Spike Camp

W-Nation member rifle

imr4198

W-Nation member rifle
« on: April 09, 2010, 07:28:23 AM »
   I imagine some of you have read my little fantasy about having a special edition WeatherbyNation rifle for just us club members.  I based it loosely on the dream rifle question results from my W-Nation census.   I threw out a suggestion for a maple stocked, bright blued barrel, matte blued receiver, 26", roll-engraved floorplate with WeatherbyNation or something similar on it, Mark V action, special serial number range from WN001-WN999.  Calibers maybe 257Wby or 300Wby.  I received a few atta boys and sign me ons.  I joke around a lot on this site, but I am serious about this idea.  I think the sign me up for one boys were too.  Or could be.
   Just thinking out loud now.  Lots of members on short hours at work or big expenses at home.  How about something similar as far as features and calibers but built on a Vanguard action instead?  I never have seen a tiger-stripe maple stocked Vanguard, but it could be a stunner.  More importantly, it should be a shooter. 
   How about a varmint version instead?  Vanguard, fluted Krieger barrel, 24", synthetic stock in OD green or maybe camo.  I believe I even like the idea of a laminate.  An oversize bolt knob that might look a little like the one on the XXII bolt gun.  Calibers could be a reissue of the old 224Wby, or 240Wby, or maybe the old 220Wby Rocket.   Same sort of floorplate markings and special serial number range.  The 240 is a heck of a dual purpose varmint/deer whacker.  A Rocket with the powders available now should be more viable than ever.  The 224 could be a real lollipop in most gun racks too.
   Could we talk Paso Robles into it?  Notice I didn't say Southgate.  How about it W-Nation.  If we want one I say all we have to do is speak up.  We can make our Weatherby dream rifle a reality.  Since we are still in the planning stage,  the time for input is now.

Chip

• View Profile
Re: W-Nation member rifle
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 07:43:55 AM »
Cool idea but I doubt there is enough volume in it as a product line to ever be anything other than a custom shop rifle. 

imr4198

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 07:59:50 AM »
Kimber does it ever so often with issues of 100 rifles or less.   Smith and Wesson also.  Besides it wouldn't be a product line.  Just a small production run of maybe 1000 rifles.  There is nothing outrageous about any of the specs to make them difficult to produce.  Everything is pretty much off the rack except for the combination of features.  Thanks for the input.  Anyone else have a view?

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 08:00:40 AM »
IMR: I think something about it should be a little different .Therefore your idea of a laminate stock would be good, maybe a thumbhole.Maybe make it a dressed up Vanguard so it would be more affordable to everyone and more sold.Stick with a proven seller caliber of the Weatherby line. Just my thoughts.
Roger
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

imr4198

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 08:06:27 AM »
Nothing hard and fast with my suggestions?  Everything is just theoretical at this point.  I see no reason why we shouldn't have a special edition members rifle if we pursue it, do you?  What do you like for calibers, Terminator? 

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 08:22:05 AM »
IMR:I am a 257 nut.I think probably keep it a Weatherby caliber .257,270,300 Weatherby.Perhaps a 240 Weatherby so that it is a little different and most may not already have one.With the calibers I am suggesting it would be nice to have the 26 in barrel though so there goes my thoughts about a Vanguard and keeping the price down.You are right in tha other gunmakers come out with a limited make.Last year I got a one time run Remington 700 LSS in 257 Weatherby Magnum because it had exactly what I wanted,a 26 in barrel ,laminated stock and stainless barrel.What does everyone else think?
Roger
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

imr4198

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 08:26:58 AM »
If someone wanted to see what a laminated thumb-hole varmint type Vanguard looks like, take a look at the Howa varminter.  I would like the stock better if it looked a little more Weatherby-esque, I think. 

fuonlynu

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 08:54:43 AM »
The lami stocks are just not ..Weatherby..   IMO. stay with nice wood or synthetic.

GrampaDavie

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 10:04:23 AM »
To check out the laminated thumbhole stocks look in the "Custom Rifle"  Section in this site.  Two (2) Vanguard Rifles are offered: a Varmint Thumbhole Laminate Rifle in .223 or .308 w/a 22" barrel and a Big Game Thumbhole Laminate in 7 calibers including .257 Wby & .300 Wby w/a 24" barrel.  Good looking rifles, IMO and priced around $800.  A good place to start for your W-Nation Special... :)

I also think you can dress them up in the Custom Section where you can upgrade a stock rifle, too.  Fluted barrels, checkered bolt knobs, jeweled bolts & receiver and all that.  You could certainly develop a very distinctive & desirable rifle if you play around for a bit there...;)     
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 10:07:05 AM by GrampaDavie »

John A Spencer

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 10:14:47 AM »
I'm in!!  Could it be a weatherby caliber of choice?  I know it would be tough to get everyone to agree on just one...257 or 270 for me.  Mark V, pretty wood.....urrgg-urrggg....

fuonlynu

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 10:25:54 AM »
First and foremost this rifle has to be in reach of all members who would like one ..ie.. affordable $$ we will have to create around this budget? so really nice wood=$$$ stainless=$$   fluting =$  engraving =$$$  Inlays =$$$  so we need to some establish a price cap. and it's a little hard to use the custom shop prices or the catalog to do this because we all know things are different in real world/street price, tho it will be custom or semi custom we will have to pay a price for that feature. so high end and or xxx grade is out? something to ponder..............Jim   ps. when can we place our order.. ;)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 10:31:20 AM by fuonlynu »

GrampaDavie

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 10:34:28 AM »
OK, I went and played around in the custom shop & a laminated BGR w/fluted 24"barrel, hand-honed action, damascened bolt & follower, custom floorplate (initials), custom target crown goes for $1,650, with an upgraded deluxe wood stock, not thumbhole, for around $1,770, and with any non-thumbhole synthetic stock for around $1,520.  These are simply price starting points, not absolutes, but they give you an idea of what you could get on your own.

Also, all are based on the Vanguard.

Comments? 

ETA: Finally, I like the idea of a W-Nation edition of some Weatherby rifle, imr4198.  Great idea...:)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 11:04:21 AM by GrampaDavie »

fuonlynu

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 11:30:41 AM »
GrampaDavie thanks, I know some of you are dead set on the mark-v action? which is fine but I also know some of you have seen the Nosler rifles and said OH WOW I like those? well guess what those are based on Howa actions???? I am 98% sure of this, cant tell you how I know  sorry. Any way so with that said I think the Vanguard would serve as a good platform and it would also boost it's popularity I would think? not to mention it would allow for more customization options......Jim

sseden

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 12:19:40 PM »
I'm with Fuonlynu -if you only new. The Mark action is the flagship model @ Weatherby, The Vanguard is the Battleship. My preference would be a teflon coated over stainless sub-moa in a laminate stock or the Blackhawk/Knoxx Comp/stock in  270WSM or 7mm, with a Timney trigger. But since Weatherby has given up stainless barrels on the Vanguard maybe all we could hope for would be blued and teflon coat.

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 12:51:06 PM »
Great idea IMR, make mine with a stainless steel barrel and a nice walnut stock, 7mm wby mag.
I love the smell of deer guts in the morning, it smells like...VICTORY!