Spike Camp

.17 Remington vs .204 Ruger vs .17 HMR

Re: .17 Remington vs .204 Ruger vs .17 HMR
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 04:28:39 PM »
I love small calibre guns. Can you send me to a place where I can look at 17 center fire calibre guns? Perhaps, I dont read this right. I admit to being stupid about this..........Im new, so much has changed. I used to just shoot the deer. Now no one seems to be happy unless they can group a 5 shot group inside 1/2 inch. And thats after they make a perfect shot. I am sooooooo out of touch.
 I have never heard of a 17 remington center fire, but I like a gun that plinks.......300 weatherby magnum aint for me.
 I love toys! Thats all. thanks,  :)

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 05:08:38 PM »
Hubris:I believe several have made them including Remington,CZ, Marlin and others.Perhaps checkout the Rem site and the 17 Fireball in the 700.
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2012, 07:28:31 PM »
Didn't Remington have a big recall on the .17rem?  It might have been the ammo, but i remeber hearing something about it.

I don't think twice about coyotes out to 500 yrds with my 22-250 given the wind conditions, and i have been looking at the .204 in the R-15 for predators and even pigs with a head shot.
Chris -

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams

"Why run, you will only die tired." - Sniper

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2012, 09:34:54 AM »
I want to buy a new rifle for varmints and predators and am torn between the .17 Remington and .204 Ruger.  I haven't had any experience with either of these and am looking for info on your experiences with either to compare in addition to the ballistics.  Another caliber I am kicking around is the .17 HMR.

Not to hijack your post but I want to ask after reading this info and not having enough knowledge.......What about the 22 Hornet? Is the 223 a more perfect fit and we just jump over this calibre? I dont know, thats why I ask. The 17 remington seems expensive and difficult to get ammo unless your into re-loading. I imagine the answer is going to be that there are better bullets out there to do the same job better, but I dont know answer so I ask. Thanks,

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2012, 10:18:25 AM »
He didn't ask about 22's he asked about 17's and 20's.  The Hornet is a very cool old round. So is the 222 the 222 Mag and the 223. I don't think we jumped over it.  A Hornet necked down to a 20 might be a pretty neat little number though.   

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2012, 09:25:22 AM »
I didn't mention the .222 Remington or the .223 Remington because I already own them.  I have my choices narrowed down to the .17 Remington Center Fire (NOT the Fireball), .204 Ruger, and also considered the .17 HMR because I don't own any of these calibers and want to get a new gun, which I didn't get yet.  I do reload so ammo isn't a big issue for me. 

I also agree with Chip the .222 Remington and .22 Hornet (which I don't have but would buy if I saw one in good shape or new for a reasonable price.  So no  no one jumped over anything and don't worry hubis1 you didn't hijack my post.  To be quite honest I forgot about this post and am happy to see it's still getting responses.  Thanks everyone.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.