Spike Camp

Mule Deer hunting in Montana?

JC523

Mule Deer hunting in Montana?
« on: October 29, 2007, 06:30:02 PM »
Who has hunted Mule Deer in eastern MT?  I am looking at some different hunts there now and trying to decide on an outfitter.  Any comments, advice, etc?

Thanks.

skyline

Re: Mule Deer hunting in Montana?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 03:30:35 PM »
I have hunted in Montana a few times. In the east I can't say as I have ever seen any really good bucks. Lots of everyday 4 points that are nice representative mule deer, but nothing outstanding. There are a number of good outfitters in and around the Missouri River breaks.

I believe the Atcheson's from Butte, Montana have some mule deer hunts on their ranch. They are a reputable outfit and would probably be worth a look.

Kodiak

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 06:52:04 PM »
I have hunted in SE Montana for over 25 years and have seen very few trophy-class deer, be it white-tail or mule-deer. I hunt there for the antelope. Two years ago, I saw a 190 class white-tail buck, 6 big points on each side, but no tag in my pocket. The best mule-deer I saw there went over 30" with many points on each side, running with 5 other smaller bucks, on private property just off my place to hunt. Local ranchers said they never saw that buck again. Not to say there aren't any, I just can't brag on any place to help .

smithcha

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 04:28:07 PM »
I hunted Mule Deer in the 1970s on public land in MT. The hunting was great then I went back to Viet Nam. I never could get back to MT. Try the Beartooth area South of Greatfalls.

erskimo

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 07:57:14 PM »
I went to se montana this november on a guided antelop & mule deer hunt with seven other co workers. We went with Raw hide creek ranches as our outfitter and we all very suprized with the size and numbers of deer we saw. In the end we all taged out 5 out of 8 in the first day.

marcus69

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 03:49:57 PM »
You might contact  The Lodge at Diamond Cross in Birney, Mt.  I've hunted there the past two years and had good success.  The mule deer are big bodied, with tall racks.  Typical spread is 26'' to 28''.  Not terribly wide, but this year we shot a 190, 184 5/8, 181, 181, and a 179.  The 179 was a bow hunt.  You can count on seeing several hundred deer a day, great accomodations, and great guides.  Their web site is www.thelodgeatdiamondcross.com. - you can see past photos of deer taken.  I'm the goofy looking guy in the camo sweater - vertical picture.  That deer scored 184 5/8'' even with the broken tine.  While there you can also duck hunt, pheasant hunt, and coyote hunt. 

Gary

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 09:40:14 PM »
Rick Kasper, Rawhide Creek Outfitters.   If he can't find-em, nobody can.
Scott Arizona

sp6x6

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 12:18:09 PM »
I used to run into this guy Richard Birdsell , at bow shoots. He always ha a nice portfolio of pictures, nice guy. His outfit is northernrockiesoutfit.com. I'm a MT resident, Northwest but I hunt all over state. He has some nice spots on the East side, good luck.