are comfortable with .38 Special loads in your .357, stick with them.   You can start with light target loads and work up to "service" loads in the .38 before jumping to the magnum rounds.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 01:50:13 PM by Calif. Hunter »

Chip

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2010, 02:39:11 PM »
Go with a 44 mag and never look back.  They can be loaded down using 44 spl brass.  Super Redhawk is what I have. I like it but Ruger's have some pretty stiff triggers out of the box.  Might not be a bad idea to start out with a 22 in either double or single action and then get your big gun to match.  I agree with the Tarus being a good quality revolver I have had a Model 431 3 inch 44 spcl for many years. It shoots about as good as any revolver I ever owned. A five shot speed loader is kinda funny lookin though. 

eodbud

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, 08:22:44 AM »
Howdy,

To all Weatherby Nation members please heed my warning.  I am a Lifetime SASS member and have been with this organization since the beginning.  I also do mounted shooting and until recently belonged to a group in New Mexico and California. 

How the meat of this warning.

45 LC SAA old black powder frame revolvers cannot and I repeat cannot handle hot loads.  The back/top strap and cylinders have a tendency to come apart in these areas.  They may handle several rounds and they may not; however, the bottom line is eventually they will fail in these areas first.  I have seen this happen on more than one occasion.

SASS no longer allows hot loads being using during competition.  Factory loads or safe and so are hand loads as long as you do not push things to extremes.  Remember the SAA was never designed for modern powders and the pressures they produce.  Colt is not as robust as Ruger Vaquero's.  If  you want a supercharged SAA go with a Ruger 44 mag.

Lastly, shoot what you can handle safely.  I use a 357 Colt King Cobra, Sig and Colt 45's, along with SAA's in 45LC and 38/357.  My Marlin rifles in 38/357 have a better quick kill ratio than do my 45LC's. 

I absolutely do not like 9MM.  If you want a fast bullet with a better trauma area than the 9MM go with a 22 mag or a SIG 357.  NO LIE.  The 22 mag has a better trauma area then the 9MM.  The 9MM is so fast it shoots through stuff.   You'll have to trust me on this one.  MY data comes from a forensic doctor in Florida that I used to work with, hunt with and train with.

I am very opinionated about calibers and ballistics and I will keep most of that to myself.  I do sincerely want to pass on to you some of my knowledge and I cannot over emphasize the importance of safety first.

Respectfully,

Bud Perryman
USN retired Specops EOD Master Blaster
Bud Perryman

Marishka

• Cancelled bear hunt so I could get this
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2011, 07:21:34 PM »
The .357 is very good. But, if you truly are looking at just one handgun then I suggest the Smith & Wesson 460 Magnum. It shoots that, the 454 Casul and the 45 Colt.

I own one of these magnificent weapons and enjoy shooting it. Mine has the long barrel and is quite heavy. The weight absorbs most of the recoil experienced with the 460 Magnum rounds. But, you need not start with the 460 magnum rounds, you can start with the 45 Colt rounds which are readily available and inexpensive.

Warning. Should you elect to get one of the Smith & Wesson 460 magnum revolvers, make certain that you heed the warnings and hold it properly when shooting it. I understand that some have been injured badly because they ignored the warnings and held it improperly when shooting it.

So, perhaps you might want to read up on this pistol. The range of game it has killed goes up to and includes those among the African top 5.

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2011, 12:03:44 AM »
I agree with zonie and duby, .357 is bare minimum for deer.  I guarentee that if you enjoy shooting the .357, you wil quickly move up to the .44 mag.  Save the grief & money & get the .44.  Ruger Super Redhawk is an excellant choice.  Don't know what kind of press you have, but if you can't reload pistol rounds, maybe you can find someone that can load some light loads to start out with. 

Also, I had my first shot at a deer with my .454 cassul w/out hearing protection, ears rang for a week!
JohnP
"If its too good to be true, it is!"

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2011, 07:22:06 AM »
My dad put a .44 mag in my mule or rhino for protection i really dont know if it can kill a deer but it leaves a bullet whole the size of a baseball in a squirrel, and it kind of has kick but not a lot becuase its pretty heavy.
Weatherby Mark V + animal = Food on your plate

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2011, 07:55:14 AM »
Try a used 9mm. There are all kinds of them around used and you can get ammo for 17 cents/round new. Not my kind of gun but they're all over the place and you can get them used cheap.