Spike Camp

hunting with a compound bow

hunting with a compound bow
« on: February 14, 2010, 12:08:37 PM »
anyone hunt with a compound bow. i do. i have a diamond razor edge. it goes from 30 pounds to 60 pounds. i havent killed any thing with it yet but this coming deer season i am going to try hard to.

dubyam

• View Profile
Re: hunting with a compound bow
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 01:46:38 PM »
I've been hunting with a compound for many years (almost 20, now, actually).  It's one of the most gratifying ways to hunt, in my opinion, too.  It's tough sometimes - you go a while without seeing anything, then you see 12-14 deer in a single morning without a shot opportunity on a single one of them!  I enjoy the challenge, though.

The one word of advice I'll use is that you really have to think very differently about stand placement than when rifle hunting.  Field edges and food plots are great for a rifle, but have largely been highly UN-productive for me with a bow.  I hunt public land, and have found that getting in the woods a bit, understanding travel patterns, and postioning yourself to take advantage of them is crucial.  If you want to be within 25yds to get a shot, you have to know pretty much exactly where they're going to be.  Be ready to play the wind, too.  Good luck!
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 02:57:34 PM »
I do not hunt with a bow as much as I used to due to shoulder problems, but it is a blast being so close .I love all the gimmicks that we use and Murphys law is in affect, all that can go wrong will lol. Good luck.
Roger
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

ricky

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 05:11:17 PM »
i hunt with a compound bow and love it... i have killed one buck with a bow and have missed several! i gotta pratice more!!! i dont take it as seriously as i should but i continue to go during the early part of our deer season...im actually in the process of hanging bow hunting stands for next year this week! i like to hang those lock on's because they are easy to hang and they are cheap!! because of this i can stick them in several different places without much money invested! i've been going now on and off for about 25 years and still continue to go even though i have not killed a lot... my deer is coming though! i like those Rage broadheads! have you seen their video on their web page? those things open up and cut wide... he shot a lion and the lion got up to charge but decided that the rages were too much for him so he went and sit back down!!! www.ragebroadheads.com!
God Bless.

Dave55

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 06:21:56 PM »
I dont hunt with a compound but I am a bowhunting fanatic since 1982.I hunted with longbows and recurves for many years and for the last several with selfbows,whatever you use is personal preferance but is all sure a blast for sure.
Now is the good old days.

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 07:31:43 AM »
Dave :Can you fill us in on what a selfbow is and how it differs from the longbow and recurve.I had never even heard of one.
Thanks,
Roger
Roger

Dave55

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 11:31:53 AM »
Roger a selfbow is a bow made of all wood no fiber glass,pre fiber glass bows if you will.I make mostly osage or hickory flatbows ,1and 3/4 inches wide in the limb down to 1/2 inches at the tip.they are a blast to shoot and you can make a selfbow in many styles.Dave

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 12:12:33 PM »
Ricky: My nephew used the Rage on several deer in Arkansas last year.I couldn't believe the damage they did.
Thanks for the info.
Roger
Roger

ricky

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 05:43:40 PM »
terminator,
you're more than welcome... did you check out that web site? did you see where they shot the lion and he got up to charge them but changed his mind and went and sit back down?? those are some mean broad heads!!! i was shooting the muzzy's before i saw that and i changed over!!
God Bless.

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 10:03:28 PM »
yup ... i hunt with a bow also.  guess i would hunt with a gravel shooter if there was a season.  rick ... glad to see you here too!  what kind of equip. you fellas shoot? ... anyone used a trail camera much ... im thinking about trying one ... i just don't have alot of time with all the church work i do.  its been warm up here ... plus 3 or 4 ... shot my bow (bowtech tomkat) on tuesday ... gotta work on groups!!!
Ephesians 3:19

ricky

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 05:03:24 PM »
shane,
glad to see you on this post as well.... bow hunting keeps me in the woods longer even though im not that good at it yet but it's my own fault... i gotta shoot more often!!!

concerning what equipment i like to use, i shoot a matheews drenalin set at 60 pounds useing the easton axis full metal jacket arrows at 400 grains with solid white fletching and i top them with 100 grain rage broadheads 2 blades! i have it set out to 50 yards...

concerning trail cams, i do use them and lov them... in fact i have become addicted to them. i use the remingtons! they really get some great pictures! what i do is keep a folder on my desktop for all of the deer pics i get using my trail cam and because i get to see deer that i didnt know were even in the woods that i hunt it causes me to stay on my stand longer due to the fact that i know they are there! i think you would love them if you went out and got a few to start with... is there a wal mart there? they sell the remingtons for $100.00 and now they have another name brand for $50.00... thats not bad at all!
God Bless.

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 09:53:17 PM »
hey rick ... i shoot a bowtech tomkat ... 29"draw ... 66lbs.  easton powerflight carbon arrows ... i've been lookin gat the full metal jackets ... i may try a couple for elk and moose, they would have to penatrate better.  just installed a meta peep sight ... no rubber tubbing to slap around.  i think im pushing close to 300fps. ... maybe less.  speed is good but i am all about silence ... or at least quietness.  not so sure about those rage broadheads ... i was going to try grim reapers ... but finally decided on slick tircks 100grs.  fly good ... fly quiet.

we do have a wal-mart in town ... but the sporting goods section stinks ... do the remington cameras have a lock of somekind?? ... waterproof? ... battery life (esp. in the cold!)??  next time im down that way i'll check and see if they have em

thought i would let you know ... my wife and i just started the first secession in a discipleship course with 2 teens from our church.  they were saved back in the summer and have been growing slowly ... i really am thankful for mature christians that helped me along and know we are trying to help them ... we are plannign to meet every tuesday at 7:30pm ... they asked soem good questions tonight ... pray for them!

Serving HIM

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 07:47:00 AM »
Two of my friends use Slick Trick's and love them it's one I need to try. I use Magnus stingers and my son uses Steelforce.   I tried the Rage 3 blade and shot beautifully, but these where when they first came out and had the blades deploy when pulling gently  out of the quiver and in flight so I stopped using them  maybe they have gotten better, but they sure shot nice when they worked.  On the Reservation no mechanicals allowed.  Another friend uses Grim Reapers off the Res and of the Elk he's shot at really close range have left massive holes & hes using very heavy Alumninum shafts on an old PSE Baby G, real noisy bow. I only know less than a handful of local guy's that use mechanicals here on elk almost everyone uses very stout fixed blades.

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 01:23:06 PM »
couple of guys up here use grim reaper on elk ... i have never shot any big game with my bow ... i have shot at plenty but never connected ... maybe this spring on bear!  all bows today are plenty fast ... remember fred bear and his longbows / recurves ... blazing speed!! if your equip. is tuned and you put time in scouting then a shot inside of 20yrds should be cake ... if and when the day comes that i do actually stick an arrow through something i want to know that all blades are opened and intact!! put a well made broadhead in the lungs of anything and and give it a little time to do its job ... don't rush the trail job ... of course all this is just speculation until i actually connect ... is ti true that the first biggame with a bow is the hardest and then others come easier??? someone please tell me it does get easier!!!!

Dave55

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 03:22:23 PM »
A broadhead that I have used with alot of success is a Magnus Mag1 160 gr,its a fixed blade head 11/2 inches wide out of a 55 or 60 # bow they will blow thru a deer like a paper bag,the heavier front of center helps with that.