Spike Camp

too much gun?

md11

too much gun?
« on: September 19, 2010, 06:30:23 PM »
hi all,

For now I'm just going to enjoy shooting, and smaller game hunting in North America but at some point I want to plan and go on a dream Safari trip... Just curious, I keep getting (though not from everyone) a constant theme that the .460 is "Too much gun" for even the hunts in Africa..  They say stuff like... "sell it and get a 458 or 375" or "you'll hate shooting it, cause it's got too much kick" to which I say that mine comes with a muzzle brake.. and then I get a "but that's going to make it too loud and the PH's won't allow it"..  I can't seem to win.  I love my .460, I shot it well, and I don't want to sell it.   Are these on-line forum guys correct? or shall I stick with my guns (pardon the pun) and bring my 460 on the Safari .. Going for Cape Buff one of these days (or years)..   I do have a 300 Win Mag but that's below regulation's from what I understand.

It just seems like there is a lot of childish hate towards this caliber..

thanks all

« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 09:19:40 PM by md11 »

Re: too much gun?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 08:37:07 PM »
Too much  gun:No such thing if you are comfortable with it and can hit.If a PH won't accept you with a Brake, find one that will.I guarantee you will.I wanted to take a 257 for plains game and some said it would not work.Screw them, I found one that was very reputable and would.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

mossie

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 09:37:34 PM »
I agree with Rodger, there is no such thing as to much gun. Aspesialy when it comes to CapeBuff, any reputable PH will tell you bring the biggest gun you are comfortable shooting. I am from Namibia and I come from a hunting family and all my family will tell you if you messup on the big five your life is in danger till that animal is dead or you are back home in the USA.
It has been done with smaller gun, but why take the risk if you own a 460 and you shoot it well.
Be safe, shoot straight and make sure you can shoot follow up shots fast. Very few guys can say they dropped CapeBuff with one shot. Maybe start working on a load that will hold together in those buffs.
Gary ;)

marty44

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 02:45:31 PM »
If you like shooting the 460, more power to you (pun intended).  Don't listen to the critics.
Too much gun?  Heck, I know a local hunter who likes to take squirrels with his 45-70 (head shots only).

johnp034

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 01:35:45 AM »
Too much gun is never a problem, too little is!  Here in Tennessee, a few years ago, they made it legal to use any centerfire caliber for Whitetails.  In the past it was .24 cal. or larger.  Now every body with a 6 or 7 year old child, owns a Rossi or H&R .223 single shot.  No recoil & also not sufficient for deer hunting.  Lots of wounded deer running around and dying later.  I know, I know, many deer have been killed with the old .22 and rightly so, but in competent hands of skilled marksmen, not novice children.  P.S., there is no age limit in Tennessee, so as soon as the young un's can hold a gun, they are legal.  Yep, a .460 makes a large hole, not quite as big as a 12 gauge slug, but if you shoot em thru the rib cage, it won't mess up too much of the edible parts.  Go for it!

Gray Ghost Safaris

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 03:40:27 PM »
The minimum caliber for DG hunting in many African countries is listed as .375 or, some use a foot pounds of energy. However, this is not written law in most countries, rather a guideline. Many have adapted this into hearsay "law" but in reality, it's a good rule. However, your .460 is excellent for Cape Buffalo, especially if you shoot it well. Buffalo are extremely tenacious animals and can adsorb a great amount of shock. Putting one down with the first shot is not the norm, but true, many have been dropped with one shot. It all boils down to shot placement. Having a mental attitude of "I have one, and only one shot" will help you make that first shot count. Don't expect that dugga boy to drop in his tracks. They usually run off in the direction they are facing. Thus many hunters claim on a frontal shot, they were charged, when in fact the buff was only doing his thing: running straight ahead. You don't really want a charge. Too much of that nonsense can get someone killed (and that does happen unfortunately). As for your muzzle brake, just be sure your PH knows about it. If he happens to be standing aside you when you squeeze the trigger, he could suffer permanent hearing loss. Good hunting, David

james7mmwby

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 04:08:39 PM »
No such thing as long as you can shoot it accurately and comfortably. I have seen many videos when the PH, trackers etc all have fingers in their ears when the client is shooting, a 223 or a 460 will damage ears if your in the wrong position. I am sure most PH's are mindful of their hearing. There are bigger guns than 460's out there, 577 T-rex, 600 NE and 700 NE and some others I'm sure. People love to nock what they don't have or understand. I don't think any Safari outfitter is going to turn down your $. good shooting

James

johnp034

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 09:08:48 PM »
"It may not actually be needed for shooting large and dangerous game, but it is a handy thing to have around for STOPPING large and dangerous game."

Taken from Hodgdon's 26 Edition, 1992

Awesome cartridge, totally awesome!

DocHolladay

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 09:36:27 PM »
Never been to Africa, but like everyone else, you cant have to much gun!!!

johnp034,

The statement you made below is partially true, IMO. There are lots of wounded deer running around and dying later from .223's. Its not the caliber, its the bullet choice that is causing it. The majority of people that buy ammo for their kids, wives or themselves in .223 tend to get the cheapest ammo they can find or what is on the shelf, which usually happens to be varmint ammo. I keep a few boxes of "the good stuff" on the shelf for people that tend to use it for deer. The last stuff I bought was CorBon DPX in 53gr. It is high dollar, but it has the penetration and slow expansion that is need to kill deer sized game. I make sure and educate everyone that comes in the store and buys a .223 rifle for a small stature person to make sure they understand what ammo they need for deer. Whether they listen of not is up to them. I know that I have done my part to educate and provide them with the knowledge needed to help their beginning hunter have a successful hunt.

Now every body with a 6 or 7 year old child, owns a Rossi or H&R .223 single shot.  No recoil & also not sufficient for deer hunting.  Lots of wounded deer running around and dying later.

klong67

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 11:29:13 AM »
Like everyone here already said....No such this as too much! The best performance I ever had or have seen was when I shot a small Whitetail with my 375 H&H! Less meat loss than a 270 Win and an instant kill!! The main thing is that you have to be able to shoot it well! There is only one kind of dead, but many kinds of wounded!

Ken

gus2622

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 12:12:47 PM »
Hi guys I go with John P. and also,the right bullet and placement.

BigBronz215

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2011, 06:09:55 PM »
i dont really worry about the kick of the gun because that just hunting

340RollTide

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2011, 07:47:05 PM »
Sorry to hear all the bad talk about one fabulous rifle. Don't listen to the jerks that all they do is put down a rifle or caliber for reason they have probably only heard, and never expierenced themselves. They are simply resounding the negative press they either read in a magazine or saw on some dumb TV program.
There is an old PH saying, "It is better to be over gunned all the time, than under gunned anytime!"
If you can hit what you want and where you want to hit it, then use the 460 and tell the other idiots to go play with themselves, and stop jerking you around. your 460 has no cause to drop its head for any reason or any body. >:(
Roll Tide
Tom

Chip

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 09:09:50 AM »
If it takes a four man crew to shoot it it might be too much gun other than that your good.

Captain Finlander

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 09:32:58 AM »
Have you all seen the video's of the newbies shooting the 577 T-Rex on you-tube.  Hilarious!  :D

But not too much gun when the chips are down.  People still die hunting in Africa every year. 

If you want to put things in perspective try this on.  The 223 is considered to small for deer but it offers 1000 foot lbs  of energy at 100 yards for a 150 to 200 class animal.   

The 375 H&H magnum shooting an elephant at 100 yards generates approximately 3300 foot lbs of energy for a 10,000 pound animal.  The 375 only offers  3x more power but the animal is 50 times bigger. 

So in theory only, you could use a 50 BMG on elephants and still be equivalent to the 223 on deer.   

So of course I left out allot of variables but which is more ethical?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 09:36:45 AM by Captain Finlander »