Spike Camp

old ammunition question

Doug

• View Profile
old ammunition question
« on: November 05, 2007, 11:00:06 AM »
I was getting ready for deer gun season this weekend and found an old box of 7mm Weatherby cartriges that I had bought at a gun show years ago.  It has a bear on the front.  The inside flap it has 4 58 stamped on it.  Is this a date code or lot number? Does any one know?  It still has 18 rounds in it and no, I do not plan on firing them.

Bill

Re: old ammunition question
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 11:20:11 AM »
nd,
The box and remaining carts may have more collector value than the price of a new box. Anyhow, loaded Weatherby ammo should certainly be useable. Anything loaded under "contemporary" times is safe. If you have any doubts gently shake a cartridge and as long as the propellent isn't "caked" or clumped together it will fire just fine.
The typical problem with old ammo is the priming compound breaking down. At that, you'd have a dud. I mention "gently shake" only because propellent has a burn retardant coating and lengthly and vigorous shaking will cause the powder to burn at a different rate and accuracy would certainly suffer...that's ONE reason NOT to tumble LOADED cases.