Spike Camp

Crow Hunters

RuddyDuks

Crow Hunters
« on: April 23, 2010, 06:16:58 PM »
Any crow hunters out there ? Crow hunting is only second to Duck hunting for me . I hunt most of the time along flyways where crows concentrate and use a hand call & decoys . Crows are alot of fun and come to a call & decoys if you are hidden well and use camo . If you are a crow hunter what shotgun are you shooting and loads ?

Jim ( RuddyDuks )

Re: Crow Hunters
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 01:40:21 PM »
Jim:I used to hunt them years ago but have not lately.It was a lot of fun and I need to get back into it.I had trouble getting more than 1 at a Tim e coming in with a hand call but did much better with a casette call and speaker.I used a Remy 1100 and high brass 6 shot.What are you using?
Roger
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

kanebwild

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 11:03:52 AM »
Got into to "crowing" thru my father-in-law. He's been doing it for years probably 40 or more. We set up about 10 crow decoys, surrounding a single owl decoy in trees and make ground blind. We call with electronics and mouth call, crow/owl fight on electronics, crow gathering, etc. 

Someday pile up a few, sometimes over a hundred. It's tons of fun and lots of shooting.  We live and hunt in SW Missouri.

Texas2Wheeler

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 07:05:36 AM »
I've never tried calling or decoys no wonder I've killed less than a half dozen (more like 3 or 4 all during dove seasons) in my 51 years wandering this planet...     I'm in Central Texas, typically I don't see a lot of crows in my area, now and then will see droves of them.   Wondering if it would be worth investing in a call to see if I can bring more of them too me...   Or would I have better luck spreading corn over the same area for a couple of weeks ???   

chuckscap

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 07:56:44 PM »
I used to use Sierra 90g HPBTs at 3400 fps in my 270 in Montana shooting in the wheat fields during the fall.   Black fireworks at 300 yards!   I need to take my boy and do that again!

musicman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 09:26:49 AM »
Check your game regulations on the crow hunting pertinent to your state.  I am only the messenger here.  I have not checked my Texas hunting rules handbook, but I was told by a law enforcement officer that in Texas, supposedly you can kill crows all day long, as long as they are "decimating crops."  (Pecans, corn, maize, plowed peanut fields.)  Or something like that.  You can kill 'em, but you have to leave them lay untouched.  If you pile twenty of them up for a picture of the day's hunt, you are now "in possession" of them.  Funny, my Dad told me that when he was young, 1920's, there was a bounty on crows.  Twenty-five cents for each pair of legs you would bring in to the courthouse.  That bought a lot of .22 ammo for my Dad and uncles.  MM

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 03:08:39 PM »
I shoot at them when I get the chance. I have used my caller to call them in. We have weird seasons on them here in Indiana. But kind of weird we have two different seasons for them but nobody likes having them get in the trash, crap on everything, the noise they make and the amount of birds that carry diseases. When they are in season I shoot all that I can get a shot at.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

Chip

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 04:37:29 PM »
When I was a kid we used to hunt them with decoys and a fake owl and that is a lot of fun. They are not  too hard to call in with a hand call.  I have shot them with a lot of different things ranging from my .177 break open pellet rifle to my 6mm Rem. A 410 to a 12 ga on the shot gun side.  Funny thing I did a lot of work between Albquerque and Gallup NM a few years back and on one trip I took my crow call because there are a lot of crows or maybe ravens up there not sure.  Anyway they could have cared less about that crowl.  I guess a guy might need to try a few different ones if your not getting results.  An owl sounding call should work anywhere I would think.     

badsection

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 06:01:22 PM »
My dad and I hunted crows in the off season in Maryland before we go into shooting trap and skeet. Yup, we used decoys and calls.Not many crows here in Florida!

james7mmwby

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 07:21:58 PM »
I thought lots of old crows migrated to Fla. from Canada and the North East every winter  ;)

James

badsection

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 05:01:37 AM »
lol,James. Yes they do,but they are rich old crows! We call them "snow birds"here in Florida. Old Crow is also a bourbon ;D