Spike Camp

Who has the oldest Weatherby rifles?

DHard

Re: Who has the oldest Weatherby rifles?
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2018, 10:52:41 PM »
I have serial number 106 in 300 Weatherby Magnum.  It is stamped with South Gate, Calif on the left.  How old is it?

I would put it at 68

I think 1949.  ‘68 would have a prefix, it would not have a round nose, and would not be on a Mauser action, right?

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2018, 06:52:10 PM »
68 Years old.You asked how old is it not what year made.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

DHard

« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2018, 08:44:27 PM »
68 Years old.You asked how old is it not what year made.

My apologies 224KING.  I had read most of your posts wondering how I could be so wrong on this one.  Obviously you know your stuff.  I found a group of guns that have me wondering if Roy Weatherby had something to do with each one.  I will post pictures this weekend.  The deceased owner, Carl Vincent Little, lived in Fremont, Ca.  The guns include a Sporterized 1942 G33/40, engraved by Jos. Leuthner; #106 I posted here, a modified US 1917 Remington Enfield, and more.  I’ve been around guns my whole life and knew about Weatherbys, but didn’t know if he was customizing guns.  i.e. machine turning bolts to include the bolt knob.  The craftsmanship is just too good to be the average Joe gunsmith. 

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2018, 09:04:17 PM »
Sure could be.That fits the profile before he started building rifles with his chamberings.He would take your rifle and put his signatures to it.

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

DHard

« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2018, 09:58:16 PM »
Sure could be.That fits the profile before he started building rifles with his chamberings.He would take your rifle and put his signatures to it.

224KING, Please have a look at these guns and let me know your thoughts.  Do they carry Roy Weatherby's signature work?

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2018, 06:10:58 PM »
Generally if he took in a rifle and did work it came out with a white diamond in the pistol grip cap,a rosewood tip on the fore end and a honey comb butt pad with an inscription that read "Weatherbys Tomorrows Rifle Today" then Southgate,California.

Remember 10534

DHard

« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2018, 10:50:37 PM »
Generally if he took in a rifle and did work it came out with a white diamond in the pistol grip cap,a rosewood tip on the fore end and a honey comb butt pad with an inscription that read "Weatherbys Tomorrows Rifle Today" then Southgate,California.

Thank you sir.

badsection

« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2018, 01:51:10 PM »
Been reading through all 5 pages here. My Mark V has a 60th birthday coming up on 9-4-18.  I do believe I have the oldest Mark V, 33rd one ever made!   :)

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2018, 04:33:11 PM »
Bad, Is there a story behind how you came to own the 33rd oldest Weatherby?
DosEquisShooter

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2018, 05:23:05 PM »
Being the cheap bastard that he is, he found a good deal and jumped on it.  ;D ;D ;D  Just kidding, but I had to do it.  8)  I'm sure I'll hear about it. LOL!!!!!
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2018, 09:48:35 PM »
Tra la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la, Happy Birthday Sweet Sixty! (Neil Sedaka) Anyway, she's probably the prettiest Sixty year old around.
DosEquisShooter

badsection

« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2018, 06:16:05 AM »
You are correct, PARA45.  :)  I bought it on Gun Broker from a dealer in Texas at a decent price . I do believe the seller had no clue what he had. I wasn't sure either till I had it in my hands and we discussed at length here.  It is a 1 in 12 barrel so it is limited to  .270 lighter weight bullets. It does real well with 110gr. TSX.  I did spring for the $50 history on it. It was sold to a dealer in Texas (not the same one I bought it from) on 9/4/58  Here's a picture of the action when I first got it.  :D
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 08:28:13 AM by badsection »

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2018, 08:55:38 AM »
Good story Bad. A good deal on a priceless rifle, and a great niche of Weatherby history belongs to you.
DosEquisShooter

badsection

« Reply #73 on: August 24, 2018, 09:25:38 AM »
Here it is wearing a Nikon Prostaff 7 3-12x42 in Talleys.   :)

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 24, 2018, 10:00:37 AM »
She's a Looker alright! Love to see tiger stripes in a stock, just makes it stand out more.
DosEquisShooter