Spike Camp

Moose hunt 2010

mike cardinal

Moose hunt 2010
« on: October 03, 2010, 07:21:26 PM »
Well I got through the first day of this years moose hunt. First i hiked about 4 miles down an old sismic line. It was very well overgrown and difficult to navigate. I did a lot of calling with no luck. Drove around with the quad for a couple of hours and then did some driving in the pik-me-up.
With 15 minutes of legal hunting left the verdict was in.
BLACK HAWK DOWN :) 8) ;D (it was a drive by shooting)
Pics to follow when i get home. butchering tommorow. Elk hunt day after.
Good luck to yah all. Mike
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 07:26:45 PM by mike cardinal »

Re: Moose hunt 2010
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 11:14:00 AM »
Congrats Mike:Eagerly awaiting Picts and story.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

mike cardinal

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 05:54:59 PM »
thanks Roger. should be tomorrow.

swpahunter

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 06:05:23 PM »
Mike,

Congratulations!!!!

The next thing to do after the butchering is to post some pictures with a report of your hunt.  I enjoy the stories as much as the pictures.

I can hardly wait.

mike cardinal

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 09:56:53 PM »
I will get the pictures out there. probably tomorrow. i finished the buchering today. my wife was not overly impressed with me though.
She says I just dont listen to her. (or something like that)

johnp034

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 05:34:09 AM »
Great job, Mike.  Which weapon of choice did you use?  Bull or cow?

mike cardinal

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 05:15:32 PM »
Finally got home. Pics are here but first the story. With about 10 - 15 min of legal hunting time left to the day I spotted a moose on the side of the road. This after spending a day on quad in the back back country. This after wearing out  3 of my feet hiking around marshy bush and cut lines. Now when i have packed up and heading to bush camp to meet up with dad and a family friend i spot moosy standing on the side of the trail. DARN >:( it's a cow.(I have bull only tag) I sneak up in the truck watching her and I notice something in the brush behind her that looks like it may be another moose. Cow steps further out in the road and YES :) there's another moose. DANG :'( it's a @#$% calf. I got out and put the scope on them for a better look and when I took the scope away again to look with my eyes again HOORAY :o There's a BULL. He just stepped out of the bush. I jam the clip in the mag. and jack a shell. 1 second, 2 seconds BANG. Right in the side of the head. You will notice an eye popped out of it's socket in the pics. He dropped like he'd been body slammed. Game over. Sad thing is, to answer John034 I used my benelli .300 win mag. Please forgive me Wby but I'm still going to post the pics.

Next day. day light pics

Look boys no bullet damage to deal with. This was the easiest butchering i have ever done.

johnp034

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 05:30:24 PM »
Nice hindquarters, Mike!  Man, didn't take you long to put that guy in the freezer!  I'd have to say, you've done that once or twice before, huh?

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 05:31:29 PM »
Mike,
 Congrats, looks like one happy hunter to me!
                                            74sharps

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 07:18:24 PM »
Mike:Thanks for the picts and story.Looks like the Ugly POS Benelli did you good  ;D.Uhhhh can I have it?
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

james7mmwby

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 07:35:08 PM »
Looks like a great freezer bull Mike. Nice meat cutting to. You could probably make a few extra dollars on the side with that set up.

James

zonie

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 07:42:41 PM »
Mike :  You got the Apron and the whole nine yds.  Good job.    Ron

mike cardinal

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 10:16:33 PM »

James. The cooler is my good friends. He built a small cubical in the corner of a not so large garage and put a reefer unit in the wall. It works awsome. We do all our meat their. A regular production line. Everthing is bleached and cleaned before and after. The cutting tables etc. are never used for anything else. We're just a bunch of back yard pros.
P.S. Round steaks and spuds for supper. They were exellent. The last moose i shot was 47 3/4 inches widest and just as long forward spread. Big Big bull. Too tough to eat. We even had to slow cook T-bones. This young fella is tender as a spring calf.
Now to get an elk. I have very few days off now and rut is long over. Not answering calls. Even the hoochie mama failed to get results. Well thanks for letting me brag a bit. Take er easy. Mike

james7mmwby

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 11:25:19 PM »
Too bad you only had the bull tag. Were you party hunting on the one tag or were you flying solo.
Where I hunt just North of town all residents get a calf tag and the draw is for an adult cow or bull. One year we had a cow and bull tag between 7 of us and my buddy Jim ( who always seems to shoot the moose ) runs into a cow, calf and bull and drops all three on Monday morning. Needless to say we stopped moose hunting for the rest of the week and just went bird hunting and listened to Jim go on and on ....

James

mike cardinal

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 07:38:05 AM »
All three of us had moose tags and general elk tags. We have a central camp set up and go out in three directions like a hub. We meet back at camp 3 times a day and relay our results. If something promising turns up we plan a hunt together.
Dad got his bull to. Just slightly bigger than mine. I have to go to work this morning. For two wks straight. They are still out chasing their tails around the bush. When hunting for elk we stay as a group but for moose we divide and work the spokes of an imaginary wheel. Get back in the bush deep and sit and  call. That way the area bull is more likely to hear one or the other of us.