Spike Camp

Yesterday's hunt

Brett

Yesterday's hunt
« on: November 09, 2010, 07:39:15 AM »
Had an awesome hunt yesterday. I work the weekend and so missed opening weekend of muzzleloader season. The guys on our lease sighted a nice shooter buck on Saturday. Sunday morning one of the guys got a shot at him and missed. I took my turn yesterday and early in morning had a four point walk right by me under my stand. The guys had been letting smaller bucks go and I really had my mind set on the big buck they had been seeing so watched him go by. The rest of the day went by listening to distant sound of chainsaw and skid loader without seeing any deer, until about 1  hour before dark. A doe ran in with a spike behind her. She stopped twenty yards from my stand. I watched in awe as that small buck bred her twice. They stayed within fifty or so yards of me for about 45 minutes. Then doe started running again and buck took off after her.
   I have hunted deer since 1990 and never have I witnessed this before. I never saw the big boy that had been sighted. May have run three counties over, went nocturnal or  your guess is good as mine after being shot at.  I felt it a great hunt that those deer never considered my presence there and  that I had been in the right place at the right time.